Moparts

15 X 7 trim rings

Posted By: 3406pac

15 X 7 trim rings - 06/04/12 02:00 PM

Was wondering if anyone has used these and would like to hear opinions? Are they the same as the 70 mopar? Close enough or is this the only choice?
Thanks
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...#ht_4743wt_1155
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 06/04/12 02:57 PM

Same ring.less money,been buying them for years.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/csb/full.aspx?Page=102
Posted By: RJS

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 06/04/12 10:21 PM

WOW good tip Bill!!!!
Do they leave a space like in the picture of their 15x 7?
Ron
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 06/04/12 10:31 PM

Ron,they fit a 15x7 rally just like the O.E.M.,no gap.The only difference is the retainer,other than that you can't tell them apart.That outfit used to run periodic specials on them at one time,I bought them as low as $75 a set plus shipping,not sure if they still do.
Posted By: RJS

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 06/04/12 10:33 PM

Nice!!!!
Posted By: sleepyhead416

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 06/09/12 04:15 PM

GREAT Heads up !!! Now if I could only find a GOOD deal on centers ??
Posted By: 340challconvert

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 05/08/15 02:06 AM

great tip on the 15 in rally wheel trim rings
Posted By: mopar346

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 05/08/15 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By 62maxwgn
Ron,they fit a 15x7 rally just like the O.E.M.,no gap.The only difference is the retainer,other than that you can't tell them apart.That outfit used to run periodic specials on them at one time,I bought them as low as $75 a set plus shipping,not sure if they still do.

Do you have a part number, the link only takes you to the site not the product. When you say you cant tell them apart, are the ridges on the edge the same? Any close up pictures?
Posted By: AAR#2

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 05/08/15 05:28 AM

Get on it Kevin, I'd like for you to get this figured out before I get to the point I need them . . .
Posted By: mccannix

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 05/08/15 06:05 AM

If they are the same as the ones in the ebay ad, more than just the retainer is different.
The ebay ad ones have the typical Chevrolet large oval valve stem opening very distinguishable from Mopar ( picture from the ebay listing )
Original 15 x 7 Mopar ring below it.

Attached picture zzzxz.jpg
Attached picture zzzzzzzzz.jpg

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 05/08/15 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By AAR#2
Get on it Kevin, I'd like for you to get this figured out before I get to the point I need them . . .

Why don't you buy me a set of the LMCs and I will brush them on a balancer and show a true side by side comparison with my originals.

I think they are going out for reconditioning at some point but 2 of them have serious road rash, if anyone has some decent originals they want to donate I'm all ears.
Posted By: P1970HeMICuDA

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 05/08/15 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By mopar346

Do you have a part number, the link only takes you to the site not the product. When you say you cant tell them apart, are the ridges on the edge the same? Any close up pictures?

Ditto on the Part#

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 05/08/15 02:06 PM

I think it's 38-7777 for a set of 4 at $89.95 or 38-7778 each at $29.95 but they are definitely the oval hole and from the pictures appear different. If these are the ones they appear to be repop for the GM 15 X7 ralleys like on the 69 Z/28, I think I have some original trim rings for those and they have different rim ridges.

I would really like to hear the follow up from 62max on the specifics of "cant tell them apart". I cant image we would all be draggin this out if it was a $90 fix. I guess I'm gonna have to order a set and do a side by side, worse case is I have a decent set for my RS/SS. grin
Posted By: ratroaster

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 05/08/15 05:33 PM

I bought a set of the LMC's last fall and they are no where even close to the Mopar original 15 x 7's. They are a full 3" depth but have oval valve stem openings and no ridges on the outside lip. Plus they had a yellow tint to the chrome. Not even close. I promptly sent them back. Not sure if they changed suppliers at some point or what.

I found these on E-bay (Linked below) and they are the closest I could find and they really look pretty darn good. They are not the full 3" depth so they will leave a 1/4" gap. Reasonable price and good for a driver in my book. For the cost and value of the original rings anymore, I am afraid to run them on the street.

Trim rings
Posted By: bbodybill

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 05/10/15 01:12 AM

Same ring.less money,been buying them for years.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/csb/full.aspx?Page=102

I bought a set of those rings. It appears to me that the "Valve stem holes" (in the trim ring), are quite elongated when compared to the original... Significant difference IMHO..
Posted By: gygeneral

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 05/13/15 05:03 PM

On the LMC site there is another set of rings. Part number 38-770 and 3773. They are on the next page from the ones mentioned above. Anybody know anything about them?? What is the difference from the 38-777/3778 rings.???
Posted By: flypaper

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 05/21/15 10:34 PM

Originally Posted By ratroaster
I bought a set of the LMC's last fall and they are no where even close to the Mopar original 15 x 7's. They are a full 3" depth but have oval valve stem openings and no ridges on the outside lip. Plus they had a yellow tint to the chrome. Not even close. I promptly sent them back. Not sure if they changed suppliers at some point or what.

