Moparts

71 Challenger Wide Hood/Fender Molding Question

Posted By: JAK

71 Challenger Wide Hood/Fender Molding Question - 11/01/13 01:11 AM

How were the wide fender moldings mounted to fender? Pictures of screw and fender would be appreciated.

Thanks
Posted By: YYZ

Re: 71 Challenger Wide Hood/Fender Molding Question - 11/01/13 03:02 AM

There are 6 special clips, 3 per fender that locate the trim and serve as an anchor for the screws that hold the fender pieces on
Posted By: v8punch

Re: 71 Challenger Wide Hood/Fender Molding Question - 11/01/13 02:19 PM

Re: 71 Challenger Wide Hood/Fender Molding Question - 11/01/13 02:30 PM

So here are the clips (old photo - I can take closeups on the weekend)

The large end drops into the large holes pictured on the fenders - the small nub drops into the smaller holes to locate the clips.

The screws are a #6 or #8 oval head, chrome plated, that drive through the large part of the plastic clip and expand it like an anchor into the fender.

Attached picture 7907744-Widefenderclips.jpg

Re: 71 Challenger Wide Hood/Fender Molding Question - 11/01/13 02:36 PM

And the correct fasteners for the hood piece are these short, plated bolts with 3 raised dots along with the stamped speed nuts for the studs.

Attached picture 7907755-Widechromebolts.jpg

Re: 71 Challenger Wide Hood/Fender Molding Question - 11/01/13 02:40 PM

Closeup of the bolt

Attached picture 7907766-Widechromebolt2.jpg
Posted By: tpabayflyer

Re: 71 Challenger Wide Hood/Fender Molding Question - 11/03/13 02:33 AM

Wow... First time I have seen those clips??? I have an nos center piece with the correct bolts but the fender pieces did not come with the clips? I have set the fender pieces on and they sit pretty secure..... I was just planning on using the chrome screws?? TBF
Posted By: astrobuf

Re: 71 Challenger Wide Hood/Fender Molding Question - 11/05/13 04:17 AM

Vlad,

Give me a call.

Pat
Posted By: m46rat

Re: 71 Challenger Wide Hood/Fender Molding Question - 11/05/13 07:29 PM

Quote:

The large end drops into the large holes pictured on the fenders - the small nub drops into the smaller holes to locate the clips.

The screws are a #6 or #8 oval head, chrome plated, that drive through the large part of the plastic clip and expand it like an anchor into the fender.

The heads of each screw are painted the same color of black as the painted black line on all three of the molded pot metal pieces.
Posted By: m46rat

Re: 71 Challenger Wide Hood/Fender Molding Question - 11/05/13 07:31 PM

Quote:

And the correct fasteners for the hood piece are these short, plated bolts with 3 raised dots along with the stamped speed nuts for the studs. [/quot

The speed nuts are not used, the bolts are attached through the hood and directly into the back of the long hood moulding. You can see the holes in the back of the moulding where the bolts go.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: 71 Challenger Wide Hood/Fender Molding Question - 11/05/13 07:41 PM

Quote:

That is what was on my 1971 318 flat hood car and it looked untouched when i got it
© 2024 Moparts Forums