Moparts

Fram CA 332 V

Posted By: Grizzly

Fram CA 332 V - 04/09/12 07:06 PM

As we all know these filters are currently NS1.

Fram has a toll-free customer service number so, what the heck: I called and they transferred me over to the Marketing people:

Right off the bat: just super-nice people to talk to!

I asked for the right CA332V filter for my cars and would not accept any of the aftermarket stuff that is available. She really took that as a compliment on their product and said they are listening. YES!!!!

So, here's how to get in touch with them if anyone wants a filter (or 2, or 200):

Fram
Posted By: Stewpar

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/09/12 10:14 PM

So you click on the link, call the #800 and they will sell me one?????? I just called and it was after hours................
Posted By: LYNCHROAD69.5

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/10/12 03:14 AM

Quote:

I asked for the right CA332V filter for my cars and would not accept any of the aftermarket stuff that is available.

did that about 6 months ago....no filter but alot of sympathetic ears.

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/10/12 03:54 AM

Thanks for getting the bug in their ear.

She did let on that since the interest is building already, they would give it serious consideration.

Probably be alot easier to convince them now as opposed to 5 years down the road.
Posted By: kidmopar

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/10/12 04:28 AM

May we ask how much Mr. Fram wants for one?
Posted By: Cuda Cody

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/10/12 04:39 AM

I think the goal here is to apply a lot of interest so they start making them again. They only make them in large numbers so unless there is a lot of need they will not do a run of them. Correct?

Quote:

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/10/12 05:05 AM

You would be 100% right, Cody.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/10/12 12:32 PM

Quote:

When it was avail Frams suggested retail was just over $100 . so IF you could buy from Fram ( you can't btw) it'll be that or more
Posted By: 70gtx440dana

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/10/12 05:29 PM

The people to get on board with this movment are the ones making the repop air cleaners. I am sure they would purchase fairly large qtys. I have not seen an air cleaner & filter combo for sale in months. Just before these filter ran out you could pick up the whole unit for under $350 with the filter. If Mopar Performance is still selling there air cleaner I would think that they could influence Fram!
Posted By: Q5_Ed

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/11/12 02:37 AM

I would buy 2 for my remaining lifetime....
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/11/12 03:16 PM

Quote:

You don't have 1 ?
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/11/12 04:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You don't have 1 ?

two cars?
One for show and one for go?
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/11/12 04:43 PM

Quote:

If Mopar Performance is still selling there air cleaner I would think that they could influence Fram!

Unfortunately Fram is insistant on a 1000 piece minimum. Mopar isn't willing to buy that many of them all in one shot.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/11/12 05:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If Mopar Performance is still selling there air cleaner I would think that they could influence Fram!

Unfortunately Fram is insistant on a 1000 piece minimum. Mopar isn't willing to buy that many of them all in one shot.

What's the current cash outlay for 1000 units quoted to MP/Chrysler if you know?....As I may still be interested in purchasing a run if the "numbers" are better than my last "talks" with Fram reps

Mike
Posted By: A12

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/11/12 05:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If they can't be bothered I'm sure one of the Pacific Rim countries will have their orange FRAMM (yes two "M's" ) or "FRAN" filters for $25 that some vendor here in North America will be selling for $150+ by the boat load, just like the Pacific Rim $1500-$2200 knock-off A12 air filter tray that takes that same oval air filter. Those countries don't give a stink about trademarks, patents, copyrights or anything when there's a Yen/$ to make.

I can't believe that three or four top Mopar vendors can't get together and put a 1,000 piece order together at 250 each vendor..duh. As I said in another thread on this subject K&N doesn't have a problem continuing to make that oval filter and a lot of those are sold because there are no FRAM filters available: duh and duh again. Fram is going to kick themselves when the Pacific Rim knock-off hits the market. Maybe I should send them this link or wait to say "I told you so"
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/11/12 06:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If they can't be bothered I'm sure one of the Pacific Rim countries will have their orange FRAMM (yes two "M's" ) or "FRAN" filters for $25 that some vendor here in North America will be selling for $150+ by the boat load, just like the Pacific Rim $1500-$2200 knock-off A12 air filter tray that takes that same oval air filter. Those countries don't give a stink about trademarks, patents, copyrights or anything when there's a Yen/$ to make.

I can't believe that three or four top Mopar vendors can't get together and put a 1,000 piece order together at 250 each vendor..duh. As I said in another thread on this subject K&N doesn't have a problem continuing to make that oval filter and a lot of those are sold because there are no FRAM filters available: duh and duh again. Fram is going to kick themselves when the Pacific Rim knock-off hits the market. Maybe I should send them this link or wait to say "I told you so"

I've had much the same thoughts.

Dave

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/11/12 10:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mike,
The problem is ( and this is MY opinion ONLY,,,)

I have serious doubts 1000 filters will sell within a reasonable time frame.

That said, A 'reasonable' time frame will vary by individual investor / aka / how long is said investor willing to set on his money before a profit comes into play.

Again , this is just my opinion only. based on sales I sold or others I knwo who also sold said filter.

Sure, I'll admit, I could sell a couple dozen right now. But IMO I think most of the recent inquires are based on fear they'll never return.

And btw, I was told a cost per item to start them up again, but I was asked to keep that info to myself. Remember Frams suggested retail was over $100 - average wholesale dealer costs was in the 50% range

do the math
Posted By: megaparts

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/11/12 11:41 PM

Quote:

Mike,

That said, A 'reasonable' time frame will vary by individual investor / aka / how long is said investor willing to set on his money before a profit comes into play.

Again , this is just my opinion only. based on sales I sold or others I knwo who also sold said filter.

Sure, I'll admit, I could sell a couple dozen right now. But IMO I think most of the recent inquires are based on fear they'll never return.

And btw, I was told a cost per item to start them up again, but I was asked to keep that info to myself. Remember Frams suggested retail was over $100 - average wholesale dealer costs was in the 50% range

do the math

Bill I agree with you on this.

I do not think I would be interested in going in at 250 filters with 3 other vendors.

When these first came out I ordered I think 10 cases of them and it took close to 2 years to sell them all. I had better luck selling the CA305V then the CA332V

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/11/12 11:45 PM

Bill how many did Fram make on the most recent run of the CA322V filter and how long did it take for them to be gone? I'd bet Fram made way more than 1000 of them if that number is the bottom line for even producing them. I'm pretty sure that most of them are being used to filter air right now or stashed away for when a clean filter is needed. They IMO not being flipped to make money. In other words when those first re-run filters are not usable or too dirty where do those purchasers get a replacement? I know that I will buy at least two of them if they are ever available and I only have one car that needs one. I was thinking of putting an Air Grabber system on my '69 GTX but not now that an original looking air filter is not available. To me it's the same as the chrome valve cover breather, I'm sure there were questions on how many one could sell or someone would buy....and I bought SIX of them!!!!!!!!!

I did buy one of the Fram CA332V filters because I never thought they would discontinue them (DUH) so if they ever do how many do you think will be bought to stash away....way more than we all realize. 1000 filters is really only 400 or 500 buyers at two per buyer IMO.