I found these on E-bay (Linked below) and they are the closest I could find and they really look pretty darn good. They are not the full 3" depth so they will leave a 1/4" gap. Reasonable price and good for a driver in my book. For the cost and value of the original rings anymore, I am afraid to run them on the street.

Trim rings

thanks for the link
i just picked up a set of these for a driver
for 90 bucks i can dent/rash/goober them up without a worry.
Posted By: cudaized

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 05/26/15 03:30 PM

Has anyone found a source to repair our original 15 X 7 trim rings?

I lost my link in the saved section...
Posted By: ratroaster

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 05/26/15 06:00 PM

Quote:
Has anyone found a source to repair our original 15 X 7 trim rings?

Rick Miller does them. rkmiller@infowest.com
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 05/26/15 08:01 PM

If you are talking about the original trim rings they can be repaired. The only things that is hard to do is putting the brushed look back on the trim ring for the 1971 look. Polished is not problem to do.

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 05/27/15 01:27 AM

Hemicar1971 is correct.
There are those few out there who claim they can do it, especially if time is of no concern to you.
Case in point.... his friend Stuart.
I have had 12 birthdays while he has one of my trim rings to experiment on.
He should have his tecnique down to a science in the next few years I hope.
Sort of regret telling him I was in no hurry.

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 05/27/15 05:14 AM

I bet that is what your girl friend was saying also.

Maybe when you are up this part of the world this weekend I will pull out the 15X7 Trim Rings Stuart did for me. Lots of curb rash and dings before he filed and tapped every one to perfection.
Posted By: BS27R1B

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 05/27/15 05:12 PM

What was the cost Kevin?

How many birthdays passed while they were repaired?
Posted By: RP's R/T's

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 05/27/15 05:47 PM

Rick Miller has had my rings for 7 months. I am hopeful to see them soon.
Approximately $100 for each ring.
Some rings were too far gone to fix...there apparently is a limit.
Posted By: AAR#2

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 05/27/15 05:59 PM

Is it safe to say the limit of repair is associated with depth of curb rash, seems dents and dings are an easy fix.

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 05/27/15 06:22 PM

You really have to know this Stuart. He builds and casts a lot of things for his cars. He Built the hood inserts for his 1968 GTS Dart from pictures in a Magazine. It takes him about a week to two weeks to do each trim ring once he has time. He disassembles the ring and works on the major rash damage punching it flat and filing the rash. The only problem is he ends up with a polished look after all the fine sanding. Well it is a problem if your car came with the brushed trim rings but not if you have a 1970. Terry is right Stuart has had his Dart Hub Cap for a long time and I will talk to Stuart to get him going on it. Terry should know once you retire you have less time to do car stuff or less time to do any thing in life.

The cost was trading parts for his Cuda, it took him most of the winter watching TV while doing the rings.

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 05/27/15 08:18 PM

He must watch a lot of TV then on my time...12 years and counting.....tick tick.
He makes Galen look like a speed demon.

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 05/27/15 09:57 PM

Quote:

I will pull out the 15X7 Trim Rings Stuart did for me. Lots of curb rash and dings before he filed and tapped every one to perfection.
Bring one to the depot show on Sunday for all to see.
No excuses on this one.
If you dont bring it, then it didn't happen.

Probable answer to this post...."Not sure if I'm going Sunday, bad back and all"

Then on arriving on Sunday, either:

"Jeez I forgot them"
or
"I couldn't find them "

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 05/28/15 01:40 AM

Funny Galen, I mean Terry you have picked those 15X7 Trim rings up in my basement with your own hands and asked were I got them and I told you Stuart did the repair on them. That is how Stuart ended up in the long run with your trim Ring Hub Cap because you saw these rings and want him to work on yours. Who should I show the trim rings to at the show, because like usual you will get to the show at 5 am before the sun comes up and be driving home about 830 am before most humans even start their Vehicles up to go to the show. I know you dont know how to take another exit west of Courtice until you get to Missauga Rd. so seeing them at my house is another no show. You want me to go over to Stuarts and take the Hood Insert he made off his Dart and bring them also. Bring the new wife to the show, she is much nicer and remembers cars stuff better than you do.

