Moparts

Rare 1971 Charger H/Lamp Washer Harness Photos Needed

Posted By: EL5 71

Rare 1971 Charger H/Lamp Washer Harness Photos Needed - 11/28/12 02:08 PM

Hi guys, I know this might be a long shot but I'm in need of some good photos and some measurements of the 1971 Charger Headlight Washer Harness from under the dash. It's the harness that runs from the dash mounted Wash Headlamps switch and plugs into the main harness. A good photo of the part number and vendor code tag would really be a bonus also. I need one for my setup and I'm considering making one if I can't purchase an original from someone. I have the factory diagram but it doeas not provide correct length and there is no part number that I can find for this harness in the parts book. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: Rare 1971 Charger H/Lamp Washer Harness Photos Needed - 11/28/12 06:04 PM

This is what I have.. I have some more somewhere and have a complete setup at home... I too had to create that one harness. The factory underdash harness already had the plug and then you have the switch mounted to the dash frame. I just made one and routed it in the most obvious manner that would be out of the way.

This is from my former survivor..

Attached picture 7480119-TH_RT_10_l.jpg

Re: Rare 1971 Charger H/Lamp Washer Harness Photos Needed - 11/28/12 10:11 PM

Thanks Troy, I'm actually shocked that this got a response so quick because pieces for this system are so elusive. I guess I'm hoping that someone that has a 71 Charger S.E. parts car, that had the washers originally, would pull this harness to grab some pics of it and the tag. I know it's not too likely, but sure would help provide some more valuable knowledge about this setup.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Rare 1971 Charger H/Lamp Washer Harness Photos Needed - 11/29/12 05:36 AM

I know in the past on Moparts someone posted the differences between a C-body headlight waster system and a B-body system with pictures.

IIRC, it had some great detail and info. Try the Moparts and Moparts Google powered search features.

Anyone remember that thread? And how long ago it was? Hopefully it wasn't in the WIW section and lost forever.

Re: Rare 1971 Charger H/Lamp Washer Harness Photos Needed - 11/29/12 02:37 PM

Quote:

I know in the past on Moparts someone posted the differences between a C-body headlight waster system and a B-body system with pictures.

IIRC, it had some great detail and info. Try the Moparts and Moparts Google powered search features.

Anyone remember that thread? And how long ago it was? Hopefully it wasn't in the WIW section and lost forever.

I think I either created that thread or replied to it. I tried in vain for YEARS to find an original harness for the thing ( that one same connector from the switch to the main underdash harness ) and I never did find it, hence me creating one..

Re: Rare 1971 Charger H/Lamp Washer Harness Photos Needed - 11/30/12 02:42 AM

Well, here's what I created using the 1971 Factory Service Manual diagram to guide me. I had to carefully pick through about 12 underdash wiring harnesses from various Mopar cars I stripped to get the correct Brown wire with the White tracer with a Female Bullitt end on it. What a pain! I have a small photo of an untouched 71 Charger's washer switch still in the car and that had the unique Red 4 terminal plug (but only uses 2 of the terminals). I duplicated this as well because I believe it to be factory original. Now if I could just see the entire harness from a car to get the correct length and part number on the tag, that would be awesome! I believe I have the harness length pretty darn close on the one I made though. Here's a few pics.

Attached picture 7481958-Pilot71HemiRT220.jpg

Re: Rare 1971 Charger H/Lamp Washer Harness Photos Needed - 11/30/12 02:43 AM

Attached picture 7481962-IMG_2607.JPG

Re: Rare 1971 Charger H/Lamp Washer Harness Photos Needed - 11/30/12 02:44 AM

Attached picture 7481964-IMG_2608.JPG

Re: Rare 1971 Charger H/Lamp Washer Harness Photos Needed - 11/30/12 02:45 AM

Attached picture 7481967-IMG_2609.JPG

Re: Rare 1971 Charger H/Lamp Washer Harness Photos Needed - 11/30/12 02:46 AM

Attached picture 7481968-IMG_2610.JPG

Re: Rare 1971 Charger H/Lamp Washer Harness Photos Needed - 11/30/12 02:47 AM

Attached picture 7481970-IMG_2611.JPG

Re: Rare 1971 Charger H/Lamp Washer Harness Photos Needed - 11/30/12 02:54 AM

Also, if I can make them smaller, I have photos I took showing some of the differences in this system between the 71 Charger and the C-Body cars. I even found the difference (other than the stamped part numbers)in the wiper arm pivot assemblies. It's so tiny, it's easy to miss it.

Re: Rare 1971 Charger H/Lamp Washer Harness Photos Needed - 12/18/12 11:41 PM

Hi Guys, I'm still in need of any photos, measurements and part numbers on an original harness if anyone has one out there. Thanks again in advance.
Posted By: billrabe

Re: Rare 1971 Charger H/Lamp Washer Harness Photos Needed - 07/15/13 06:30 PM

Did you ever get a response? I am also putting together this elusive option. I am having a harness made from your photos. Do you have a photo of the reservoir and mounting? I have the reservoir from a 71 Fury I plan on making work. Also, what is the number on the flasher, I am unable to source one.

Re: Rare 1971 Charger H/Lamp Washer Harness Photos Needed - 07/15/13 08:11 PM

I have a box full of headlamp washer stuff.. Let me pull it out. You are correct, the differences between the B and C body wiper arms are very small.........

Cheers,
Troy

Re: Rare 1971 Charger H/Lamp Washer Harness Photos Needed - 07/15/13 08:47 PM

Here's the Charger specific bottle with riveted mounting bracket. The C Body (Imperial) bottle is identicle except for it does not have the bracket attatched to it.

