Moparts

3 Questions Regarding Bench Seat Tracks

Posted By: Baller

3 Questions Regarding Bench Seat Tracks - 10/12/13 04:03 AM

I purchased a bench seat for my '70 GTX and had three questions:
1)Is there supposed to be a steel cable that connects this adjuster to the one on the drivers side (labelled A in the photo)?
2)Does anyone know where I can get another of these springs? I assume the drivers side track should have one as well (labelled B).
3)Before I start pounding happily away, is there a proper way to remove these studs as one is broken (second photo)?

[image][/image]

[image][/image]
Posted By: 68jim

Re: 3 Questions Regarding Bench Seat Tracks - 10/12/13 05:48 PM

Yes, there should be a solid steel wire that connects the two. Mine is a 68 RR so I would assume it should be pretty close to your 70. The wire does not go straight across but up to a J hook in the frame - see pictures - I don't think they would be available as a repop, so unless you can find one used I would suggest to use some wire that they use for hanging heavy picture frames. My studs were good so not much help with that. I would think they are just pressed in. I would replace with a good grade bolt and have someone with a welder tack the bolt to the frame.

Jim

Attached picture 7885114-P2200288.JPG

Re: 3 Questions Regarding Bench Seat Tracks - 10/12/13 05:49 PM

Attached picture 7885116-P2200289.JPG

Re: 3 Questions Regarding Bench Seat Tracks - 10/12/13 05:51 PM

Attached picture 7885118-P2200290.JPG

Re: 3 Questions Regarding Bench Seat Tracks - 10/12/13 05:53 PM

# last

Attached picture 7885121-P2200291.JPG
Posted By: cbusters

Re: 3 Questions Regarding Bench Seat Tracks - 10/12/13 10:12 PM

Quote:

I purchased a bench seat for my '70 GTX and had three questions:
1)Is there supposed to be a steel cable that connects this adjuster to the one on the drivers side (labelled A in the photo)?
2)Does anyone know where I can get another of these springs? I assume the drivers side track should have one as well (labelled B).
3)Before I start pounding happily away, is there a proper way to remove these studs as one is broken (second photo)?
Quote:

Stud can be cut off flush on the thread side and then a hammer should knock the head off. Replace it with a Carriage Bolt. A quick visual reproduction would to chuck it in a drill and spin the head against a bench grinder to turn it into a stud. Weld it at the square part of the shank.

Re: 3 Questions Regarding Bench Seat Tracks - 10/12/13 10:19 PM

Thanks Guys. I think I'll use some lightweight steel cable to connect both sides. I see that I am also missing the rubber(?) isolators that fit between the stud and floor. And your picture Jim confirms that I'm missing the one spring as I suspected. Any thoughts where to get the isolators (mind you I haven't looked yet)?

Re: 3 Questions Regarding Bench Seat Tracks - 10/12/13 10:25 PM

Dante's has the spacers ($4 each-fair price) and Ebay has the spring $36
© 2024 Moparts Forums