Moparts

Recomendations for VIN plate paint removal

Posted By: JamaicaBlue

Recomendations for VIN plate paint removal - 12/07/13 04:47 PM

I am currently restoring my dash and I want freshen up the VIN plate on my Challenger.

What is the best method of removing the paint?

What paint do you recommend for the VIN plate?

Re: Recomendations for VIN plate paint removal - 12/07/13 10:50 PM

Is the paint a semi-gloss or flat black?
Posted By: Stewpar

Re: Recomendations for VIN plate paint removal - 12/07/13 10:54 PM

Semi-Gloss. Mautz makes a really nice semi-gloss black that is a perfect match.
Posted By: mopar346

Re: Recomendations for VIN plate paint removal - 12/08/13 03:55 PM

Cut the rivets off from the backside and push them through. Do not drill them, it will cause them to stin and damage/scar the plate. I blasted mine lightly and it came out great, I only blasted the front side the back was excellent.

Re: Recomendations for VIN plate paint removal - 12/08/13 04:02 PM

Quote:

Cut the rivets off from the backside and push them through. Do not drill them, it will cause them to stin and damage/scar the plate. I blasted mine lightly and it came out great, I only blasted the front side the back was excellent.

Thanks for the advice. What paint did you use and were you happy with the results?

I tried finding the paint recommended in the post above but I could not find any place local that sells it.
Posted By: pacifica

Re: Recomendations for VIN plate paint removal - 12/08/13 04:44 PM

Quote:

I think cutting off rivets from a dash that you are restoring is opening the door for

All it takes is a little extra time and effort to carefully mask the tag for stripping or painting.
Posted By: mopar346

Re: Recomendations for VIN plate paint removal - 12/09/13 03:33 AM

Never had any trouble cutting them off, just use a cut off wheel and becareful. Besides with a padded dash (Es, late Bs) you have to remove it to replace the pad.

Jamaica, I used Rustolium satin black and was pleased with the results. Painted it flat first but it was too flat so I went back with the satin.
© 2024 Moparts Forums