Moparts

Leaf Spring rebuild kit?

Posted By: JMCFAN

Leaf Spring rebuild kit? - 10/11/12 05:42 PM

Straps, interliners etc? Who has them.??...other then YO ( $70....)
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Leaf Spring rebuild kit? - 10/11/12 05:50 PM

Im interested also. I have a pair that I need to redo since my Mopar Perf ones sagged on me big time!
Posted By: Mr D21

Re: Leaf Spring rebuild kit? - 10/11/12 05:54 PM

The rebuild kits will not fix sagging springs...
Posted By: VPofGreen

Re: Leaf Spring rebuild kit? - 10/11/12 06:11 PM

Frank Badalson sells them.... from his catalog:

Rear leaf spring rebuild kits. ORIGINAL zinc interliners, band clamps with rubber inserts and plastic interliners.One kit does both springs for A, B or E-bodies. Please note our kit comes with the center leaf spring stack bolt. All parts available separately.
Complete Rebuild Kit………specify body style…………………………. $ 165.00

Re: Leaf Spring rebuild kit? - 10/11/12 06:20 PM

Wow.... from YO catalog

Kit includes correct metal straps with rubber insulators, plastic interliners and zinc interliners. Kit rebuilds both left and right rear springs.
$69
Posted By: CDN72SE

Re: Leaf Spring rebuild kit? - 10/11/12 06:27 PM

Got mine from BRE.

Re: Leaf Spring rebuild kit? - 10/11/12 08:27 PM

Quote:

The rebuild kits will not fix sagging springs...

I know. I was able to obtain a pair of originals and would like to get the kit to restore them over the winter.

Re: Leaf Spring rebuild kit? - 10/11/12 08:33 PM

YO and BRE prices are close....lets see what shipping is...in my expeirence...a 20% deal at YO MIGHT cover the shipping....

Re: Leaf Spring rebuild kit? - 10/13/12 12:36 AM

Well I got one apart and ready for cleanup etc... the center bolt on the other will not budge....it I end up having to cut it off... availabel?
Posted By: gomangoRTSE

Re: Leaf Spring rebuild kit? - 10/13/12 04:27 AM

I am wondering about rebuilding the ones I have on the car. I am wondering about the finish. I read an informative discussion here on people recommending what finish. I heard several opinions. What about powdercoating the leaf springs? Do the leaf springs flex too much for powdercoating to stick? Cannot anyone link that topic where people showed what they use to coat the real leaf springs with??
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Leaf Spring rebuild kit? - 10/13/12 05:03 AM

If natural steel you can soak them in Evaporust (use a length of PVC pipe as small as they will fit into, cap both ends, fill with Evaporust, soak a couple days to remove all the rust). Once the rust is gone remove them and rinse them with laquer thinner (not water). After dry add back any inspection paint daubs you find then coat each one with RPM (ECS sells it) and reassemble them...You'll be good to go!

Most spring sets that were painted black were painted as a completed assembly so it's easy, just derust/clean them then bomb them with a dull gloss epoxy paint. Adding it until it's almost dripping off will give you a factory look, most look as though they were actually dipped in paint at the factory.
Posted By: 340cpe

Re: Leaf Spring rebuild kit? - 10/14/12 04:37 PM

Scott how would one know if the springs should be natural or painted? i.e. what years and body styles had natural and what ones were painted.

Re: Leaf Spring rebuild kit? - 10/14/12 04:39 PM

I wouldn't say that either way is written in stone, there seems to be some variable on whether they were painted or not depending on the year, body style, and even the plant they came from. The best way to know for sure is to carefully study your originals for signs of paint.
Posted By: 340cpe

Re: Leaf Spring rebuild kit? - 10/14/12 04:56 PM

Thats the problem everything seemed to spray bombed at one time. I guess probably the next best thing I can do is when I remove them is to see what they look like under the rear end housing spring perches. Thanks Scott

Re: Leaf Spring rebuild kit? - 10/14/12 05:11 PM

Yes, that's all true. I'm doing my Los Angeles built 71 Dusters springs now, problem is that all of the survivors I've seen were Hamtramck cars (which were all painted black). My cars originals were missing so no good for reference, other original LA cars I've seen appeared to have natural springs but so far none of them were 71 Dusters so I can't be 100% sure yet. So, I'm going to do them up natural and if I learn that they should be painted it's an easy fix to pull them for a paint job, not so if done in the reverse.

Re: Leaf Spring rebuild kit? - 10/14/12 10:11 PM

Was everything from Hamtramck painted or did it just pertain to certain body styles? Looking to get the correct finish on my 69 Charger leaf springs that is a Hamtramck car also.

Re: Leaf Spring rebuild kit? - 10/14/12 10:14 PM

I can't say, I've seen what appeared to be originals both ways
Posted By: Dixie

Re: Leaf Spring rebuild kit? - 10/16/12 04:55 PM

Quote:

Was everything from Hamtramck painted or did it just pertain to certain body styles? Looking to get the correct finish on my 69 Charger leaf springs that is a Hamtramck car also.

I have 2 Hamtramck built '69's and both appear to have been natural. Both built late '68. Of course yours may vary.

Re: Leaf Spring rebuild kit? - 10/17/12 02:38 AM

ok, the ones that were on my car originally appeared to have been natural steel originally and not painted. Just wanted to be sure as 40 years a lot of things can be changed.

Re: Leaf Spring rebuild kit? - 10/20/12 12:32 AM

Update. got mine all apart...had to cut off one center bolt...

Had all the pieces sandbalsted.. picked up today and suprise..my can of RPM was in the mailbox. Awesome stuff!! all treated and waiting on my rebuild kit and new bolts... they look good!!
Posted By: Mr D21

Re: Leaf Spring rebuild kit? - 10/20/12 01:46 AM

dont tease us - lets see a pics....
Posted By: DynoDave

Re: Leaf Spring rebuild kit? - 10/20/12 01:48 AM

Quote:

dont tease us - lets see a pics....

Posted By: gomangoRTSE

Re: Leaf Spring rebuild kit? - 10/20/12 02:37 AM

I would like to see some finished leaf spring rebuilds. I want to see whether I like the dark natural, or black painted springs.

Re: Leaf Spring rebuild kit? - 10/20/12 03:15 PM

OK....sorry..:)

Before

Attached picture 7428522-before.jpg

Re: Leaf Spring rebuild kit? - 10/20/12 03:15 PM

After...still waiting on rebuild kit

Attached picture 7428524-after.jpg

Re: Leaf Spring rebuild kit? - 10/21/12 03:13 AM

Those came out nice. Thanks for posting the pictures.

This is with the Evaporust & RPM treatment mentioned above?

Re: Leaf Spring rebuild kit? - 10/21/12 02:30 PM

No...I had them sandblasted and then appied RPM
Posted By: KWF340

Re: Leaf Spring rebuild kit? - 10/21/12 04:15 PM

Wire wheeled mine to get some of the crud off, then evaporust and finished with RPM. Here is a pic of a finished spring next to an unfinished spring.

Attached picture 7429660-Chargerresto303.jpg
Posted By: KWF340

Re: Leaf Spring rebuild kit? - 10/21/12 04:20 PM

Another.

Attached picture 7429667-Chargerresto304.jpg

Re: Leaf Spring rebuild kit? - 10/22/12 02:22 AM

Sweet! Thanks guys.
© 2024 Moparts Forums