Forget about Fram or Mopar Performance and go have a knock-off made at a tenth of the price and put me down for SIX

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/11/12 11:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mike,

do the math

Bill I agree with you on this.

I do not think I would be interested in going in at 250 filters with 3 other vendors.

When these first came out I ordered I think 10 cases of them and it took close to 2 years to sell them all. I had better luck selling the CA305V then the CA332V

How many were in a case?
Posted By: mccannix

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/11/12 11:58 PM

original run CA332's had 6 in a case...I assume CA332V did also

Attached picture 7161095-varwwwclientsclient1web2tmpphpNBTrYi.jpg

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/12/12 12:01 AM

The CA305V sells for around $20 - $30 bucks and you can get them at most national auto part chains so that's not a huge investment. http://www.filterzoneusa.com/fram-ca305v-round-plastisol-air-filter/ I have four of them sitting on the shelf now. If Fram offered 1000 of the CA332V right now they would be gone in a week no problem. THERE ARE WAY MORE THAN 1000 MOPARS OUT THERE THAT USE THAT FILTER. The reason they didn't sell the first time quickly was that most people never thought they were going to stop making them!

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/12/12 12:18 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CA332V-69-70-71-...ies&vxp=mtr
Posted By: mccannix

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/12/12 12:24 AM

I agree, they would be gone in a week.....today
The problem is Fram did re-do a 1000 of them, actually more, and they weren't gone in a week , not even a year.
They deem something like that a "slow moving product" and the decision is made early that because of that, they wont be offered again after stock is depleted or near depletion.
Mopar hobbyists were procrastinators when it came to buying them.. saying they would have, should have, but never wanted to until it was too late.

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/12/12 01:37 AM

332Vs were shipped in a case / box of 3 filters per box

Edit,
I just ck'd . Total I sold was right at 100 , this was spread over nearly 7 years
My cost at the last stock ( 2010 ) was right at $50 each.

And this has been hashed out off an on for the last year, and I will go on record to say-

Can 500 be sold ? MAYBE/ probably

can 1000 be sold ? doubt it

would I buy 250 of them ? absolutely not

Again I hope I'm wrong but I think they are done
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/12/12 01:45 AM

a lot of people may say they'll buy from the "new" batch, but when it comes down to spending $100+ for a throw away paper filter the rubber won't hit the road. i would like some paper filters but would never give that kind of money for something that will end up hitting the trash can. an offshore alternative is the only way "if" they're priced correctly.
Posted By: TONY_DAGOSTINO

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/12/12 03:54 AM

there is a repo on the way

from what im told in the next month or 2 will be available

dont know pricing yet

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/12/12 05:51 AM

Now that's great news, thanks Tony!

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/12/12 01:30 PM

Quote:

a lot of people may say they'll buy from the "new" batch, but when it comes down to spending $100+ for a throw away paper filter the rubber won't hit the road. i would like some paper filters but would never give that kind of money for something that will end up hitting the trash can. an offshore alternative is the only way "if" they're priced correctly.

Ever clean a reuseable air filter I'll gladly pay the extra money not to

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/12/12 03:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have a hard time believing that most people that own cars that use those filters could give a rats azz about spending another $100.00. We are talking about the rarest multi carbed and fresh air mopars made; I don't see the logic; spend $20k buying a project car, $80k restoring it, $40k on a new shop to put it in, $25k on tools, $5k on memorabilia and garage art, $70k on a new truck and car trailer to take it to the shows and races that are too far to drive through, but $100.00 for an air filter?? no fricken' way!!

Dave
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/12/12 03:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

done it a bunch. no big deal.
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/12/12 03:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have done it a lot also, not a big deal, but i dont like the look. I like the look of the OEM style. Pluss for a dailey driver in a more harsh environment than a track, dust and dirt really pack into those KN filters. The paper ones dont seem to pack up as badly cause theres no oil to attact the fine dust.

kasey

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/12/12 03:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have a hard time believing that most people that own cars that use those filters could give a rats azz about spending another $100.00. We are talking about the rarest multi carbed and fresh air mopars made; I don't see the logic; spend $20k buying a project car, $80k restoring it, $40k on a new shop to put it in, $25k on tools, $5k on memorabilia and garage art, $70k on a new truck and car trailer to take it to the shows and races that are too far to drive through, but $100.00 for an air filter?? no fricken' way!!

Dave

Don't forget there are many more 4 bbl cars built than there were 6 pack and hemi cars. Then the number of guys that put a 6 pk on their other engines for the wow factor.

There are MORE tightwads that need that filter than rich guys like yourself ...

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/12/12 03:56 PM

Quote:

there is a repo on the way

from what im told in the next month or 2 will be available

dont know pricing yet

That's GREAT news! Thank you for the info Tony Please keep us updated

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/12/12 04:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I've probably cleaned and oiled more reuseable air filters in the last 40-years than just about anyone on this board (Dave can cover me on this one ) AND I STILL HATE DOING IT!!!

They make reuseable oil filters too....don't use those either

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/12/12 04:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dave

Don't forget there are many more 4 bbl cars built than there were 6 pack and hemi cars. Then the number of guys that put a 6 pk on their other engines for the wow factor.

I was referring to the resto crowd that would use these for their original cars that need these filters. I ASSuMed that the guys just running a 6 pack on in their Belvedere's will be happy with the K&N.....although it should be noted that they paid $2500 for the "6 pack visual" so they can't be THAT squeeky!

Rich? I wouldn't say so; my recent divorce would seem to have taken care of that!

Dave

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/12/12 04:38 PM

Quote:

I've probably cleaned and oiled more reuseable air filters in the last 40-years than just about anyone on this board (Dave can cover me on this one ) AND I STILL HATE DOING IT!!!

Yep, pretty sure he has!

Dave
Posted By: B_Body_Bob

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/12/12 05:47 PM

Quote:

Dave

That may be the way it works in your world, but in mine it's a fight to spend any money on the damned car and what gets done is done as inexpensively as possible. And yeah it should have one of those filters on it but as long as they cost substantially more than a K&N, it won't.

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/12/12 06:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Dave

That may be the way it works in your world, but in mine it's a fight to spend any money on the damned car and what gets done is done as inexpensively as possible. And yeah it should have one of those filters on it but as long as they cost substantially more than a K&N, it won't.

Well Bob, my comment was tongue in cheek and was meant as a bit of a humorous commentary on how much time, effort and money many put into this hobby. I know it's tough for many of us right now and I suspect that the reality is that most people who are on a shoestring budget aren't the ones in the market for a repop original style filter for their Hemi E-body. For many, it seems the K&N is a valid choice.

Dave

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/12/12 06:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Dave

I thought that even back in the day they were way more expensive (2x the price) than the unsilenced CA305V filter and were only made by one other company (Purolator??) besides Fram. Then the filters were $40 - $50 for a long time and when those ran out along came the Fram remake again and they were selling for $60 - $80 until they ran out and NOW you can't find one so now they are like the ebay link above If the repo's are between $50-$80 then that would seem like the going price if they were still being made by FRAM to this day. Price of gas "back in the day" when these filters came stock on the cars have changed too can't expect a $20 back in the day filer to cost $20 today.....just saying.