Attached picture 7777577-IMG_1156.JPG

Re: Rare 1971 Charger H/Lamp Washer Harness Photos Needed - 07/15/13 08:56 PM

another

Attached picture 7777583-IMG_1157.JPG

Re: Rare 1971 Charger H/Lamp Washer Harness Photos Needed - 07/15/13 08:59 PM

another one

Attached picture 7777586-IMG_1158.JPG

Re: Rare 1971 Charger H/Lamp Washer Harness Photos Needed - 07/15/13 08:59 PM

Quote:

Here's the Charger specific bottle with riveted mounting bracket. The C Body (Imperial) bottle is identicle except for it does not have the bracket attatched to it.

You sure? I had the system in my former '71 Charger R/T and the bottle lined up perfectly with the OEM pre-punched holes on the headlamp bezel it mounted to......... I believe the C-body has the bracket.....

Re: Rare 1971 Charger H/Lamp Washer Harness Photos Needed - 07/15/13 09:09 PM

Positive buddy. Here's a pic of it installed on a 71 Charger R/T. I also have photos of a 1971 Road Test Charger with the option and you can see the bracket in the photos.

Attached picture 7777592-71rt10.jpg

Re: Rare 1971 Charger H/Lamp Washer Harness Photos Needed - 07/15/13 09:11 PM

Here's a pic of it installed on your old car Troy. I know the fella Pete who owns her in New York now. There's a little tiny hole on the rad. support on Chargers for the upper attatching screw on the bottle bracket. It's pretty tough to even notice it there because that area is usually blacked out.

Attached picture 7777598-Picture1.jpg

Re: Rare 1971 Charger H/Lamp Washer Harness Photos Needed - 07/15/13 09:14 PM

Here's the Flasher. Same for Charger and Fury.

Attached picture 7777601-$(KGrHqV,!ksE9WJwO5brBPn!,Bfip!~~60_57.jpg

Re: Rare 1971 Charger H/Lamp Washer Harness Photos Needed - 07/15/13 09:27 PM

Another R/T with the bottle bracket.

Attached picture 7777613-$(KGrHqMOKiUE4sZHJPfpBOU8RNpvvw~~48_3.jpg

Re: Rare 1971 Charger H/Lamp Washer Harness Photos Needed - 07/16/13 03:35 AM

Quote:

Here's a pic of it installed on your old car Troy. I know the fella Pete who owns her in New York now. There's a little tiny hole on the rad. support on Chargers for the upper attatching screw on the bottle bracket. It's pretty tough to even notice it there because that area is usually blacked out.

Well, shiver me timbers !!!! I do learn something new every day and I need to go back to my stash, I think the bottle I have has the bracket !!!!

and Boy, you about tore my heart out with that picture !!!! I miss that car!!!
I take it he still has it then....... I hope so...... I need to get in contact with him for ole-time sake......
Posted By: billrabe

Re: Rare 1971 Charger H/Lamp Washer Harness Photos Needed - 07/16/13 02:42 PM

Quote:

Here's the Flasher. Same for Charger and Fury.

What is the flash rate for this flasher? It does not appear to be commonly available. It appears to be a two prong flasher and I would expect it is 12 volts and flashes only 1-2 times per second. From what I could tell from searching online, they were made by Tungsol in Newark, NJ or Ideal corporation of Brooklyn, NY. Also, the reservoir for the Fury appears to be different than the one for the Charger.

Re: Rare 1971 Charger H/Lamp Washer Harness Photos Needed - 07/16/13 09:49 PM

If I remember right, the flasher interupts the system so that the brushes cycle approximately 50 times per minute. Yes, the Fury bottle is quite different. It mounts over on the passenger's side on a Fury and it's a transluscent white color and completely different shape. The black plastic bottle that will work for the Charger and Imperial occasionally pop up for sale on E-Bay. I usually try looking in salvage yards for 71 Imperials and 71 Furys to get parts for the system. Sometimes you strike gold.

Re: Rare 1971 Charger H/Lamp Washer Harness Photos Needed - 06/07/14 05:14 PM

Finally got one!!!! I have found a rare original 1971 Charger Headlamp Washer under dash harness with it's original part number tag. Here's a pic of the tag. It was falling almost completely off so I'll probably reproduce it. The harness I made in the photos above using only the factory wiring diagram was nearly perfect except it was a few inches short. Part number is not in my 1970-71 Parts Book but other headlamp washer parts are. I find this a little strange because it is a separate harness all by itself and not incorporated into the main under harness assembly. Photos of the original harness coming shortly. It is basically the same as the one above, just about a foot longer.

Attached picture 8168594-IMG_1349.JPG

Re: Rare 1971 Charger H/Lamp Washer Harness Photos Needed - 06/07/14 11:11 PM

Quote:

Finally got one!!!! I have found a rare original 1971 Charger Headlamp Washer under dash harness with it's original part number tag. Here's a pic of the tag. It was falling almost completely off so I'll probably reproduce it. The harness I made in the photos above using only the factory wiring diagram was nearly perfect except it was a few inches short. Part number is not in my 1970-71 Parts Book but other headlamp washer parts are. I find this a little strange because it is a separate harness all by itself and not incorporated into the main under harness assembly. Photos of the original harness coming shortly. It is basically the same as the one above, just about a foot longer.

Excellent news Ed!! ...

Does the owner you know of Whitey still own her?
© 2024 Moparts Forums