Moparts

70 challenger center console

Posted By: BURNTOJO

70 challenger center console - 01/27/13 07:08 PM

Im in the process of doing my interior. Im trying to figure out the specifics on a 1970 center console for a 4 speed. I have a few im trying to make a good one out of. This is what I THINK I know-

* seat belt hole in back was 70 only (71 and up had ash tray)
* center woodgrain piece had 4 mounting holes(71 and up had 5)
* Hole in center woodgrain panel was bigger an had the left side corners slightly rounded for a 4 speed.
* Botton half of console was cut out higher where 4 speed boot is.

So-am i right so far? I have one bottom console piece with plastic loops attached to side i believe to run seat belts through. Is this a 70 only or is it another year? And i believe i need two brackets to mount it to center 4 speed hump? If anybody has any info i would really appreciate it! Thanks!
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: 70 challenger center console - 01/28/13 01:58 AM

521 Restorations.com has a template to convert an auto E body console to 4spd if you need it?

Mike

Attached picture 7563943-aaaaaabbb.JPG
Posted By: cuda-sweden

Re: 70 challenger center console - 01/28/13 09:04 PM

Quote:

Im in the process of doing my interior. Im trying to figure out the specifics on a 1970 center console for a 4 speed. I have a few im trying to make a good one out of. This is what I THINK I know-

* Hole in center woodgrain panel was bigger an had the left side corners slightly rounded for a 4 speed.

So-am i right so far? I have one bottom console piece with plastic loops attached to side i believe to run seat belts through. Is this a 70 only or is it another year? And i believe i need two brackets to mount it to center 4 speed hump? If anybody has any info i would really appreciate it! Thanks!

123 i say yes.4 dont know.on the straps i say -not -70, later year..

Re: 70 challenger center console - 01/29/13 02:53 AM

Thanks for the info guys!!!!!
Posted By: m46rat

Re: 70 challenger center console - 01/29/13 02:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

123 i say yes.4 dont know.on the straps i say -not -70, later year..

2, NO, it was in 1972 that the fifth hole was added in the console and also the top plate. Also, in 1972 and up production, there is a hole cast into the rear third or the console on the side for a seat belt loop that was push mounted into each side of the console.

Re: 70 challenger center console - 01/29/13 02:07 PM

Also to note: 70 consoles were available into the 1971 production year until they were used up, like a lot of other parts. I have a brown 70 console, brown was only offered in the 1971 production year.

Re: 70 challenger center console - 01/30/13 01:48 AM

Quote:

Also to note: 70 consoles were available into the 1971 production year until they were used up, like a lot of other parts. I have a brown 70 console, brown was only offered in the 1971 production year.

Thanks for the info!!!!!!!
Posted By: gomangoRTSE

Re: 70 challenger center console - 02/01/13 10:52 PM

Let me ask this, will the top part of the plastic console 70 model screw into the bottom of another year or visa versa? I ask cause out in my garage I have some consoles of various years. I think I have a few broken pieces and need to work something out. Automatic transmission style consoles all of them.

Re: 70 challenger center console - 02/02/13 04:11 AM

On a 70 console there is a screw in the back opening(usually reserved for two seat belt buckles) that holds the top of the rear of the console to the same lower portion. That screw cannot be used if you are trying to mate a 70 to a 71 console, so,..... NO.

Re: 70 challenger center console - 02/03/13 04:26 AM

Quote:

Let me ask this, will the top part of the plastic console 70 model screw into the bottom of another year or visa versa? I ask cause out in my garage I have some consoles of various years. I think I have a few broken pieces and need to work something out. Automatic transmission style consoles all of them.

From what i have found out is that you can not swap a 70 top with a different year bottom. The tabs on the 71 and up bottom are locatedin the same spots-but they are at a different height. The 70 top will not sit down flush with the bottom.
Posted By: mccannix

Re: 70 challenger center console - 02/03/13 06:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

From what i have found out is that you can not swap a 70 top with a different year bottom. The tabs on the 71 and up bottom are locatedin the same spots-but they are at a different height. The 70 top will not sit down flush with the bottom.

Pictured differences in tab mounting locations that show you cannot mount a 70 top to later bottoms

Attached picture 7572768-consoledif3.JPG
Posted By: mccannix

Re: 70 challenger center console - 02/03/13 06:30 AM

difference in the end...extra mounting boss along with different ribbing

Attached picture 7572771-consoledif4.JPG

Re: 70 challenger center console - 02/04/13 04:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Pictured differences in tab mounting locations that show you cannot mount a 70 top to later bottoms

EXACTLY!!!! GOOD PICS!
© 2024 Moparts Forums