Moparts

71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced?

Posted By: RTshaker

71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/15/12 01:51 PM

Did any cars get produced with V6J lime or V6V orange stripes I seen cars with orange and red but they may have been added. I though I had heard these colours were canceled ??
Posted By: KISSAlien

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/15/12 02:27 PM

Yes, I have seen orange stripes on White, Black, and Hemi Orange R/Ts. I have never seen a Lime stripe car in person, but do have info on one R/T and a non-R/T.
Posted By: YYZ

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/15/12 02:44 PM

I have the door to a white '71 383 R/T with orange stripes in my stash.....

There is a black with orange stripe survivor that has been at Carlisle in the survivor tent

There is an black/orange stripe V-code owned by a member in TX

http://moparcollectors.com/v6v.html

So at least a few got out....
Posted By: 1cuda

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/15/12 03:44 PM

i remember in a mopar magazine a hemi orange 71 r/t with reflective orange stripes. wierd but very cool. i don`t think lime was available for 71 as they were decals unlike the painted 70 bumblebee stripes that i have seen in all sorts of colors-even white on a white car.
all the best
frank.

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/15/12 04:12 PM

I seen the black and orange at Carlisle .That was around the time I had heard about the orange not be available{surviver questionable in my mind ..looked hard at it }. My car is a black stripe delete {with R/T fender badge } .In the past I tried white but car looked too "skunky" the orange flourescent looked good I wouldn`t mine trying it for awhile if it was available as OEM.I know red is available by aftermarket. Thanks

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/15/12 04:35 PM

Quote:

i remember in a mopar magazine a hemi orange 71 r/t with reflective orange stripes. wierd but very cool. i don`t think lime was available for 71 as they were decals unlike the painted 70 bumblebee stripes that i have seen in all sorts of colors-even white on a white car.
all the best
frank.

All longitudinal sport stripes on Challengers were decals, regardless of year.

White with white stripe and black with black stripe cars are known to exist for 1971.

And as I mentioned I have some info on two V6J cars for 1971. Both of them are Green Go, though the stripes could be had on black cars too with the right interior color.

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/15/12 04:38 PM

Quote:

I seen the black and orange at Carlisle .That was around the time I had heard about the orange not be available{surviver questionable in my mind ..looked hard at it }.

I know the car you mean. I believe it's out of NY. I probably had the same questions. I'd have to look at my notes but I don't think the stripes are called out on the fender tag of that car. But it's on the window sticker I think. Can't remember all the details.
Posted By: copperSwinger

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/15/12 04:53 PM

Black with flat black stripe looks best to my eye. Final answer.

Or surely someone makes a dark silver one, even though it "wasnt available"(who will know any better?) . It would make the car unique, something no one else has.
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/15/12 09:50 PM

Anybody got a pic of the white/orange?
Posted By: YYZ

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/15/12 10:34 PM

Unfortunately one of the former owners of the door sprayed flat black paint over the orange on the stripe...

Anyone else?

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/16/12 05:40 PM

Quote:

Anybody got a pic of the white/orange?

The car I have pics of actually has the black stripes installed on it instead of the correct orange ones as called for on the FT and BS.
Posted By: 69CoronetRT

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/16/12 05:52 PM

Quote:

Did any cars get produced with V6J lime or V6V orange stripes I seen cars with orange and red but they may have been added. I though I had heard these colours were canceled ??

EV2 with V6V

Attached picture 7252494-Challenger_orange_orange.jpg
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/16/12 06:35 PM

Man I love that car......

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/16/12 08:49 PM

Interestingly enough, the default stripe color for certain EV2 cars (depending on the interior) was V6V:

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/colorAndTrim/1971/71_Challenger0008.jpg.

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/18/12 12:21 PM

Ok so now does any make a flourescent orange stripe ?I see listings for gloss /flat black , white ,red and silver but no orange.let alone flouresent orange???
Posted By: wally426ci

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/18/12 01:50 PM

I think Pheonix can make anything you want.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/18/12 07:26 PM

Most stripe companies cut there own vinyl graphics with a cutting machine. So they can do whatever you want if they have the right pattern.

I'd be worried about figuring out the original color of the Orange stripe. I'd think that color would fade easy on original cars (if there is an original car with the sticker still on it).

Seems all the new repro stripes are thinner than originals.

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/18/12 09:45 PM

All of the fluorescent stripes faded quickly.

Performance Car Graphics used to have the orange ones. Don't know if they still do.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/18/12 10:11 PM

Quote:

Ok so now does any make a flourescent orange stripe ?I see listings for gloss /flat black , white ,red and silver but no orange.let alone flouresent orange???

You might want to give Moparts member "ChallengerGary" a try, and see if he's interested in doing a project like this...or Pheonix Graphics
Posted By: Silver70

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/19/12 12:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You might want to give Moparts member "ChallengerGary" a try, and see if he's interested in doing a project like this...or Pheonix Graphics

Gary and I worked together on getting a challenger stripe made a few years back. I had a place mix the color for the vinyl and had it sent to Gary for cutting it. Since then I believe phoenix graphic started selling the color.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/19/12 02:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Gary and I worked together on getting a challenger stripe made a few years back. I had a place mix the color for the vinyl and had it sent to Gary for cutting it. Since then I believe phoenix graphic started selling the color.

What did you use for a sample original color?
Posted By: Silver70

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/19/12 05:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What did you use for a sample original color?

