Moparts

71 Challenger head light bezel install

Posted By: 340ShakerR/T

71 Challenger head light bezel install - 09/26/13 12:46 AM

Hey guys, I am finally installing my grille and headlight bezels on my chally. The bezels where not on the car when I purchased it and I do not have any of the screws and clips to install them. Does anyone know where I can get all of the clips and screws? Thanks.
Posted By: YYZ

Re: 71 Challenger head light bezel install - 09/26/13 01:03 AM

R/T Specialties

The Loose Screw

http://www.ebay.com/itm/70-71-72-73-74-D...3c4&vxp=mtr

Re: 71 Challenger head light bezel install - 09/26/13 02:00 PM

OK, great! Thanks. Are there some kind of clips that attach on the fender lip? Or is the screw supposed to go directly into the fender? The holes look too big for just screws.
Posted By: KillerBee

Re: 71 Challenger head light bezel install - 09/26/13 02:06 PM

There are clips that slide on the tabs on the fenders that the screws go through.

There are 2 1971 Challenger grill hardware kits, one for R/T models and one for non R/T model.

I had trouble with the plastic inserts(bag #5 in picture) that slide into the slotted ends of the center grill and the headlight bezels screw into.
They didn't look like the original ones I took off and I couldn't get them to work so I reused the factory ones.

Here is the R/T kit
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-71-Challen...d76&vxp=mtr

Attached picture 7866416-7792186-cleanrt.jpg
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: 71 Challenger head light bezel install - 09/26/13 02:13 PM

Quote:

OK, great! Thanks. Are there some kind of clips that attach on the fender lip? Or is the screw supposed to go directly into the fender? The holes look too big for just screws.

On the fender, there are 3 clips per fender IIRC. Then, there are to the 4 sliding nut plates that slide into the grille ) 2 per side. These are the anchor points for the two inboard screws. Now, I had to massage the sliding clips a wee bit so they would slide into the grille grooves..

Inboard bezel attach points: 71 Challenger thread of mine

I have attached a picture of the grille attach hardware kit. You will notice the 6 clip/screw pairs ( those go in the fenders )

Attached picture 7866430-grille_hardware.jpg

Re: 71 Challenger head light bezel install - 09/26/13 02:18 PM

PERFECT! Thanks guys. I'll get some coming.

Re: 71 Challenger head light bezel install - 10/01/13 08:07 PM

Got the parts, I did have to work the plastic nuts that slide into the grille. I did manageto get them to work. Now I have to ask, what is the best way to instll the 5 large plastic push in fasteners that hold the top of the grille in place? They push in pretty hard!
Posted By: KillerBee

Re: 71 Challenger head light bezel install - 10/01/13 08:44 PM

Quote:

Got the parts, I did have to work the plastic nuts that slide into the grille. I did manageto get them to work. Now I have to ask, what is the best way to instll the 5 large plastic push in fasteners that hold the top of the grille in place? They push in pretty hard!

I had to lightly crush the christmas tree end with pliers to get them to fit.

Trial and error, don't get carried away.
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: 71 Challenger head light bezel install - 10/01/13 10:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I had to lightly crush the christmas tree end with pliers to get them to fit.

Trial and error, don't get carried away.

Yes, don't push the issue too hard...... The holes might be smaller due to paint? The buttons pushed in rather nice ( and firm ), on Hoss' '71.

Good Luck

Re: 71 Challenger head light bezel install - 10/06/13 05:59 PM

Got the grille and headlight bezels installed! Looks awesome. I warmed up the christmas trees in warm water, sprayed a shot of pledge on them and popped them right in. Thanks for the help.
© 2024 Moparts Forums