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 05/28/15 02:54 AM

Think I will bring some popcorn and a chair on Sunday.
Posted By: 69_SIX_PACK

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 05/28/15 03:16 AM

Originally Posted By BS27R1B
Think I will bring some popcorn and a chair on Sunday.

You better get there early for a prime spot, as it fills up quick...

Dave

Attached picture DSCF0117.JPG

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 05/28/15 04:04 AM

Looks like all kinds of room on the other side of the fence Dave.
What time was that picture taken? It looks like Kevin is giving a demo on the slice and dicer.
Posted By: moparo

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 05/28/15 04:14 AM

Looks like Glen is being sneaky

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 05/28/15 05:39 AM

See you Sunday when you finally get there....oh, and dont forget the trim ring and we can all be warm, fuzzy and happy again.

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 05/28/15 07:57 PM

I never knew you were so infatuated with my Garage and Me and my Sons Pocket Bike with the NOS to keep 12 year old pictures. I guess I am a Super Star in someones mind or do we have a stoker on board. I have nothing to prove bringing any trim ring for your purposes. You have already seen them and if you had not lost the Ladder Match falling off the ladder climbing to your roof knocking yourself out and breaking you arm when hitting the ground you would remember that you have had your hands on the rings many times.

I was going to go to Quebec with other cars guys to see the Generals play on Sunday for the Memorial Cup, but maybe I will show up to have my picture taken again since I am a Super Star.

Rick can stop in at my house anytime and I will show him the rings and I can take him over to talk to Stuart if he chooses.

Now what time is your seminar over at the show, I do not want to disturb the Guru while in the middle of his speech.

Might be there, might not.
Posted By: floyd

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 05/28/15 11:30 PM

I've seen that pic of Kevin somewhere before...

Attached picture big.jpg

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 05/30/15 02:51 PM

Good or bad, it looks like Kevin will be in a raincoat if he makes it Sunday.
Probably better in a raincoat in Quebec.
Posted By: moparo

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 05/31/15 04:39 AM

Looks like a ninja
Posted By: RP's R/T's

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 06/28/15 05:21 PM

I received the trim rings from Rick. They are very nice.
About $100 each to have them fixed/repolished.

I maybe should have asked him in advance, but all the rings get polished. Then, he 'brushes' the ones that you want brushed. If I knew that in advance I would have had everything polished. (I had some of each done)

So, while it took longer than I expected. I am happy with the results.
Posted By: 70440SIXPK

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 06/28/15 07:00 PM

With all this madness over repro trim rings, kinda makes me wonder what my NOS ones are worth...
Posted By: cudaized

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 06/29/15 10:15 PM

Rick says about 6 weeks.
Posted By: 44D6PAKCUDA

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 06/29/15 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By 70440SIXPK
With all this madness over repro trim rings, kinda makes me wonder what my NOS ones are worth...

3-4K to the right guy

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 06/30/15 01:06 AM

HOLY COW! I just spilled my coffee! I cant imagine someone paying that for trim rings! Maybe I'll sacrifice them for a straight axle on my 55 chevy, my car came with 14x6 dog dishes... no sense in me hanging on to something that I have no use for...
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 06/30/15 06:02 AM

HOLY COW! I just spilled my coffee! I cant imagine someone paying that for trim rings! Maybe I'll sacrifice them for a straight axle on my 55 chevy, my car came with 14x6 dog dishes... no sense in me hanging on to something that I have no use for...

Are they NOS from 1990 or newer? Then they are probably 15x6.5 rings that were sold as 15x7's.

Need to actually measure them or get a date with part number on the package.

I have a set of NOS 15x6.5 ones from 1991. I don't think those are anywhere near 3-4K.

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 06/30/15 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By autoxcuda

Are they NOS from 1990 or newer? Then they are probably 15x6.5 rings that were sold as 15x7's.

I have a set of NOS 15x6.5 ones from 1991. I don't think those are anywhere near 3-4K.

Correct,most "real" 15x7 trim rings(3" tall/deep) ones were shipped in bags and are not seen very often.Chrysler never changed the part number once they narrowed them up in the mid 70's and a few people think they have real ones only to be disappointed.

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 06/30/15 01:57 PM

Quote:

most "real" 15x7 trim rings(3" tall/deep) ones were shipped in bags and are not seen very often.Chrysler never changed the part number once they narrowed them up in the mid 70's and a few people think they have real ones only to be disappointed.

Correct.... and the 6.5 style are found to have this decal with a date and usually came in a box.

