Moparts

ECS "shipped flat" carpet review??

Posted By: HPMike

ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 09/03/12 09:12 PM

Does anyone have any experience with the ECS carpets? Frankly, its a great concept but I also have installed numerous folded carpets with pretty good results. Im not opposed to buying it, just seeing if its worth the extra $$. If it makes for a nicer finished product and easier install, then that is certainly a plus.

Im ready to install a carpet in a 69 B Body with a console 4 speed.

Lets hear it!!

MB
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 09/03/12 09:42 PM

Simple. There is nothing better out there. I bought a set for my Duster (manual trans) and it fits the floor pan contours perfectly, no wrinkles, warps, or wierdness. The sides and ends are cut a bit oversize so you can trim to fit exact to your sills and under dash.
Posted By: Cuda Cody

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 09/04/12 01:42 AM

Not sure worth the extra cost, but mine fit really good. They offer the best products I've seen.
Posted By: MLR426

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 09/04/12 02:09 PM

As far as I know ECS does'nt offer the carpet any longer, to late. My e-body carpet great.

MLR426
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 09/04/12 02:14 PM

I believe I bought Dave's last or second-to-last black b-body carpet set. I put it in my Daytona and it pretty much fit like a glove, well worth the additional expense. Hopefully he'll decided to do it again barring the economics of it all....
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 09/04/12 03:21 PM

how long ago did you guys buy your flat ship carpet sets?

I was under the impression they stopped while a shop move was in progress but resumed offering the option.

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 09/04/12 03:27 PM

Exactly one year ago this month
Posted By: JulesdaWiperman

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 09/04/12 04:53 PM

Installed a set in a 71 cuda and it fit perfectly. No hassles at all.
Great product.
Jules
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 09/04/12 08:11 PM

Quote:

Exactly one year ago this month

About the same for me...
Posted By: 70moparmike

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 09/04/12 08:13 PM

i got one of the first ones, i know it sat in the box overone and a half years, came out and fit great. going to order anouther for my gtx. thanks to dave and ecs
Posted By: Cuda Cody

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 09/04/12 10:18 PM

About one year ago for mine. It sat in the box for at least 6 months before I used it. It was perfect.

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 09/05/12 02:22 AM

Quote:

i got one of the first ones, i know it sat in the box overone and a half years, came out and fit great. going to order anouther for my gtx. thanks to dave and ecs

ECS has stopped doing the flat shipped carpet, the opportunity has past.

MLR426
Posted By: 05dakota

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 09/05/12 03:30 AM

apparently they werent profitable items to sell
Posted By: 1ol74charger4me

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 09/05/12 03:58 AM

I talked to Dave at Monster Mopar in St. Louis (heck of a nice guy) and he said he was still taking orders for the carpet and as soon as he gets orders for enought to fill a container he will ship it to have them made. No promise of delivery date.But where else can you get a 1 piece carpet? It seemed to be a pet project he was proud of, so unless he loses money, I think he is still doing it. He said I could come to the new shop to pick it up as I go to St. Louis on regular basis. He is the kind of guy we need to support as he is really dedicated to the stuff he makes and the accuracy of it.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 09/05/12 04:08 AM

Quote:

apparently they werent profitable items to sell

Sometimes "profit" isn't the reason for dropping an item from one's inventory, some items may be profitable, but slow movers, or even if profitable, may be more aggravation to prepare for the customer than the profit warrants to keep offering it...or perhaps the supplying vendor has decided to impose higher costs, or a larger required volume purchase,etc,etc,...and the retailer can no longer justify offering the product to you the customer without passing on higher costs, or longer waiting periods until a minimum order is satisfied...

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 09/05/12 04:26 AM

Well...It seems like the junk repro parts are always available, but the "good stuff" seems to vanish or become hard to get.

Unfortunate news on the carpet I suppose, I guess i'll have to make due with the old standby. In most cases, i've had decent results with the folded carpet and the fact that this is a console car should make some of the ugliness that you usually see around the 4 speed hump seem less noticeable.

Thanls everyone for the replies and critiques...much appreciated

MB

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 09/05/12 05:18 AM

If we as a group continue to accept mediocre products and fail to support supperior products, eventually inferior products will become your only choice.
Posted By: JulesdaWiperman

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 09/05/12 12:37 PM

Well good news everyone and staight from the horses mouth.
The carpets are still available . A large order has been placed and should arrive soon.
If you call and place your order it should come true.
Jules

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 09/05/12 12:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

MLR426

where did you come up with your information?
do you sell carpet sets??????