I had that filter on my air grabber road runner back in '69 and thought the price of a replacement air filter was outrages then, should have bought a couple of cases, 20/20 hind sight EH

Attached picture 7162087-My69roadrunnercirca1969.jpg
Posted By: moparmike1

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/12/12 06:33 PM

Quote:

Mopar hobbyists were procrastinators when it came to buying them.. saying they would have, should have, but never wanted to until it was too late.

This is what I kept thinking of when the thread from last year was building.

For Bill Allphin to have only sold 100 in seven years is pretty sad (not because of Bill but the lack of interest from the market) when he could probably sell 100 in less than a year now is a big difference in demand.

I completely understand those that are working within a budget but we're talking about a filter for a setup that is rarely found for less than $1,000 used, i.e. carbs, linkage, intake, air cleaner assembly. To complain about a filter for $100 to $200 really doesn't make sense at that point. This is in the context of adding the setup to a car that didn't come with one originally.

For those that have a car that came with this filter originally but wouldn't buy it because of the price, I 100% agree with Dave on this point. For what everything else costs to do with such a car, excluding the garage art, trailer, truck to haul trailer, etc., this filter's price is relatively minor.

I hope for those that do want to buy one that Tony D. is right and there is a reproduction coming.

Mike.

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/12/12 06:55 PM

Quote:

I had that filter on my air grabber road runner back in '69

It's all worth while since it got you to post that photo again

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/12/12 07:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I had that filter on my air grabber road runner back in '69

It's all worth while since it got you to post that photo again

Bob you sly dog
Posted By: Ron69rr

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/12/12 07:27 PM

The deal is this;

You pay upwards of a 1000 for the setup but to spend 100 for a filter that you will have to replace over and over(10 filters 1000 if you drive it all the time) when the 6 pk setup you should only have to buy one time. I would go cheap also.
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/12/12 07:30 PM

If memory servers me correctly, which it often times doesn't, I recall that people were complaining about the "new" CA322V filter not being "Correct".
Maybe someone with a better memory can shed some light on the subject.

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/12/12 07:41 PM

There's a thread on the various versions of the filter over on the A12 forums. http://a12mopar.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1333584692

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/12/12 08:28 PM

Quote:

There's a thread on the various versions of the filter over on the A12 forums. http://a12mopar.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1333584692

Bob if I had to pick one for performance I'd bet the bottom left air filter CA332 in the last photo would flow the most of all of those paper filters there. The originals were really restricted by the round hole mesh. And now I think I know what the V is for; "Very restricted" or "Velocity restriction" and not Vintage series like I thought

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/12/12 08:50 PM

Quote:

The deal is this;

You pay upwards of a 1000 for the setup but to spend 100 for a filter that you will have to replace over and over(10 filters 1000 if you drive it all the time) when the 6 pk setup you should only have to buy one time. I would go cheap also.

I have no idea what conditions you drive in but in my daily driver, I'll put four filters in over the course of 200,000 miles and I over maintain so the filter isn't really due to be changed. Changing filters ten times?

As far as options, what's out there? K&N and then what? Going cheap is fine, but if you want a correct appearing filter, it's not cheap now.

Mike.
Posted By: HPMike

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/12/12 08:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The deal is this;

I have no idea what conditions you drive in but in my daily driver, I'll put four filters in over the course of 200,000 miles and I over maintain so the filter isn't really due to be changed. Changing filters ten times?

As far as options, what's out there? K&N and then what? Going cheap is fine, but if you want a correct appearing filter, it's not cheap now.

Mike.

I was thinking the same thing..200K on my Honda and I probably put 3 or 4 filters in it. In MOST cases it will be the only filter you will ever buy for a collector/hobby style vehicle.

I dont know if its mentioned, and this might add to the cost, but this is what I do. I have one of the diamond mesh style ones(that I got real cheap) that I use for driving and save the round one for the shows/cruises...

MB
Posted By: Ron69rr

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/12/12 08:57 PM

You guys live in the plush green north. Down here in south Texas it is a dust bowl most of the time.

I may have exaggerated on the number of changes but it was for a point. Filters you change carbs, intake, air cleaner stays the same.

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/12/12 09:06 PM

Quote:

You guys live in the plush green north. Down here in south Texas it is a dust bowl most of the time.

I may have exaggerated on the number of changes but it was for a point. Filters you change carbs, intake, air cleaner stays the same.

Four to six months of snow or dust all year! I guess every area has its pitfalls.

Like I said, hopefully the filters get reproduced.

Mike.

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/12/12 10:08 PM

Hope we get to see both the "punched hole" and the "expanded mesh" style.

Heck, even if K and N switched to a white pleated foam that would be decent. At least it would look half-right from a distance.

Posted By: *440-6BBL*

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/14/12 02:25 AM

I'll be looking forward to these new reproductions, if they look good and are priced right, I'll buy a few......

I sure hope they get it right

It will be interesting to see the Moparts crowd 'critique' them:

The Orange rubber isn't the right shade,
The air filter paper element is too thin or thick,
The holes in the screen are not the right shape,
It's not the right size,

Bla Bla Bla.....
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/14/12 02:35 AM

That's a cool picture!

Attached picture 7164034-FramfiltersOldestatbottom.jpg
Posted By: hemi71x

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/14/12 02:41 AM

Scott.
You own all of them, or did you pull that picture off the internet, somewhere?

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/14/12 02:57 AM

No, not my pic but yes, I've had most, if not all of them at one time or another, there were a lot of small variables even between the "generic" mesh versions. I thing FRAM just went with whomever the low bidder was in terms of raw materials (screen, rubber, colorants, etc.) when they put runs together over the years.

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/14/12 03:29 AM

Does that photo cover everything used right from day 1 to the present?

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/14/12 03:45 AM

No, not all of them, but pretty close.
Posted By: xs29j8

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/14/12 01:38 PM

Attached picture 7164339-100_6428.JPG

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/14/12 01:40 PM

Attached picture 7164343-100_6429.JPG
Posted By: PAINT IT BLACK

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/16/12 04:56 PM

I was told the coming repops were going to retail for $100. I hope they are nice.

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 04/16/12 07:26 PM

Quote:

I was told the coming repops were going to retail for $100. I hope they are nice.

I better put my NOS and V repops up on ebarf now before the new repops come out ...

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 05/10/12 07:25 PM

Was talking with a Viper firned and he knows I have some six pack cars so he says "Do you want some Six Pack air filters?" He tells me about a bunch of Hemi and Six pack cars he had when he was younger and that he sold them all, but found a bunch of six pack air cleaners. He said they're all new originals and one is from Mopar. Told me to make him an offer as he's not in to the old muscle cars any more.

What's a "Fair" price to give him for the air cleaners? He's a friend so I want to be fair, but not over pay.

And if anyone needs one I will be selling them for exactly what I pay. I only need two for my cars.

