Moparts

1969 Charger Seam Sealer Locations Help Please

Posted By: 69rrgrabber

1969 Charger Seam Sealer Locations Help Please - 06/03/12 03:19 PM

I'm ready to paint a 69 Charger that has been a 3 year project up to now, YES! So the previous owner had the whole car stripped and painted before I bought it and they took off alot of the sealer and didn't replace it all. The interior sealer was all there. I know about the rear corners and the rear valance corners, but I am not sure about the front firewall and also the sides of the firewall under the fenders.

Anyone have a guide or a picture reference?

Thanks,
CAC
Posted By: 70mopes

Re: 1969 Charger Seam Sealer Locations Help Please - 06/04/12 07:30 PM

Cowl to firewall and side panels (where mud shields screw in) were filled with a urethane seal and mated at the factory. it has a foamy consistency - Not the same material as seal you would find on your joints on floors, trunk, etc. which is shown in the factory shop manual. Excess of the urethane type stuff tended to spill out and set. That excess may get knocked off during blasting but the main part of the seal should still be in place. Regardless, Anywhere there is a joint, lap, butt splice whatever, seal it. Engine compartment does not have any seal other than firewall to cowl.
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by moparts - 06/09/12 02:51 PM

Posted By: 69rrgrabber

Re: 1969 Charger Seam Sealer Locations Help Please - 06/09/12 07:29 PM

What can I substitute for the foam sealer? Is seam sealer too thin? I do have some 3M Strip Calk, would that be good to use? Since these areas are hidden from view by the fenders they won't be seen.

I do know about the 4 drainage holes for the vents above the cowl so I will leave those open and fill everything. Who ever did the car last used bondo in places where the sealer or foam stuff should of gone, including in the lower door corner recesses, trunk and valance corners so I is a bit of a challenge figuring it out.
Posted By: SeventySatellite

Re: 1969 Charger Seam Sealer Locations Help Please - 06/09/12 09:13 PM

Looking for something also.
Posted By: SeventySatellite

Re: 1969 Charger Seam Sealer Locations Help Please - 06/14/12 08:49 PM

http://www.eastwood.com/sealant-foam-12-oz.html
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: 1969 Charger Seam Sealer Locations Help Please - 06/15/12 04:18 AM

No that stuff is for houses not cars. Talk to you local auto body supply store they will have the right stuff for the job. There are modern sealants that are designed not to hold water unlike the house stuff.
© 2024 Moparts Forums