I had a stripe done in ledger green and another member supplied me with a piece of an nos sample. Place that mix vinyl/print vinyl can supply you with a fab of colors. If you want something custom, you can send them something to scan to match it.
Posted By: Andy440

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/19/12 06:12 PM

V6V on EV2

Attached picture 7256397-P6030156.jpg
Posted By: Andy440

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/20/12 08:42 AM

V6V on TX9

Attached picture 7257518-IMG_1165.jpg
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/20/12 02:50 PM

Quote:

V6V on TX9

Seen that one at Carlisle... IIRC it's a "survivor", original owner too IIRC?
Posted By: ChallengerGary

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/21/12 10:20 PM

Not a problem - i can definitely do orange 71 Challenger stripes

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/22/12 12:09 PM

Gary :Would your orange be a match with the OEM color{wouldn`t care if it were not truely flourescent } but be more durable ??

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/22/12 03:03 PM

Yes, modern vinyls actually last longer than the ones from 1970. The original stripes were made using a 3M calendared vinyl. It was probably only rated for 2-3 years of outdoor use (based on non-fluorescent colors). Modern calendared vinyl is rated for 4-7 years depending on color. Today's Cast vinyls are even higher rated. Most Cast material is rated for 6-10 years.

Fluorescent colors are a different matter, however. They are not durable at all - they are generally rated for just 6 months of outdoor use. They will fade really fast regardless of brand - basically they loose their fluorescence and you will be left with a faded orange decal which will actually appear slightly darker than it originally did once it looses the fluorescence.

So, if you want an orange stripe, the best thing to do would be for me to send you the swatch book so that you can choose which shade and type of material you want.

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/22/12 03:55 PM

Gary I`m in canada but would trust any thing you feel would be very close to the original unfaded orange ...providing you have some thing to reference ??? Thanks Scott

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/22/12 05:38 PM

Based on these pics - those orange stripes are no longer fluorescent so it is really hard to tell what color would provide the best match.

Avery has a color called SC9169O Pantone 021 that looks like it may be the way to go. Or you may want to consider Oracal 951-035 Pastel Orange. It has about the highest wear rating possible at 10 years.

Either route you decide go, price would be $125. That's $75 for the stripes plus $50 for special order material (based on minimum I have to buy from my supplier).

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/23/12 02:59 AM

Should probably be reflective:

Attached picture 7261416-blackchallenger.jpg

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/23/12 07:53 PM

Quote:

Should probably be reflective:

As far as I know, none of the colors of Challenger stripes were reflective.

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/23/12 10:27 PM

I thought they may have been based on Plymouth stripes of the era, like 71 RR roof stripes....

I bet it would look sweet.....

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/24/12 02:59 PM

I'm tired of seeing black/orange and orange/orange. I wanna see something else/orange and something else/green!

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/25/12 01:16 AM

Quote:

I'm tired of seeing black/orange and orange/orange. I wanna see something else/orange and something else/green!

You go to more shows than anyone and you haven't come across any yet? ;-)

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/25/12 04:14 AM

Do you have pics that you aren't allowed to share?

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/25/12 06:23 AM

Nope.

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/25/12 06:28 AM

Just pretend a bit on this one.

Attached picture 7264601-Untitled-1.jpg
Posted By: MONC

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/26/12 12:39 AM

Mmmmmmmmm GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN ....

Attached picture 7265473-securedownload.jpg

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/27/12 12:40 PM

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 06/27/12 06:25 PM

The '71 would look like that, but with different stripes.
Posted By: gomangoRTSE

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 07/01/12 04:14 PM

Hey, does anyone have any pics of 70 RT Challengers that are GoMango orange with anything other than your black logitudinal stripes. I would like to go either white, white bumblebee or some other color that could have been used in either Longitudinal or Bumblebee.

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 07/01/12 04:37 PM

Hey, man, this thread is not for "regular" stripes….

Here's one for you:

http://www.examiner.com/article/yikes-stripes
Posted By: Beebuzzn

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 07/01/12 05:21 PM

Quote:

Hey, does anyone have any pics of 70 RT Challengers that are GoMango orange with anything other than your black logitudinal stripes. I would like to go either white, white bumblebee or some other color that could have been used in either Longitudinal or Bumblebee.

I know you asked for Gomango and white, but here is ev2 hemi orange with white bee stripe. Took a little work to match the original 70'dirty white color.

Attached picture 7272757-Picture155.jpg
Posted By: stickman

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 07/04/12 11:21 PM

I love that gomango challenger with the yellow tail stripe.I wonder how that would look without the se rear trim panel. It would be orange in the back.
Posted By: LVSRT10

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 12/16/12 03:09 AM

There was a 70 R/T Challenger U code in Las Vegas when I was 16 in a wrecking yard. I didn't write any codes down, but it would have been FJ5 H6X9 V9Y V21 V3W. Way too many colors on 1 car for me, but it certainly was unique. I should have bought it looking back on it now. Factory air, power windows, and cruise control (turn signal lever was still in it).

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 12/16/12 03:33 AM

Posted By: LVSRT10

Re: 71 challenger Rt orange and lime stripes produced? - 12/16/12 07:12 AM

The one in the wrecking yard wasn't that shiny, but same paint color. Looks pretty good with the black vinyl top, not so much with a white one. Thanks for posting the pic.
© 2024 Moparts Forums