Thanks!
Posted By: LYNCHROAD69.5

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 05/10/12 08:01 PM

Quote:

Was talking with a Viper firned and he knows I have some six pack cars so he says "Do you want some Six Pack air filters?" He tells me about a bunch of Hemi and Six pack cars he had when he was younger and that he sold them all, but found a bunch of six pack air cleaners. He said they're all new originals and one is from Mopar. Told me to make him an offer as he's not in to the old muscle cars any more.

What's a "Fair" price to give him for the air cleaners? He's a friend so I want to be fair, but not over pay.

And if anyone needs one I will be selling them for exactly what I pay. I only need two for my cars.

Thanks!

Cody, I would say between $100 and $150 a piece (depends on how good a friend he is)...the original one from Mopar is worth more....please include me on your list of needing one!
Posted By: 3406pac

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 05/11/12 05:41 AM

Seems like I bought a couple in the last month or so off Ebag for $80-100 each.
Not sure what P/N they were but they were fram ovals.
So fair depends on how much you are willing to pay.

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 05/11/12 05:59 AM

Looks like this needs to be moved to the "WIW" column below?
Posted By: NicksGarage

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 06/12/12 06:00 PM

Guys, I want to add some oval air filter information to my Air Cleaner Identification page but it's obvious that there is no definitive answer as to what is factory or not. How will the people reproducing the filters know? And are there variations between 1969 and 1972 that make it impossible to use one reproduction filter for all those applications?

Here's another thread on the filters.

An air filter quiz, of all things....

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 06/12/12 07:38 PM

If they make it just like the CA332V (#1) then they will sell just fine.

Dave

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 06/13/12 12:44 AM

Does anyone know? What is the status of replacement filters anytime soon?

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 06/13/12 12:50 AM

My guess it's never going to happen.
Just rumors to fuel the fire.

Attached picture 7247824-CrystalBall.jpg
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 06/13/12 03:06 AM

Quote:

My guess it's never going to happen.
Just rumors to fuel the fire.

I got that same crystal ball on a Harbor Freight special and it flat doesn't work.
Posted By: wmwalden

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 06/14/12 02:45 PM

Actually I just bought one. New in the box. For $85.00 bucks.
I called all of my local auto parts stores. I mean the little guys, not the national stores. And found ONE. They told me they have had it for years. Try calling around, your mom and pop auto parts stores, you may still find one if you look.

Bill
Posted By: Mopar_Mudder

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 11/15/12 07:11 PM

Has anymore came of this repop filter?
Posted By: HEMIDOG 70

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 11/16/12 12:09 AM

I thought Tony's parts had the scoop on them. Haven't heard anything for a long time.

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 11/16/12 01:36 AM

Quote:

I thought Tony's parts had the scoop on them. Haven't heard anything for a long time.

Supposed to be: "By the end of the year" ?
If I were a 'gambling man' and were sitting on 5 or 6 , I'd sure sell them NOW!

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 11/16/12 02:18 AM

Quote:

Well then, you could be a "gambling man" the other way, that Fram isn't going to be bringing them back, then they will be worth whatever one can get for them.

My is they are done with them.
You won't be seeing any more of them.

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 11/16/12 02:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Well then, you could be a "gambling man" the other way, that Fram isn't going to be bringing them back, then they will be worth whatever one can get for them.

My is they are done with them.
You won't be seeing any more of them.

Jim , Is that a wager?

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 11/16/12 02:41 AM

I'm sitting on one of them, out in the garage.
Been seeing them sell in the $275.00 - $325.00 lately on eBay.
So maybe the people that are needing them, wanting them, are getting them, before the prices get even higher.
Who knows.
Posted By: HEMIDOG 70

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 11/16/12 02:46 AM

I have two spares a ca 332 with black rubber and diamond shaped mesh and a ca332v orange rubber with the punched holes. I may sell the one with the black rubber but not the orange one.
Posted By: sbcjd

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 11/16/12 03:20 AM

I recently provided a Fram employee with production numbers of cars that use the oval air cleaner. The box will probably not say Fram but hopefully they will be available after the first of the year.

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 11/16/12 04:36 AM

Quote:

I recently provided a Fram employee with production numbers of cars that use the oval air cleaner. The box will probably not say Fram but hopefully they will be available after the first of the year.

Posted By: 67R/T4speeder

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/20/13 08:08 PM

Any new new's on availabilty of these filter's?

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/20/13 10:12 PM

Quote:

I'm sitting on one of them, out in the garage.
Been seeing them sell in the $275.00 - $325.00 lately on eBay.
So maybe the people that are needing them, wanting them, are getting them, before the prices get even higher.
Who knows.

Holy cow , here is an orange with chicken wire ... people are getting desperate , I might have to put one up to see where it goes ???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Fram-CA3...ies&vxp=mtr

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/20/13 10:36 PM

Who would've guessed that the most valuable Mopar part I have in my collection is my spare air filters?

Dave

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/20/13 10:44 PM

Sold mine for $380.00 on eBay 5 or 6 weeks ago.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/21/13 12:27 AM

Like this !!

Attached picture 7596519-Picture1007.jpg

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/21/13 12:29 AM

Just wasted another one !!

Attached picture 7596522-Picture318.jpg

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/21/13 01:06 AM

http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_from=R40...ete=1&rt=nc

Wow:
Take a look at the eBay completed listing page for these Fram CA332V air filter elements.
One went for $404.00
Posted By: KillerCuda

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/21/13 02:26 AM

Quote:

Wow:
Take a look at the eBay completed listing page for these Fram CA332V air filter elements.
One went for $404.00

wow! hmm, neat feature, never used the 'complete listings' before, i like that.....

yeah, i have been looking for one for over a year, ended up buying a decent used original for $250. sure would be neat if the repops happened......

Attached picture 7596667-IMG_0340.jpg
Posted By: pinkduster

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/21/13 02:39 AM

Wow, maybe I should take mine off the car and put it in a glass display case and run the K&N that was on the car when I bought it. ...

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/21/13 02:50 AM

http://frame.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?C...861.m1423.l3175
There's four on eBay this week.
Guess I'll watch them, and see what these sell for.
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/21/13 03:08 AM

So WHAT is the bottom line here ... ?

What is the price Fram wants on 1000 units ? ...... and is there a "shelf life" on these filters? ... I heard that the pores in the element close-up over a period of time.

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/21/13 03:15 AM

Quote:

So WHAT is the bottom line here ... ?

What is the price Fram wants on 1000 units ? ...... and is there a "shelf life" on these filters? ... I heard that the pores in the element close-up over a period of time.

Really.....so will the car not start when that happens

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/21/13 03:18 AM

I am just asking .....and this is a so-I-heard ...

PORES close up ... then the A/F mixture goes fat.

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/21/13 03:21 AM

Quote:

I am just asking .....and this is a so-I-heard ...

PORES close up ... then the A/F mixture goes fat.

Wow then I guess an old oil filter could cause an even bigger problem with oil flow as we all know oil is thicker than air

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/21/13 03:28 AM

WISEguy ......

