Moparts

Replacement dash VIN tag for damaged VIN tag?

Posted By: 69charger440_6pa

Replacement dash VIN tag for damaged VIN tag? - 07/22/12 09:47 PM

Hey guys,

Question for you. Does anyone offer Replacement factory styled VIN tags for the dash? I slipped with my DA sander and hit the dash tag and the last few letters are not as sharp as the others. They are still legible but I would like to make it look better. I would imagine that this is a very controversial topic for some. Not looking to do anything illegal or immoral just want my VIN tag to look good.

Thanks

Ryan
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Replacement dash VIN tag for damaged VIN tag? - 07/22/12 10:31 PM

As you stated, it's a big
The feds do NOT have a legal process to replace a damaged one with a fresh one. The states will affix a STATE ID plate.
That said, http://www.datatags.com/
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Replacement dash VIN tag for damaged VIN tag? - 07/22/12 10:34 PM

The counterfeit VINs made on the black market are easy to spot.

You are much better off with the damaged original.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Replacement dash VIN tag for damaged VIN tag? - 07/23/12 12:43 AM

Quote:

Posted By: HPMike

Re: Replacement dash VIN tag for damaged VIN tag? - 07/23/12 12:50 AM

Quote:

\

I agree...

In fact I actually like a car that is restored but shows the tags as all origianl, wrinkles and all..Then no one can think there is any monkey business,,,

MB
Posted By: AAR#2

Re: Replacement dash VIN tag for damaged VIN tag? - 07/23/12 01:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

\

I agree...

In fact I actually like a car that is restored but shows the tags as all origianl, wrinkles and all..Then no one can think there is any monkey business,,,

MB

Good thing the unscrupulous in the hobby haven't thought to weather their replacement items to throw people off . . . . oh wait, that does happen. . . .
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Replacement dash VIN tag for damaged VIN tag? - 07/23/12 02:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

\

I agree...

MB

Good thing the unscrupulous in the hobby haven't thought to weather their replacement items to throw people off . . . . oh wait, that does happen. . . .

Yep...a little bit of heat from a heatgun to "blue" the paint on a fresh tag and age the new Chrysler transfer, and a light kiss with scotchbrite over the letters and rivets...who wouda thunk,...hope the "black market" doesn't catch on!
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Replacement dash VIN tag for damaged VIN tag? - 07/23/12 05:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

\

I agree...

MB

I purposely masked off my VIN tag when my dash frame was redone; it is there with the faded original paint stamp and paint missing from the top of the letters/numbers.

...and yes, if it's legible then my advice is to keep it as is; A reproduction VIN tag will forever cast a cloud over the car's pedigree if it's discovered...is it worth it just to have a nice looking tag? I think not.

Dave
Posted By: mopars_1

Re: Replacement dash VIN tag for damaged VIN tag? - 07/23/12 06:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

\

I agree...

MB

I purposely masked off my VIN tag when my dash frame was redone; it is there with the faded original paint stamp and paint missing from the top of the letters/numbers.

...and yes, if it's legible then my advice is to keep it as is; A reproduction VIN tag will forever cast a cloud over the car's pedigree if it's discovered...is it worth it just to have a nice looking tag? I think not.

Dave

I too would just leave it. when I restored my dash for my roadrunner, I repainted the vin. no sence in having a really nice looking car with a crappy looking vin IMO.
Posted By: EF8aar

Re: Replacement dash VIN tag for damaged VIN tag? - 07/23/12 06:27 PM

Leave it alone... take a picture of it and the dash at this stage of the resto. The immediate area is probably a little scuffed up from the DA as well.
© 2024 Moparts Forums