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 09/05/12 01:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

MLR426

where did you come up with your information?
do you sell carpet sets??????

I would'nt have posted the info had I not heard it straight from the horses mouth, and I talk with Dave on a semi regular basis. Dave must have gotten a few more calls and changed his mind. So thats where I got my information. I don't just pull the info out of my B_TT and post up for no reason. SO HERE'S TOO YOU

MLR 426

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 09/05/12 02:28 PM

Quote:

The carpets are still available . A large order has been placed and should arrive soon.
Jules

Good news!

I guess i'll give them a call and see if I can place an order..Still finishing up the motor build so I have some time before I absolutely need to get the carpet in there. All thats left is to install the motor and put the seats and carpet in.

Thanks for the info

MB

Attached picture 7365688-69RTHEMIF8002(Large).jpg

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 09/05/12 02:41 PM

Quote:

I would'nt have posted the info had I not heard it straight from the horses mouth, and I talk with Dave on a semi regular basis. Dave must have gotten a few more calls and changed his mind. So thats where I got my information. I don't just pull the info out of my B_TT and post up for no reason. SO HERE'S TOO YOU

MLR 426

no worries!!

its easy to have confusing facts with two people both stating they have straight from Dave that he both offers/and dosent offer that service.

I was putting you in a competitors role who sells carpets and trying to push buyers away from ECS. sorry for the assumption.
Have a GREAT day!

resume thread please:
Posted By: 70moparmike

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 09/05/12 04:43 PM

just placed my order and they said the more orders, the faster they can get a big order in. so don't wait on everyone else, if you need one, get it ordered. they took no money over the phone, just my name and number. thanks moparts

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 09/05/12 05:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

MLR 426

no worries!!

its easy to have confusing facts with two people both stating they have straight from Dave that he both offers/and dosent offer that service.

I was putting you in a competitors role who sells carpets and trying to push buyers away from ECS. sorry for the assumption.
Have a GREAT day!

resume thread please:

Please stop assuming you know what that does I just had to spank your butt a little, same here no problem... I do not want Dave to discontinue anything his group is doing. I also fully support any items he's working on for future release. As Scott, and many have mentioned many people settle for 2nd best or close enough when close enough to many of us does'nt cut it. It would'nt surprise me if all to start seeing many desireable reproduction parts to start drying up never to be reproduced again.

MLR426

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 09/05/12 05:55 PM

Quote:

It would'nt surprise me if all to start seeing many desireable reproduction parts to start drying up never to be reproduced again.

You can count on that, there won't be any surprise. Simple economy of scale. Most reproduction parts were made with a one time minimum run to fill the initial supply line, when they are gone there won't be another run because there won't be enough cars left that need them to deplete the second run inventory.

Most Mopar specific reproduction parts companies consist of one or two people who've made the plunge and invested lots of coin into the (often risky) first run of parts, there won't be a second run if they had trouble selling out the first run in record time, especially the way the restoration hobby has slowed in recent years.Why tie up good money in inventory that just collects dust in hopes of future orders that may never come? If you need ANY reproduction parts for your car (which most of us do) don't sit on your wallet thinking you can just pick up the phone and order them any old time you want, order them now while you still can! It's the first thing I do when I take on a project, make a list of everything you need, be it NOS, reproduction, or used, and buy it ASAP....Worry about paint & body and other labor type work for last.
Posted By: mopars_1

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 09/05/12 09:13 PM

I had been on a waiting list for gold carpet for my 71 roadrunner and I got a call yesterday from Charlie saying they are going to be in within the next 3 weeks or so.
Posted By: mymcodebee

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 09/05/12 09:50 PM

I agree and it is a bummer. I wish I had an extra $10K sitting around just order some parts to stock up.

My brother just told me today that he ordered a set of the E-Body upper control arms and the supplier said they are being discontinued soon. The are not spot on repro's but they did save me a bunch of time and worked fine on my driver cuda. Just opened the box and plopped them in for $125 a pair.

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 09/05/12 10:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It would'nt surprise me if all to start seeing many desireable reproduction parts to start drying up never to be reproduced again.

You can count on that, there won't be any surprise. Simple economy of scale. Most reproduction parts were made with a one time minimum run to fill the initial supply line, when they are gone there won't be another run because there won't be enough cars left that need them to deplete the second run inventory.

Most Mopar specific reproduction parts companies consist of one or two people who've made the plunge and invested lots of coin into the (often risky) first run of parts, there won't be a second run if they had trouble selling out the first run in record time, especially the way the restoration hobby has slowed in recent years.Why tie up good money in inventory that just collects dust in hopes of future orders that may never come? If you need ANY reproduction parts for your car (which most of us do) don't sit on your wallet thinking you can just pick up the phone and order them any old time you want, order them now while you still can! It's the first thing I do when I take on a project, make a list of everything you need, be it NOS, reproduction, or used, and buy it ASAP....Worry about paint & body and other labor type work for last.

Thats a good point to bring up and I tell people all the time. Hoard the parts first. Generally speaking, mechanical and body will be there when you need it. Get the little stuff like all the NOS you can find, WOM's, exhaust tips, emblems, grilles, lenses, etc..

Long gone are the days when you can just go down to Walt Downer's place and buy ANYTHING you needed to restore an E body. All NOS. And I mean anything!!

MB
Posted By: VCODE

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 09/05/12 11:32 PM

Quote:

Jules

Yes guys, I just spoke with Dave and they are still offering carpet.It is made special for ECS The Carpet is made and comes off the line and put into the ECS container unfolded. It is the correct 80/20 loop, the toe plate is in the correct place. It is then checked at ECS and vacuumed and packed clean for your installation
Hope this helps and Thanks to Dave for a Great product
Bob
Posted By: 72ls5fla

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 09/06/12 02:29 AM

Not 100% sure of this but I am pretty sure you can buy Stock Interior mass backing carpet (made by ACC) very close to the ECS brand for about half the price.

Only reson I found this out is when I called ECS they told me they would nit be taking any orders for carpet any longer.
So I called ACC.

Now they do not ship it flat, but becuase it is MASS BACKING, it will lay flat to form after about 6-8 hours.

I think the key is MASS BACKING - it replicates the underside of factory carpeting very well. It is not the cheap looking white plastic stuff, it actualy black and at least 1/16 of an inch or more thick.
Because of this , it falls back to form very quickly once taken out of the shipping container.

I did my Challenger with it and the carpeting is dead nuts on for fit.
I just dropped it in, trimed of excess from sides and top (toe board).
It is not flimsey and I did not even need to use ANY glue at all.

Was VERY impressed.

Now I amd not sure if it 100% perfect with regard to toe pad and heel pad, but I compared to an original E body front carpet and sure looked darn right to me - but I am no expert.
Just though I would share.

Bill
Posted By: Desmond

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 09/06/12 02:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Jules

Good news!

I guess i'll give them a call and see if I can place an order..Still finishing up the motor build so I have some time before I absolutely need to get the carpet in there. All thats left is to install the motor and put the seats and carpet in.

Thanks for the info

MB

Beautiful job, Mike
Posted By: TseTse Runner

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 12/24/20 06:48 PM

I'm the 'newbie' on the block and am wondering what the outcome of this thread was.
It's now 2020 and I'm getting ready to get the carpet for my '69 Road Runner (b-body) 4 spd .
Please advise.
Thank you.

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 12/24/20 11:36 PM

The shipped flat carpet ended several years ago. I got one for my superbird restoration and it was helpful in laying the carpet but not sure it was successful for ECS causing them to stop offering it.
Posted By: 1969gtx

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 12/24/20 11:57 PM

shipping container issue talk with them Monday only thing left in stock 3 black 4 speed 68-70 b body 1 left now I ordered 2 of them
Posted By: AAR#2

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 12/25/20 02:23 PM

Speak directly with ACC, they supplied the ship flat carpets for ECS. I spoke with them years ago and they said they could ship flat but it was going to cost you a premium, I don’t remember what that fee was but I ended up going with their standard boxing to save the money. They explained carpets are made fresh to order and that no issues should be experienced if you open and lay the carpet out immediately upon receipt. I followed the recommendation and really had no issue, I placed it in the sun to warm it up and become more pliable. Biggest issue here was 15 min in the sun on a 115 degree day and I needed to wear gloves to be able to pick it up.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 12/25/20 07:00 PM

Nothing against the ECS shipped flat carpet.

But the last 2 sets of carpet I ordered via ACC were shipped in a few days.
Once arrived they were taken out of the box and paid out for a few days. Both had A LOT of material around the perimeter to trim off and I had NO issues installing them and both fit like a glove . Both were 4 speed B bodies
Posted By: fastmark

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 12/25/20 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by gtx6970
Nothing against the ECS shipped flat carpet.

But the last 2 sets of carpet I ordered via ACC were shipped in a few days.
Once arrived they were taken out of the box and paid out for a few days. Both had A LOT of material around the perimeter to trim off and I had NO issues installing them and both fit like a glove . Both were 4 speed B bodies

I agree with this. One of my customers ordered flat shipped carpet long before I was ready for. It was ordered it when he had the money. He stored it on its end, standing up for two months in his office! It was warped and wrinkled. My ACC carpet was shipped and I opened it up immediately. I laid it within a week and it fit like a glove. I saved $300 over him and spent half the time laying mine vs his.
Posted By: Barrelhouse

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 12/25/20 08:28 PM

Great news i want to buy a Black 4-spd moulded carpet for a 72 Demon, who do i call to order one.

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 12/26/20 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Barrelhouse
Great news i want to buy a Black 4-spd moulded carpet for a 72 Demon, who do i call to order one.

Dante.
Posted By: Dante

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 12/26/20 08:28 PM

Here is a link to the carpet. It is made to order and ships fresh in a couple days,

A-body Carpet
Posted By: RP's R/T's

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 12/28/20 08:32 PM

Was the ECS carpet just ACC Carpeting with special handling?
Posted By: 69bfan

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 12/29/20 01:29 AM

Yes, same carpet material, molds, heel pad, etc. Shipping method was the difference.
Posted By: 1972CudaV21

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 12/29/20 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by 69bfan
Yes, same carpet material, molds, heel pad, etc. Shipping method was the difference.

Wow! I expected a better quality or more accurate carpet from ECS.
Posted By: chrisf

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 12/29/20 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by 1972CudaV21
Originally Posted by 69bfan

Wow! I expected a better quality or more accurate carpet from ECS.

Time to start making them yourself! probably couple million should get you going and the hundred sets a year you might sell... should have your investment back in no time!
Posted By: 1972CudaV21

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 12/29/20 09:19 PM

Haha...nice way to go broke😀
Posted By: fuelishnsilly

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 12/31/20 02:02 AM

I seem to recall them (ECS) saying about having tighter specs on where the heel pad would get placed. I know other friends have had the heel pads way off in their carpet when they got them from ACC. One was too far forward and the gas pedal studs went through the plastic in the heel pad where I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be in front of the plastic heel pad.

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 12/31/20 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by fuelishnsilly
I seem to recall them (ECS) saying about having tighter specs on where the heel pad would get placed. I know other friends have had the heel pads way off in their carpet when they got them from ACC. One was too far forward and the gas pedal studs went through the plastic in the heel pad where I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be in front of the plastic heel pad.

Correct, Dave Walden had ACC fine tune their product by leaving more material at the edges for the customer to trim to their fit, as ACC had always cut the carpet with either just enough mat'l to barely make coverage, or in some cases leaving the the customers coming up short on material, esp at the door sill location DAMHIK , heal pad placement was corrected/maintained, also assurances that the color fading issue with certain colors was addressed and corrected, as well as OEM/factory corrected color offerings and flat handling right from the mold process all the way thru to shipment to his facility, I'm sure there were many other points that Dave had implemented to get the best possible product for his customers

Mike

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 12/31/20 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by fuelishnsilly

Nope. The best fitting carpet I every had was was just a plain old order from Dante’s. The heal pad was almost perfect. The acc pedal does go right through the top right corner of the heal pad on my 70 Charger. I have my original carpet to compare it too. The ESC flat shipped one for my customers 69 Charger was 1.5” too low. my next acc carport was about a 1/2” too low. You have an employee hand placing that stuff. I would imagine the process may be more trying than some employees want to do. I think it’s hit or miss.
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 12/31/20 03:15 PM

ACC mass backed sure seemed to fit well. Since the backing is molded to the shape of the floor pan, there’s no adjusting the carpet location when installing. Plenty of excess material on all sides, so never any area where it came up short.
I’ve only installed one mass backed set, so I’m no expert but based on my experience it seems like the best carpet choice to me.

Re: ECS "shipped flat" carpet review?? - 01/01/21 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mastershake340
ACC mass backed sure seemed to fit well. Since the backing is molded to the shape of the floor pan, there’s no adjusting the carpet location when installing. Plenty of excess material on all sides, so never any area where it came up short.
I’ve only installed one mass backed set, so I’m no expert but based on my experience it seems like the best carpet choice to me.

Agreed, I've done several mass backed ACC carpets, Mopar and brand X and IMHO it's the best fitting and looking carpet in regards to how it lays out and retains it shape, no wrinkles, smooth contours due to the membrane, generally I opt for an ACC carpet made in cut high pile w/mass backing, not a fan of the OEM 80/20 loop.....

Mike

few pics of standard backing vs mass backing for those not acquainted

Attached picture massbacking.JPG
Attached picture ACCcarpetmassvsnylon.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums