Moparts

Replacement battery assistance

Posted By: mastiffd

Replacement battery assistance - 08/06/13 11:39 AM

I'm interested in purchasing a TurboStart S27MRL AGM Sealed 1969-74 Mopar Battery, Red Cap, 960 CCA.

I've only purchased the acid filled ones in the past (not happy with them) and was wondering if any of you folks have any experience with these sealed maintenance free ones.

Also, is there a preferred company to purchase from?

Thanks
Posted By: silent-H-wheel

Re: Replacement battery assistance - 08/06/13 12:48 PM

I've had good luck with the AGM battery you're interested in. They seem to last longer than the liquid filled batteries. The last AGM battery I had lasted about 5 years.

I'm in the market for one too, and have bought, and will buy again from TurboStart. Actually, I have one on order from them. They are the manufacturer of the battery. This way, you're getting a fresh battery shipped right to your door.

The batteries are backordered right now due to component part availability. I got this info straight from TurboStart customer service. They have many back orders to fill, and will make a run this week and another in mid-August as the components flow in to the battery manufacturing plant.
Posted By: burdar

Re: Replacement battery assistance - 08/06/13 02:28 PM

Fred Gilmore

You'll find his contact info here if you do a search.
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: Replacement battery assistance - 08/06/13 02:49 PM

Quote:

Fred Gilmore

You'll find his contact info here if you do a search.

He can't get any right now either. I am waiting for him to be able to get one for me after the factory is able to finally makes some.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Replacement battery assistance - 08/06/13 03:37 PM

Antique auto battery in Ohio. Nice people, and they can take apart and work on those AGM batteries if something goes bad.

Re: Replacement battery assistance - 08/07/13 12:00 AM

Quote:

Antique auto battery in Ohio. Nice people, and they can take apart and work on those AGM batteries if something goes bad.

According to their website they only carry 65-74 group 27 in green and yellow caps.
Unfortunately I need red caps.
Could be because of the back order issue I suppose.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Replacement battery assistance - 08/07/13 12:29 AM

My battery came from them and it has red caps.Call them and ask.
Posted By: Ludington1

Re: Replacement battery assistance - 08/08/13 05:42 AM

I bought one yesterday from Summit for a good price and free shipping, backordered until mid August.

Darren
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Replacement battery assistance - 08/08/13 05:49 PM

I got sick of the high dollar purchase of these batteries every few years so I did the hide a lightweight dry cell racing battery inside of the repro case trick.

Attached picture 7807152-Odysseyinsideofstockbattery.jpg
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Replacement battery assistance - 08/08/13 05:50 PM

Looks all stock from the outside & saved liked 26 lbs.

Attached picture 7807161-100_1698[640x480-2].jpg
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Replacement battery assistance - 08/09/13 01:07 AM

Did'nt 2 guys in the other thread say they tried the "smaller battery in the casing" trick and had them grenade from gassing out ??? Something else must be going on with Turbostart this year...Seems there's been alot of excuses on why the batteries are'nt being made...Mabe the overseas boat with the components is'nt making port on a regular basis...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Replacement battery assistance - 08/09/13 04:51 PM

Which other board? Never heard of them gassing out and grenading befoer and I know a bunch of people doing this mod.

Re: Replacement battery assistance - 08/09/13 06:01 PM

FWIW - I received my backordered battery today from TurboStart. They're rolling again.
Posted By: 1MYTGTX

Re: Replacement battery assistance - 08/09/13 10:33 PM

Quote:

Which other board? Never heard of them gassing out and grenading befoer and I know a bunch of people doing this mod.

No problems here....

Re: Replacement battery assistance - 08/09/13 10:45 PM

Quote:

I got sick of the high dollar purchase of these batteries every few years so I did the hide a lightweight dry cell racing battery inside of the repro case trick.

How exactly are you guys doing this?
The picture looks as though the small battery is laying on its side when the repro case is upright.
Also, how are the oe battery cables situated?

Re: Replacement battery assistance - 08/10/13 01:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

How exactly are you guys doing this?
The picture looks as though the small battery is laying on its side when the repro case is upright.
Also, how are the oe battery cables situated?

I made a nice little how to thread here....

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...&PHPSESSID=

Re: Replacement battery assistance - 08/10/13 04:50 PM

Quote:

I made a nice little how to thread here....

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...&PHPSESSID=

Genious!
Posted By: ogopogo

Re: Replacement battery assistance - 08/13/13 02:21 AM

I was going to do this mod myself since i now have 4 repro group 27 batteries laying around that are junk.unfortunatly the PC925 battery itself is $200 so i dont really see the point in all the effort when its not much cheaper ($30) than just buying the repro battery and not having to screw around with acid etc.

Re: Replacement battery assistance - 08/13/13 12:45 PM

I can understand going through all the trouble to put the small battery in the original style case if you're looking for weight savings for racing (Near Stock Muscle Car Drag Race), but seems like a lot of messy work to save $30-$50 if you're just going to shows or cruising your car.

Time is money.

Re: Replacement battery assistance - 08/14/13 10:48 PM

Quote:

I was going to do this mod myself since i now have 4 repro group 27 batteries laying around that are junk.unfortunatly the PC925 battery itself is $200 so i dont really see the point in all the effort when its not much cheaper ($30) than just buying the repro battery and not having to screw around with acid etc.

The batteries went up a bit since I did the conversion ( I want to say I paid less than $150)

But....consider the $$ savings over time

3-10 years of service life vs. 1-5

http://www.odysseyfactory.com/batteries.html

EDIT---acutally they arent that much more than when I bought it....

$165 at Amazon
© 2024 Moparts Forums