So WHAT are the cost #'s ?

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/21/13 04:00 AM

Quote:

WISEguy ......

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/21/13 06:39 AM

Quote:

WISEguy ......

i last heard, according to fram, a 1000 piece order minimum for retooling, (i believe the original stuff from the CA332V were destroyed, or something of the such. either way, new tooling is required.) @ $50 a piece. so, a $50,000 dollar nut to crack to get them made. quite an investment. but, you would think if several parts houses/companies went in on it together, and agreed on maybe a minimum price, you might be able to pull it off......

as far as old filters closing up, i have an original 70's piece i acquired recently, and the hemi ran just fine breathing through it. but i also ultrasonically cleaned it as well..............
Posted By: Seth_Jones

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/21/13 02:45 PM

I'll have a couple repops at the Indy swap if anybody is looking .
Posted By: 67R/T4speeder

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/21/13 04:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

WISEguy ......

i last heard, according to fram, a 1000 piece order minimum for retooling, (i believe the original stuff from the CA332V were destroyed, or something of the such. either way, new tooling is required.) @ $50 a piece. so, a $50,000 dollar nut to crack to get them made. quite an investment. but, you would think if several parts houses/companies went in on it together, and agreed on maybe a minimum price, you might be able to pull it off......

I didnt realize it was that complicated, but makes sense now.
Did they discontinue repops?

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/21/13 04:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

WISEguy ......

I didnt realize it was that complicated, but makes sense now.
Did they discontinue repops?

There is no RETOOLING cost, Fram has had the tooling and the tooling has been paid for. The last production run by Fram was only five or six years ago for the last batch IIRC. That's just a basic fee for setting things up and scheduling the production...don't know why it would be a fee so much higher than starting from scratch??????

What's going to happen is the repo's are coming and no one will ever buy a Fram manufacture air filter and I wouldn't blame anyone for doing that seeing how Fram is ignoring the demand at the moment. Someone at Fram marketing should realize how things like this make and break a manufacturer's reputation and product image.

I avoid buying anything made by FRAM even more than ever because of this.......and the fact that their oil filters suck

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/21/13 06:10 PM

Quote:

I'll have a couple repops at the Indy swap if anybody is looking .

You say "repops", as in "NEW REPOPS"? or the last FRAM production run/repop units?.....

Mike
Posted By: Seth_Jones

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/21/13 07:40 PM

Last run of Frams.
Posted By: drew72

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/21/13 11:05 PM

repo's are coming and no one will ever buy a Fram manufacture air filter and I wouldn't blame anyone for doing that seeing how Fram is ignoring the demand at the moment. Someone at Fram marketing should realize how things like this make and break a manufacturer's reputation and product image.

I avoid buying anything made by FRAM even more than ever because of this.......and the fact that their oil filters suck

You do realize how small the demand actually is don't you? Sure all of us Mopar nuts want one or two, but when you see how small of a market that really is, it makes very little sense to tool up for a run like this. Though I also wish they would.
Posted By: hemi_rtdave

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/21/13 11:17 PM

Forgive my ignorance. But if reproductions have been made once already, why would anyone have to "tool up" to make another run??

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/21/13 11:20 PM

Quote:

Forgive my ignorance. But if reproductions have been made once already, why would anyone have to "tool up" to make another run??

EXACTLY!

Quote:

There is no RETOOLING cost, Fram has had the tooling and the tooling has been paid for. The last production run by Fram was only five or six years ago for the last batch IIRC.

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/21/13 11:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

EXACTLY!

There is no RETOOLING cost, Fram has had the tooling and the tooling has been paid for. The last production run by Fram was only five or six years ago for the last batch IIRC.

I'm employed in mass production (as a Millwright) you'd be surprised how quick Management is in making stupid decisions on sh1t-canning production tooling worth tens to hundreds of thousand of dollars for scrap $$$ when an item line is discontinued by a vendor/manufacturer,...only to have to re-invest in re-tooling at a later date

Mike
Posted By: drew72

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/22/13 12:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

EXACTLY!

Quote:

My point was not the cost of making tooling, but you still have to set the assembly line to manufacture. And that quite likely means removing another product from assembly while making this one.
Posted By: QuickBpBp

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/22/13 02:17 AM

Glad I picked up one at the local flea market for $75 new in box...... I have 3 of the chicken mesh ones in orange and 2 in black they are even getting good $$ for those...

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/22/13 03:15 AM

Quote:

My point was not the cost of making tooling, but you still have to set the assembly line to manufacture. And that quite likely means removing another product from assembly while making this one.

I am sure that they have many different "lines" .... some that do 5-10,000 units per day .... this one here would probably do this-typea-run in a couple of days

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/22/13 03:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

EXACTLY!

Quote:

Understand but one of the Pacific Rim manufactures will have one here shortly and there will be no need for Fram to do anything anyway. Just like the chrome valve cover breathers for the '68 and '69 models that are now available there's no reason to look for a good original or to get an old worn original re-chromed....80+K '69 road runners and then there's the GTX, R/T, Super Bee, etc, that used that filter (I know it was a small number that had the air grabber/ramcharger but there are also people that want to add that system, like me).....someone is going to make a buck or two and it won't be Fram.

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/22/13 04:19 PM

I better throw a few on the bag then this weekend before the cheap chinese junk repop flood the market

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/22/13 04:52 PM

Quote:

Understand but one of the Pacific Rim manufactures will have one here shortly and there will be no need for Fram to do anything anyway. Just like the chrome valve cover breathers for the '68 and '69 models that are now available there's no reason to look for a good original or to get an old worn original re-chromed....80+K '69 road runners and then there's the GTX, R/T, Super Bee, etc, that used that filter (I know it was a small number that had the air grabber/ramcharger but there are also people that want to add that system, like me).....someone is going to make a buck or two and it won't be Fram.

Don't forget EVERY six pack car which makes the market alot bigger. As far as the breathers go put one next to a original one and they are easy to spot. I bought one for my perfect 68 chrome valve covers and it sticks out like a sore thumb due to the fact that it's chrome is thin and tinny looking. I bought a nice factory one after seeing how bad it looked against the original factory chrome valve covers. So just cause something is made doesn't necessarily mean it will be the same quality but then again there are alot of people who are happy with Chinese muscle cars....

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/22/13 05:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Don't forget EVERY six pack car which makes the market alot bigger. As far as the breathers go put one next to a original one and they are easy to spot. I bought one for my perfect 68 chrome valve covers and it sticks out like a sore thumb due to the fact that it's chrome is thin and tinny looking. I bought a nice factory one after seeing how bad it looked against the original factory chrome valve covers. So just cause something is made doesn't necessarily mean it will be the same quality but then again there are alot of people who are happy with Chinese muscle cars....

Yes, isn't that the truth on the happy with low quality, and take a closer look at the "OIL" on breather versus the hose connection....but then when it's the only thing easily available

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/22/13 06:00 PM

johnRR....shoot me a number for one of those filters before you fall to the "BAG" temptation!

as for the Oil breather/caps. I put a perfect NOS piece on my GTX about 6 months before the car was swiped.

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/23/13 12:09 AM

I have been following this posting from the beginning, as i had one of these Fram CA332V air filter elements, that i sold on eBay, awhile back.

What i am curious about is other people that have posted to this thread that a China reopop air filter is due to be produced, and Fram won't even listen, unless 1000 of them are pre ordered, or something like that.

What i wan't to know is, how do you know this?
Do you work for Fram?
What kind of "connections" do you have with Fram anyway?
Do you actually know a big shot decision maker within the Fram corporation?
Then where is all this heresay about a China reproduction one coming from?
Nothing but rumors, that nobody can actually put any truth too.
Just my on the subject.

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/23/13 12:21 AM

Quote:

I have been following this posting from the beginning, as i had one of these Fram CA332V air filter elements, that i sold on eBay, awhile back.

What i am curious about is other people that have posted to this thread that a China reopop air filter is due to be produced, and Fram won't even listen, unless 1000 of them are pre ordered, or something like that.

Do you work for Fram?
Just my on the subject.

Tony said: (Tony did the valve cover breathers too)

TONY_DAGOSTINO
super gas

Reged: Jan 19 2003
Loc: DELAWARE

Re: Fram CA 332 V [Re: lewtot184]
#7161419 - Wed Apr 11 2012 10:54 PM

there is a repo on the way from what im told in the next month or 2 will be available

dont know pricing yet

--------------------

(That was almost a year ago....a little more than 2-months eh? )
Posted By: ek3

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/23/13 12:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Do you work for Fram?
Just my on the subject.

Tony said: (Tony did the valve cover breathers too)

TONY_DAGOSTINO
super gas

Reged: Jan 19 2003
Loc: DELAWARE

Re: Fram CA 332 V [Re: lewtot184]
#7161419 - Wed Apr 11 2012 10:54 PM

there is a repo on the way from what im told in the next month or 2 will be available

dont know pricing yet

--------------------

(That was almost a year ago....a little more than 2-months eh? )

mabe they want to do it like gasoline, run the price past insanity, then tell us how lucky we are its coming down... a full 10 or 20 % ! from the NEW all time hi. hope k-n keeps making one.

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/23/13 01:09 AM

Quote:

Do you work for Fram?
Just my on the subject.

there are several threads in this forum covering this topic. i have heard/read from several different sources, that they talked to fram directly about this filter, and 1000 was the minimum, @ $50 piece. whether they did? well, i can't promise you that. but i can promise multiple people had the same story about talking with fram according to my memory. (i have not searched for the other threads to quote for you, sorry. but, you may search, and may find some more info as well)
i do not know or have any facts about the repops, other than one was supposed to be here, but alas, still waiting. hope this helps a little....

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 02/23/13 07:48 AM

Might be a good time for some trading… I think I will post an Ad in the for trade section tomorrow evening…

Attached picture 7599676-CA332_Tradin.jpg

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/16/13 07:59 PM

I heard from Dave at Roseville that the CA332V will be shipping in the next week or so.

Is this the correct air filter for both a 1970 Challenger T/A and a 1969 Hemi GTX with fresh air hood?

THANKS in advance.
Posted By: 72ls5fla

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/16/13 09:02 PM

JUST an FYI --

Dave posted on the CC.com board - filters are in.
they are on his website - pricing about $142.0 I think.

They look really nice - very nice workmanship

Bill
Posted By: vette1986

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/16/13 11:10 PM

what is the link to that website? thanks
Posted By: flypaper

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/16/13 11:12 PM

Quote:

what is the link to that website? thanks

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...874#Post7627894

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/17/13 12:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

EXACTLY!

Quote:

Hey FRAM ITYS

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/17/13 12:07 AM

The Fram production re-run filters sold for way less than that (almost half and not that I care now, this is a fair price now for this new repro IMO ) and Fram wass thinking they couldn't make money making another production run of them........someone at Fram has their head in a place where the sun doesn't shine.

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/17/13 12:51 AM

http://www.rosevillemoparts.com/product_...roducts_id/7913

takes you right there ..

i will be buying a couple just to have.

Bill
Posted By: 70runner

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/17/13 01:22 AM

looks nice in the pic...anyone lay their hands on one to do a comp with an original or Fram repro?

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/17/13 02:18 AM

Might be me but from the picture it looks as if the metal band is flat,not punched from the inside like the original.

Attached picture 7628677-Picture1007.jpg

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/17/13 02:42 AM

Quote:

Might be me but from the picture it looks as if the metal band is flat,not punched from the inside like the original.

I agree 100%, how were the Fram filters punched?

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/17/13 03:27 AM

I'm just glad them re-did them. Maybe everyone sending them emails really worked.

Perfect or not, they look way better than the alternatives at a price that isn't going to break the bank. I'm sure there will still be NOS ones for the people who want to spend the extra money.

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/17/13 03:34 AM

Would also be interested in the label on the box that they blanked out.

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/17/13 03:35 AM

Quote:

I'm just glad them re-did them. Maybe everyone sending them emails really worked.

Perfect or not, they look way better than the alternatives at a price that isn't going to break the bank. I'm sure there will still be NOS ones for the people who want to spend the extra money.

ARE THEY MADE BY FRAM????

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/17/13 03:39 AM

That's a good question, I'm not sure.

Does anyone know if the CA 332 is correct for both the Challenger T/A and a 69 Hemi GTX (N96)?

Quote:

Quote:

ARE THEY MADE BY FRAM????

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/17/13 04:15 AM

I think this is a non-Fram made filter but the jury is still out on that................and you know what I DON'T CARE WHERE IT'S MADE, JUST THANKFUL SOMEONE STEPPED UP AND HAD THEM MADE, GOOD JOB GUYS!
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/17/13 04:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree 100%, how were the Fram filters punched?

The Fram CA332V was punched from the inside similar to what Bill posted, but the edges of the holes are not as pronounced.

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/17/13 12:22 PM

I don't think they look good at all! The holes are too big leading to the remaining aluminum to be too narrow. I'm glad I have a couple of new filters and a used mesh.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/17/13 05:06 PM

Quote:

I can't believe someone went to the effort to repro this and didn't even punch the holes like original. And the hole spacing is off too.

The hole mesh looks off the shelf.

Problem is, if there was another project in the works for a more correct repro it will probably stop now that these are out.

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/17/13 05:32 PM

Well,that didn't take long and it was certainly worth the wait!

Thanks to everyone who stayed positive, called, emailed and just generally helped keep the ball rolling after I started this thread.

The Ebay Creeps are going back under their rock. (Zero listings. )
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/17/13 06:58 PM

I will never understand why we can not duplicate parts that were made 40-50 years ago. The first question manufacturers need to ask themselves is "does it look just like the original?" If the answer is NO then they need to go back and try again.

I'm glad I can go buy a new air filter but for a buck and a half I want it to look like I just spent a thousand on a NOS one.

So now everyone will see the difference and say "my so and so isn't that bad" and not buy one. Then because the manufacturer F'ed it up sales will be poor and they will say its not worth doing in the future and everybody looses.

