Moparts

1966 b-body bucket seat lower metal trim Q

Posted By: Jeremiah

1966 b-body bucket seat lower metal trim Q - 02/14/13 09:22 PM

I just noticed the other day that both of our '66 Chargers have the metal surround on both sides of the seats. Our '66 Coronet 500 convertible does not have it on the inside (console side) on either seat. Are all '66 b-body buckets supposed to have trim on both sides of the bottom of the seat?
Posted By: floridian

Re: 1966 b-body bucket seat lower metal trim Q - 02/14/13 11:06 PM

I think my 67 R/T vert is only on the outside..

Wish I could look at it, but it is back home in Oregon and I now live in Lakeland, Florida...(Work)

Re: 1966 b-body bucket seat lower metal trim Q - 02/15/13 12:06 AM

Thank you. If you need me too I can drive it down to you. Lots of vacation time to burn this year!
Posted By: rtriv

Re: 1966 b-body bucket seat lower metal trim Q - 02/15/13 07:36 AM

Both my 66 and 67 Satellite seats only have them on the outside. The 66 seats are from a pretty original console car I parted so I'd tend to think they were like that since day one. 67 ones are from a buddy seat car.
Posted By: mccannix

Re: 1966 b-body bucket seat lower metal trim Q - 02/15/13 03:40 PM

I believe they have them on the outside only if it is a console car, but non console had them on both as it is a seen detail item....cant say for sure but just something I have observed

Re: 1966 b-body bucket seat lower metal trim Q - 02/15/13 06:05 PM

Thanks guys that makes sense. I'll look at a few other c66-67 Chargers I know of and see if they have them. Have a great weekend!

Re: 1966 b-body bucket seat lower metal trim Q - 02/15/13 07:04 PM

Quote:

I believe they have them on the outside only if it is a console car, but non console had them on both as it is a seen detail item....cant say for sure but just something I have observed

This works for my console car
Posted By: NANKET

Re: 1966 b-body bucket seat lower metal trim Q - 02/17/13 08:30 AM

In my observations on these 66-67 cars, I see that 66 Chargers have them, and all 66 Chargers have consoles. The inner trim piece has no hole for the seat adjuster to pass through, so they are not outer trims put on the inner side of the seat.

Re: 1966 b-body bucket seat lower metal trim Q - 02/17/13 09:10 PM

Good info, thank you. I need to go and look at one of our Charger now.

You guys rule, I really appreciate the clarification on this.
Posted By: ChargerKnight66

Re: 1966 b-body bucket seat lower metal trim Q - 02/18/13 11:24 PM

Quote:

Good info, thank you. I need to go and look at one of our Charger now.

You guys rule, I really appreciate the clarification on this.

I think it is related to a running production change. I believe that at some point they eliminated the inner trim to save money. I have had a number of 1966 and 1967 Chargers. My current Charger is a very late production car (mid-July) and it does not have the inner trim; neither did my 1967 cars. It could also be a change for 1967 and by late 1966 they just made a running change.
Posted By: 19cuda73

Re: 1966 b-body bucket seat lower metal trim Q - 02/19/13 05:04 AM

Here is a picture reference for the an early 66. The inside trim pieces had some dented areas around the seat hinges I'm not sure where they came from maybe seatbelts??

Mine actually do have the holes for the adjusters to fit through on the inside ones too.

Attached picture 7594351-seats.JPG

Re: 1966 b-body bucket seat lower metal trim Q - 02/19/13 06:21 AM

Looking good in red man! I was at the shop but forgot to look...again.

Here is the fender tag for our '66 Coronet 500 (car in question). Does this tell us the production date? I am more of a CI, CFM, compression ration type of guy and still learning the resto stuff (albeit slowly).

Attached picture 7594421-1966Coronet500ConvertibleFenderTag(Large).JPG
Posted By: L7VERT

Re: 1966 b-body bucket seat lower metal trim Q - 02/19/13 05:23 PM

Scheduled build date 613, June 13th, 1966.

Based on the parts book for these cars, the inner seat shield was discontinued for '67. In the book, there is only a reference to left side and right shields, not driver side left/right and passenger side left/right. As the seats are otherwise identical, I'm sure there are a lot of cars running around with mixed production year seats.

I suppose it's possible that early cars had both sides as the plants could have built out their stock rather than shipping them to the parts hubs.

I've owned several of both years and, personally, I think they look much better with both shields.

Re: 1966 b-body bucket seat lower metal trim Q - 02/19/13 06:55 PM

Thank you for the info. zI guess this would be a late production Coronet? I think it was an ordered car from the little bits of history I have gathered about it.

I would imagine that one reason the inner shields were deleted was interference with the operation of the seat belt. Very annoying!
Posted By: L7VERT

Re: 1966 b-body bucket seat lower metal trim Q - 02/19/13 09:31 PM

Yep, code U 1 in the upper right hand corner indicates yours was a sold (ordered) car. Likewise, yes, a June build is toward the end of the run.

Re: 1966 b-body bucket seat lower metal trim Q - 02/19/13 10:57 PM

That actually works for the story we got on the car. It was a graduation present for a mill owner's daughter. Thank you!

Re: 1966 b-body bucket seat lower metal trim Q - 02/19/13 11:00 PM

Quote:

That actually works for the story we got on the car. It was a graduation present for a mill owner's daughter. Thank you!

The Wendt's spending money?????

Re: 1966 b-body bucket seat lower metal trim Q - 02/19/13 11:11 PM

No but that is some proof that you are a true Oregonian.

The car was in some kind of bad deal that had to do with a body shop going out of business in La Pine. From what I have gathered someone in the original family (name unknown) was trying to have the car restored after it sat in the back lot of the mill for years and years. After the body shop folded the car went into storage and was purchased by a fellow in Idaho in 1995-6. He sold it to a flipper that is well know for poor descriptions, sloppy work, and not so good ebay sales ethics. We tried to buy it from him (nice enough guy) but he sold it before we could get there. My g/f really wanted this specific car and was willing to pay a little extra because this was "it". The car left Idaho for LA and the guy we bought it from (Randy the flipper) tried to pull a bunch of BS (prefect trim, everything works, etc.) until he realized that I knew the car. That helped get the price in line I think. When we got the car home to Klamath we realized that it had been sold new in Redmond. I keep turning up bits and pieces about the car however no full story from someone directly involved...yet. Hell, how many white '66 Coronet 500 convertibles could have been running around Deschutes and Klamath county for 20 years. One of these days I will run into someone with first hand knowledge of the car. I guess you could say we brought it back home (almost).

Attached picture 7595171-100_6221(Large).JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums