Moparts

OCD Shaker Bubble Detail

Posted By: YYZ

OCD Shaker Bubble Detail - 08/23/12 02:42 PM

Some pics of an original, assembly-line-correct, scoop assembly and fasteners for the OCD among us.

This is an NOS/virgin part that never even made it to Chrysler back in the day but was kept by a Fram employee. The bubble has never been mounted, emblem holes have not been punched through (still a bit of casting flash).

Attached picture 7347096-Doorassembly.jpg

Re: OCD Shaker Bubble Detail - 08/23/12 02:43 PM

Black phosphate screw with 'S' marking on head and integral washer holding on the cable at the cold air door.

Attached picture 7347100-Shortcableatdoor.jpg

Re: OCD Shaker Bubble Detail - 08/23/12 02:44 PM

Black phosphate screw with 'S' marking and 5/8" clear zinc washer holding cable at back of bubble

Attached picture 7347102-Shortcableatback.jpg

Re: OCD Shaker Bubble Detail - 08/23/12 02:46 PM

Black phosphate screw with 'S' marking holding lower leg of RH grille (both are the same)

Attached picture 7347103-RHgrille.jpg

Re: OCD Shaker Bubble Detail - 08/23/12 02:46 PM

Black phosphate screw with 'S' marking holding lower legs of LH grille

Attached picture 7347105-LHgrille.jpg

Re: OCD Shaker Bubble Detail - 08/23/12 02:47 PM

Clear zinc screws with 'E' marking holding down upper tabs of the grilles, cold air door and ground strap

Attached picture 7347106-Colddoor.jpg

Re: OCD Shaker Bubble Detail - 08/23/12 02:48 PM

Note that there is a bit of textured argent overspray, along with some flecks of red primer overspray on the underside of the bubble

Also note that the original grilles are not black throughout like the NOS replacements, but have been quickly sprayed black from the front/top/back leaving plenty of the bare potmetal exposed

Attached picture 7347108-View2ofdoors.jpg
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: OCD Shaker Bubble Detail - 08/23/12 02:48 PM

Great detail pics Vlad! I wish I had the loot to grab that one from you
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: OCD Shaker Bubble Detail - 08/23/12 02:50 PM

Quote:

Black phosphate screw with 'S' marking on head and integral washer holding on the cable at the cold air door.

These ?

Re: OCD Shaker Bubble Detail - 08/23/12 02:52 PM

Detail of hot air door attachment - 3 tall, yellow zinc nuts with captive washers. Clear zinc hanger bolts are threaded into the bubble.

Same fasteners used at the far edges of the cold air door.

Actuator rod is clear zinc with black phosphate linkage clips.

Note that the short ground strap has never been crushed down - bubble may be old but it's unused

Attached picture 7347115-Hotdoor.jpg

Re: OCD Shaker Bubble Detail - 08/23/12 02:53 PM

Markings on original short cable - I will try to get some better pics later as the camera is not agreeing with me...

Attached picture 7347119-Cablemarkings.jpg

Re: OCD Shaker Bubble Detail - 08/23/12 02:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

These ?

Those are really close. On my bubble, the 'S' marking is within a circle. Also with the integral washer, it looks like yours may have a bit of a flower shape (not perfectly circular) or is it just the photo?
Posted By: wally426ci

Re: OCD Shaker Bubble Detail - 08/23/12 05:06 PM

Holy crap, how did you find that?!
Posted By: TiMopar

Re: OCD Shaker Bubble Detail - 08/23/12 05:51 PM

Thanks for posting!
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: OCD Shaker Bubble Detail - 08/23/12 07:23 PM

Nice score...Excellent example for the details...Thanks for posting..
Posted By: Stewpar

Re: OCD Shaker Bubble Detail - 08/23/12 11:34 PM

Any pics from the topside?????
Posted By: 1cuda

Re: OCD Shaker Bubble Detail - 08/23/12 11:41 PM

great to see-more pics if you can-some of us will never see things like this in real life.
thanx again
frank.
Posted By: 71redcuda

Re: OCD Shaker Bubble Detail - 08/24/12 08:41 AM

Quote:

Nice score...Excellent example for the details...Thanks for posting..

Great reference pictures. Thanks for sharing!

Re: OCD Shaker Bubble Detail - 08/24/12 12:27 PM

Thanks everyone - I'll put some more up as time permits.

Growing up not far from where these were made has its advantages sometimes.....
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: OCD Shaker Bubble Detail - 08/24/12 01:56 PM

this post makes me compare mine to it, since mine is also original...
Posted By: tpabayflyer

Re: OCD Shaker Bubble Detail - 08/24/12 04:18 PM

Although I am just building a "clone" car very useful info... Thank you....
Posted By: a12rag

Re: OCD Shaker Bubble Detail - 08/24/12 05:25 PM

Not to hijack the post, but what do you do with such an obvious historic part ? Leave it as is and a reference piece ? Sell it to someone that will use on an OE Gold car, or someone like Steve Guliano ?? Use it on your car - as you were searching for it for your car ?? Sell it and get a repop for use on your car ??

I know there are many opinions out there on this . . . just wondering . . .

Cheers

Mark

Re: OCD Shaker Bubble Detail - 08/25/12 10:43 AM

Quote:

Not to hijack the post, but what do you do with such an obvious historic part ? Leave it as is and a reference piece ? Sell it to someone that will use on an OE Gold car, or someone like Steve Guliano ?? Use it on your car - as you were searching for it for your car ?? Sell it and get a repop for use on your car ??

Cheers

Mark

You raise a good point and essentially, that's why I'm letting go of this part. It would be selfish to use its 'OEMness' on a car that will be driven regularly and instead would be better suited to someone doing an OE Gold restoration or who would like a cool conversation piece.

For my own N96 I have enough original and NOS parts, including a pristine bubble, to put together a very correct assembly, but one that is no longer virgin.

That said, as much as I need a pair of OEM cables to complete it, I will not disturb the first scoop by swiping the short cable for my own use
Posted By: wunderless

Re: OCD Shaker Bubble Detail - 08/27/12 07:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Cheers

Mark

You raise a good point and essentially, that's why I'm letting go of this part. It would be selfish to use its 'OEMness' on a car that will be driven regularly and instead would be better suited to someone doing an OE Gold restoration or who would like a cool conversation piece.

For my own N96 I have enough original and NOS parts, including a pristine bubble, to put together a very correct assembly, but one that is no longer virgin.

That said, as much as I need a pair of OEM cables to complete it, I will not disturb the first scoop by swiping the short cable for my own use

And this is why I respect your opinion on all things Mopar...

I owe you a few pennies by the way...
Posted By: Mopar_Mudder

Re: OCD Shaker Bubble Detail - 08/29/12 10:30 PM

These are really great, a big thanks goes out to you. Hard to tell because each picture looks a little different and I am half color blind which doesn't help. But can you tell about what color the underside of the bubble is before the over spray got on it?
© 2024 Moparts Forums