Moparts

Alternator Restoration Question

Posted By: 68 Sat

Alternator Restoration Question - 12/28/12 03:23 AM

Just dis-assembled Alt., glass beaded case and want to clean copper center outer ring as well as re-paint center piece.

How do I clean the center piece (copper)?
What color do I paint the center piece? Thanks

Attached picture 7521225-Alt3.jpg

Re: Alternator Restoration Question - 12/28/12 03:23 AM

2nd pic

Attached picture 7521228-Alt1.jpg
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Alternator Restoration Question - 12/28/12 03:47 AM

Niether the stator or the reluctor were painted. Do yourself a favor. pack it up and send it off to Dixie Restorations. You can thank me later
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Alternator Restoration Question - 12/28/12 05:10 AM

Can they fix the surface of one that has been glass blasted?
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Alternator Restoration Question - 12/28/12 05:12 AM

I'm not sure how they'd deal with that, best to ask them.
Posted By: Cooda

Re: Alternator Restoration Question - 12/28/12 02:23 PM

Quote:

Niether the stator or the reluctor were painted. Do yourself a favor. pack it up and send it off to Dixie Restorations. You can thank me later

I'll second what Scott said, pack it up and send to Jim Ridge (Dixie Restorations).
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Alternator Restoration Question - 12/28/12 07:53 PM

The color you see on the stator (outside) and rotor (inside) is the insulation of the the wires used for both. If you try to be aggressive when cleaning, you could cause a spot for a short circuit to happen.

Best is to have someone that rebuilds electrical look at these. They will have proper tools to check everything and if needed, rewind and repair as required.

If you do try to clean them, then used something very very non-aggressive so it won't eat the insulation off the wire. If Dixie are doing the job, then send it out to them . . .

Hope that helps . . .

Cheers

Mark
Posted By: VCODE

Re: Alternator Restoration Question - 12/29/12 05:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'll second what Scott said, pack it up and send to Jim Ridge (Dixie Restorations).

I'll third that
Bob
Posted By: roelb

Re: Alternator Restoration Question - 12/29/12 05:52 PM

I sent mine all the way across the pond, Jim did an excellent job. He is a great guy to work with
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Alternator Restoration Question - 12/30/12 12:47 AM

You can do it yourself with a little effort .

Attached picture 7523879-Picture629.jpg

Re: Alternator Restoration Question - 12/30/12 04:35 AM

I am sure Jim is great but I was hoping to tackle
This On my own. Thanks guys
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Alternator Restoration Question - 12/30/12 05:56 PM

I would then suggest something like dish washing liquid detergent and a soft toothbrush . . . should not harm the insulation on the wires and be able to clean it up pretty good. Just make sure you dry it off well and check the electrical connections prior to reassembly.

Mark
Posted By: 71redcuda

Re: Alternator Restoration Question - 12/30/12 06:37 PM

Quote:

Alternator restored by Dixie restortions:
They do a great job on these..

Attached picture 7524829-CIMG0019.JPG
Posted By: 71redcuda

Re: Alternator Restoration Question - 12/30/12 06:38 PM

nr 2

Attached picture 7524833-CIMG0011.JPG
Posted By: Hemiruss

Re: Alternator Restoration Question - 12/31/12 05:30 AM

" Niether the stator or the reluctor were painted. Do yourself a favor. pack it up and send it off to Dixie Restorations. You can thank me later............"

does dixie have all the parts to redo on alt.that has 2 different date coded housings.?????? My car is about 90% susvivor so I'll need to restored and correct dates in both half's please post or PM me with his contact inro........And again THANK YOU I ALSO HOPE YOU HAD A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A GREATER NEW YEAR..........

Attached picture 7525870-100_2890.JPG
Posted By: Cooda

Re: Alternator Restoration Question - 01/02/13 01:50 PM

Quote:

does dixie have all the parts to redo on alt.that has 2 different date coded housings.?????? My car is about 90% susvivor so I'll need to restored and correct dates in both half's please post or PM me with his contact inro........And again THANK YOU I ALSO HOPE YOU HAD A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A GREATER NEW YEAR..........

Call Jim at Dixie and ask. He did at one time have some cores...not sure what he has now.
Posted By: 70RT

Re: Alternator Restoration Question - 01/02/13 07:48 PM

68 Sat - The rotor and stator (reluctor) were originally coated with a tinted electrical varnish that is no longer commercialy produced - at least we can't find it. I had the help of a knowlegeable friend in Detroit not only break down and then recreate the proper tinted varnish but he also constructed a fixture so these parts could be coated in a factory style manner. The center section, or heat sink, that holds the positive diodes (rectifiers) we finish the same way as the front and rear shells. Then most, not all, but most, shells were put through a chromate wash I assume to create longer shelf life for the aluminum parts.
Hemiruss - We do have quite a few odd front and rear alt. pieces in the shop if you need something to replace a mis-matched alternator core piece.
Thanks for the kind words guys we really appreciate it! Scott the carbs coming off this w/e so I'll have it to you shortly.

Jim Ridge - Dixie Restorations (803) 924-6247
Posted By: Hemiruss

Re: Alternator Restoration Question - 01/03/13 12:48 AM

I'll give you a call when I can...the front halve is a 70 and the rear is a 76.....Thanks again

Re: Alternator Restoration Question - 01/07/13 12:34 AM

here it is after a few hours this weekend. I still have to press the pulley on but not bad for my non concourse 69 Coronet 500...Used RPM and alot of time...

Attached picture 7535869-front.jpg

Re: Alternator Restoration Question - 01/07/13 12:34 AM

2nd

Attached picture 7535871-back.jpg

Re: Alternator Restoration Question - 01/07/13 12:35 AM

side

Attached picture 7535872-side.jpg
Posted By: 469runner

Re: Alternator Restoration Question - 01/07/13 01:59 AM

Great looking work there 68 sat, but doesn't the pulley need to be pressed on before the case is reassembled so as to support the rear of the rotor?
Posted By: mrrandyj

Re: Alternator Restoration Question - 01/07/13 02:10 PM

Quote:

Great looking work there 68 sat, but doesn't the pulley need to be pressed on before the case is reassembled so as to support the rear of the rotor?

Yes it does. You will need to split the case apart again before you press the pulley on. Otherwise you will damage things. By the way, nice job restoring that, it looks great! And congratulations on doing it yourself, much more personal satisfaction when you complete a job like that on your own.
Posted By: mrrandyj

Re: Alternator Restoration Question - 01/07/13 02:18 PM

Quote:

Yes it does. You will need to split the case apart again before you press the pulley on. Otherwise you will damage things.
© 2024 Moparts Forums