Attached picture zring3.jpg

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 06/30/15 02:05 PM

True original 15x7 trim rings have this decal as seen on this NOS ring, or 3461043 for chrome, no date on the decal....or the seldom seen 'Chryco' Canada one below

Attached picture zring1.jpg
Attached picture zring2.jpg
Posted By: TONY_DAGOSTINO

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 07/01/15 03:04 PM

we will have a bunch or used original 15"x7" trim rings with us at Carlisle, spaces B10-B16, come by and pick out 1 or all.

they are already on the trailer so please don't ask about any right now

thanks

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 07/01/15 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By 44D6PAKCUDA
Originally Posted By autoxcuda

Correct,most "real" 15x7 trim rings(3" tall/deep) ones were shipped in bags and are not seen very often.Chrysler never changed the part number once they narrowed them up in the mid 70's and a few people think they have real ones only to be disappointed.

Hmmm this gets me thinkin... My car was bought from the second owner with a trunk full of NOS parts in 1988. So that would rule the early 90's rings out... Now when the last owner purchased the parts I have no clue. I know that she at least owned it since 1979. I would imagine that these rings are from the early 80s maybe late 70s.

I don't have them in front of me because they are at the shop. I'll have to get some pics and part numbers on Friday. I do know that they are in a bag. The old paper backed ones with the almost yellowish looking plastic on the top.

Never really put much thought in them cause my car came with dog dishes, and I have a build sheet to back it so I didn't want to go changing it up for looks. I do enjoy rally's, but I'm a purist and like my car the way it came. I knew that they worth a lot, but not that much. Hopefully they are the true 15x7 rings.

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 07/01/15 07:33 PM

I'm guessing the last true 15x7 trim rings 3461043 were going or gone from the system by 1976 or so, and the 3461022 before that.
In 1975 or 76 I ordered four 3461043 trim rings.
When they came into the dealership, 3 were the true 15x7's and one was a 15 x 6.5.
I never knew this until a couple years later when I went to use them on a car.
I went to the dealer and complained and they repeatedly ordered 3461043 but they all came in 6.5 so I just kept them.
15 x 6.5 rallye rims were on Charger/Daytonas, etc in 1975-6 and vehicles before that so they used the 15 x 6.5 chrome rings ( borrowed from GM Cutlass Supreme...exact same trim ring )
The 7 inch ones were phased out ( scrapped) because Chrysler was using the same part number for the 6.5.

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 07/03/15 06:44 PM

Here re some pics of the rings.. They all look like they measure out 3" depth... What do you guys think? Is it the "real deal"?

Attached picture image.jpg

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 07/03/15 06:44 PM

'Nother....

Posted By: 70gtx440dana

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 07/03/15 07:54 PM

Look like the real deal to me.......big $$$$ in your future.

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 07/03/15 08:01 PM

The printing and the packaging look too new.The only two real trim rings I have seen were in blue and white all paper bags/packaging....but you never know.Measure one out of packaging by holding a ruler next to the outer lip and see what the height is.3" or 2 1/2"

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 07/03/15 08:25 PM

Originally Posted By 44D6PAKCUDA
The printing and the packaging look too new.The only two real trim rings I have seen were in blue and white all paper bags/packaging....but you never know.Measure one out of packaging by holding a ruler next to the outer lip and see what the height is.3" or 2 1/2"

I stuck a tape measure and they look like they are 3" depth.. I'd have to stick a straight edge on it to be 100%...
I picked the cleanest packaged one so I get yall some good pics...the one that was stacked on the top shows a bit more age. The packaging is in great shape because they were stored in the trunk of the car..except for a few nibbles from the rats! eek

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 07/03/15 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By 70gtx440dana
Look like the real deal to me.......big $$$$ in your future.

Hopefully so!!! boogie

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 07/03/15 09:27 PM

The more I look at them the deeper they look!! But like I said the one true test will be to measure them with s straight edge.Nice parts regardless.I wish they were in my trunk!!

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 07/04/15 12:03 AM

There should be one of the two decals on the trim rings that I posted pictures of earlier.
Every trim ring I have ever seen had a decal.
Which decal is on them.
As Jim stated packaging looks to be the newer style.
I still have the wax paper my 6.5's came with, although the 3119 number looks interesting.

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 07/04/15 09:16 PM

Looks like I have the 6.5" version. The date code is too late, and they measure out at about 2-3/4"? I suppose I could be measuring wrong...none the less, I'm sure they're worth something to someone...

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 07/04/15 11:38 PM

Currently with lack of any good reproduction out there your 6.5's are the next best thing to the real deal 7's.
Definately worth money.

Re: 15 X 7 trim rings - 07/05/15 09:21 PM

Yup
© 2024 Moparts Forums