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/17/13 07:07 PM

I'm sure once someone figures out the covered label you'll find them for less the current listed price.I doubt they will be available from one source only.

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/17/13 07:23 PM

Tom, I think the short answer is infringement on Chrysler copyright or some such thing.

Just repeating what I've heard on Moparts and other sources that things can't be made exact or else you have some explaining to do. There has to be some slight difference so you can call it your own.

I'm sure not complaining, it's better than the 332V.

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/17/13 08:01 PM

Quote:

Tom, I think the short answer is infringement on Chrysler copyright or some such thing.

Just repeating what I've heard on Moparts and other sources that things can't be made exact or else you have some explaining to do. There has to be some slight difference so you can call it your own.

I'm sure not complaining, it's better than the 332V.

Ok, so does this mean you'll buy one of these new filters right now or wait until this supply is practically gone then start another thread?

Back on April 12, I made the following post:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what I kept thinking of when the thread from last year was building.

For Bill Allphin to have only sold 100 in seven years is pretty sad (not because of Bill but the lack of interest from the market) when he could probably sell 100 in less than a year now is a big difference in demand.

I completely understand those that are working within a budget but we're talking about a filter for a setup that is rarely found for less than $1,000 used, i.e. carbs, linkage, intake, air cleaner assembly. To complain about a filter for $100 to $200 really doesn't make sense at that point. This is in the context of adding the setup to a car that didn't come with one originally.

For those that have a car that came with this filter originally but wouldn't buy it because of the price, I 100% agree with Dave on this point. For what everything else costs to do with such a car, excluding the garage art, trailer, truck to haul trailer, etc., this filter's price is relatively minor.

I hope for those that do want to buy one that Tony D. is right and there is a reproduction coming.

Mike.

Before knocking the CA332V, once you have one of these new filters, post some close up pictures of it so everyone can see it in detail.

Mike.
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 03/17/13 09:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dave

A lot of the air grabber 4 bbl cars, 69-71 Hemi's and 3x2 car's use them. How many are street driven enough where the filter will ever need replaced? I put less than 200 miles on my car in 7 years and it looks like new. I don't think I'll ever need another one at that price. I might buy a spare if the repro's are around $50 or so. Even at around $50, I'd still feel like someone is trying to get deep into my pocket instead of trying to help with a good repro piece!

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 03/17/13 09:46 PM

My

1) You need an air filter element if you are going to drive your car.
2) K&N is NOT an option.
3) When I am driving my car, I don't care if the filter is orange, black, perforated, or mesh as long as it adequately removes particulate.
4) I would rather use a filter element I can get a replacement for rather than an OEM 'correct' element that I have to quit eating for a month to buy.
5) If it is that important to have an OEM 'correct' element, put one on for shows and then put it back in the box when you put the 'disposable' one on for the ride home.

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 03/17/13 10:48 PM

So now, the days of the $400.00 CA332V's on eBay are over?
Glad i cashed in, and sold the one that i had, back in December.

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 03/17/13 11:42 PM

Im not thrilled with the price but would live with it if the piece looked good. In the only picture Ive seen it may as well be a K&N because I wont use it.

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 03/18/13 01:56 AM

Quote:

Wonder what I can get for two O.E.M. originals in Chrysler boxes ?

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/18/13 04:11 AM

Quote:

Does anyone know if the CA 332 is correct for both the Challenger T/A and a 69 Hemi GTX (N96)?

YES

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/18/13 04:12 AM

THANK You sir!

Quote:

Quote:

YES

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 03/18/13 04:13 AM

Quote:

What's confusing is what people paid for a V or the chicken wire filter , but bid less on an actual FRAM ...

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/18/13 04:17 AM

Quote:

http://www.rosevillemoparts.com/product_...roducts_id/7913

takes you right there ..

i will be buying a couple just to have.

Bill

not even close ...

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/19/13 03:04 AM

they may not be "exact" perfect, but they are very nice and unless you are a OE kind of guy - 99% of the rest of us would not care.

It is just nice to be able to get a new one that looks damn nice and is configured nicely.

And $142... is way better than $400+ for a perfect real one.

Now if I had a $200,000 Hemi car - I be buying a $400 NOS one for sure
but for my $75K Challenger not necessary. It will never be OE judged.

I am just greatful that Dave got these produced for us.

My 2 cents...

Bill

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/19/13 03:49 AM

I ordered 3 today from Dave. I'm with you.... They'll look good on my cars and I'm glad to have brand new better quality filters.

Quote:

they may not be "exact" perfect, but they are very nice and unless you are a OE kind of guy - 99% of the rest of us would not care.

It is just nice to be able to get a new one that looks damn nice and is configured nicely.

And $142... is way better than $400+ for a perfect real one.

Now if I had a $200,000 Hemi car - I be buying a $400 NOS one for sure
but for my $75K Challenger not necessary. It will never be OE judged.

I am just greatful that Dave got these produced for us.

My 2 cents...

Bill

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/19/13 01:15 PM

I cant believe the people acting like these filters werent selling over the counter for $75.00 just a few years ago. Some are acting like its been 30 years!
Posted By: paris401

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 03/19/13 01:33 PM

Quote:

My

2) K&N is NOT an option.

can u explain?? i thought k&n were ok filters...

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 03/19/13 01:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

My

2) K&N is NOT an option.

can u explain?? i thought k&n were ok filters...

K&N are fantastic filters compared to stock.
Posted By: whomper1

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/19/13 02:06 PM

Quote:

I ordered 3 today from Dave. I'm with you.... They'll look good on my cars and I'm glad to have brand new better quality filters.

are they in stock and ready to ship?

i know someone that would buy, but doesnt want to be on a wait list for if or when they will come in stock

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 03/19/13 02:09 PM

what the heck, i'll throw my two cents on the soap box as well, as an owner of a car that uses this style filter.......

is K&N a bad filter? no way, i think it's better, but you lose the 'original look', which, is important to me......

is the new repop a dead ringer for the original? well, based on only one pic i have seen so far, no, it doesn't look the same. seems the raised perforations are missing....

does is make it irrelevant? hell NO. there is no 'factory-ish' looking filter for us. hasn't been for awhile. someone took the time to make it happen, and of course there is nay saying. i respect the fact that someone did it, and i will be buying at least two. why? A, because i will use one on my driver, and keep the original for show. B, i am selling a 340 six pak engine, and this will top it off much better than a K&N.

is it too expensive? everyone already covered that, if we are willing to spend the kind of money we do on these cars in the first place, i don't think roughly double of what one used to cost versus NOTHING is highway robbery. this is a smaller vendor, not a giant corporation from my understanding.....

also, if there is support here, who knows, maybe it will downfall into someone making an EXACT replica someday if there are not any copyright issues.

all in all, does it appear perfect? no. (who is on their first run out, and more pics are needed in my opinion)

is it a great product for us? yes, and i support all the way. there are way worse robberies and poor part reproduction happening in this mopar hobby than this filter in my opinion.......

carry on!

Re: Fram CA 332 V - 03/19/13 04:01 PM

Hmmm;

- It's nice that they are being reproduced, though I have enough spares to last me forever.

- The K&N's are crap IMO, ymmv.

- I too wish repops could be more accurate, I mean it shouldn't take much more effort to make something right...but this filter looks much better than a K&N and will be "good enough" for most.

- IIRC, even some of the FRAM filters didn't have the raised lip....I think there were 5 or 6 different ones, actually (black, orange, mesh, round flat, round raised, etc.)

Dave

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/19/13 04:08 PM

You will have to check with Dave as I was not given an exact day they will ship. My guess would be in the next month or so, but I'm fine if they take a bit longer.

I'm just glad they are going to make them again and they seem to look pretty good. I like the function of the K&N filters, but I can't stand the look on six pack & hemi cars so these filters will work perfect for me.

If someone doesn't like the look of these for whatever reason, there are still NOS filters around and with guys like me buying these instead of NOS it just means there will more for others who have to have NOS. However, if someone wants to sell a NOS for $100, I'd buy it right now, but at $400 for NOS I'll be happy with the new ones.

Thank you to whoever took the time to produce these.

Quote:

Quote:

are they in stock and ready to ship?

i know someone that would buy, but doesnt want to be on a wait list for if or when they will come in stock

Posted By: Dante

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/19/13 08:54 PM

In response to some of the concerns that people have raised about these new repro elements I thought I would share what the manufacturer has released to us about the way the went about manufacturing them.

"The outer screen reinforcement (the one with the holes), we elected to use Stainless steel. This would not allow it to rust in the future, like the original carbon steel reinforcement would over time. The major reason we chose stainless, is because these vehicles (generally) do more sitting than actually being driven. This has become the nature of our sport. We then galvanized the stainless to give it the original appearance of the carbon steel original. The stainless screen does not exhibit the punch out marks that carbon steel does show, because both materials punch differently. Stainless Steel tends to be more brittle and the punch snaps through. While carbon steel pushes and tears before separating. That is the reason for the lack of slight cheese grader effect on the exterior."

"The original holes in the outer reinforcement were .280". During Testing, we found that if the holes were increased .030" (to approx. .310") air flow was increased greatly even when filter was partially obstructed with debris or moisture."

I will have these in stock as of Wednesday and we will be shipping all back orders on Thursday.
Posted By: Aero426

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/19/13 09:12 PM

It is unfortunate that the new filters have "improvements" that customers did not ask for.

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/19/13 10:34 PM

I don't think that most are worried about the material as much as the hole placement.

If I am correct the originals had a 1/2 hole top and bottom with 3 full holes in the middle. The new ones have full holes top and bottm and 2 more in the middle.

As far as the cheese grated effect, that is a pretty bad excuse. No reason they can't make the die to produce the cheese grater effect.

It is better then nothing for sure. But I don't think it would have cost any more to make the appear much more correct.

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/19/13 11:27 PM

Quote:

In response to some of the concerns that people have raised about these new repro elements I thought I would share what the manufacturer has released to us about the way the went about manufacturing them.

"The outer screen reinforcement (the one with the holes), we elected to use Stainless steel. This would not allow it to rust in the future, like the original carbon steel reinforcement would over time. The major reason we chose stainless, is because these vehicles (generally) do more sitting than actually being driven. This has become the nature of our sport. We then galvanized the stainless to give it the original appearance of the carbon steel original. The stainless screen does not exhibit the punch out marks that carbon steel does show, because both materials punch differently. Stainless Steel tends to be more brittle and the punch snaps through. While carbon steel pushes and tears before separating. That is the reason for the lack of slight cheese grader effect on the exterior."

"The original holes in the outer reinforcement were .280". During Testing, we found that if the holes were increased .030" (to approx. .310") air flow was increased greatly even when filter was partially obstructed with debris or moisture."

I will have these in stock as of Wednesday and we will be shipping all back orders on Thursday.

Dante,

I know you are just passing along what your supplier told you, but because of your good reputation and my own personal positive experiences with you, I would strongly urge you not repeat what they told you. I am a journeyman sheet metal worker, and own a sheet metal fabrication company that is 32 years old and I can tell you that the punch explanation is a load of BS and the coating comment isn't any better.

Dave

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/19/13 11:32 PM

Quote:

It is unfortunate that the new filters have "improvements" that customers did not ask for.

Yep. It's funny that the reasons are because they sit so much so they did this....But then it made a better performing filter if we did this.... I would bet ALL wouldn't know the difference when they drove their car but 100% will know when they open the hood. I am betting it got lost in translation from English to Chinese on how this was supposed to be....
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/19/13 11:39 PM

Research should tell you that the restoration guys want it exactly like it came from the factory. How many repop products have failed for this reason.If you build it right THEN you can gouge people for the big bucks. Don't try to gouge us and then tells us it's an improvement over the factory design. Especially if it looks so different.

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/19/13 11:42 PM

Further to the above;

- we aren't talking about "the cheese grater effect" which is actually burring on the punched hole, we are talking about the lack of the beveled cone around the hole. Refer to Bill's picture posted previously.

- galvanized mild steel takes forever to rust, even when exposed to the elements. Not sure why anyone would use stainless unless they found perforated stainless sheet somewhere with "close enough" hole spacing.

- I seriously doubt that stainless sheet was punched and then given a hot dip galvanized coating....which would look incorrect (think boat trailer or anchor). To duplicate the factory look the part would have had to have been formed from galvanized coated sheet and then punched.

- the statements that collector cars rarely get driven seems incongruous with the statement that the hole size is increased to give better performance when dirty and/or wet.

Anyhow, I'm not trying to bust anyone's chops and I'm glad someone stepped up to make a "more correct" looking alternative to the K&N. It's too bad that they aren't closer to the originals, but that's the way it goes. ...just can't stand the illogical excuses of why that is; just say it was cost effective to make them this way and leave it at that.

Dave
Posted By: flypaper

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/20/13 12:09 AM

then the short story is
the profit was more important then the correctness was !

the holes are incorrect due to material cost/availability
and the "improvements" are a smokescreen to cover up the reason above...

its all about the benji's

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/20/13 12:19 AM

I'm going to get at least one for now knowing how picky (re: an@l we Mopar owners are) this crowd is I'm sure the next run will have improvements. Maybe the next batch won't have any changes or maybe the changes are too small to really notice but to me, right now I have three choices where before I only had two before these reproductions came along:

Choice 1 (which very few even have at this point) Use an NOS air filter that I got with the A12 on the GTX that I want to add the Air Grabber, (Not going to happen).

Choice 2 (the boat that most of us are in at the moment) Pay out the wazoo ($400+) for an NNS last run Fram OEM filter and only use it when you go somewhere that you lift or open the hood.

Choice 3 Buy one of these for a buck-fifty and avoid choices 1 and 2, and wait for the competition to improve on this one while DRIVING MY CAR!!!!

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/20/13 12:25 AM

I think I'll have a friend silk screen print a porus silk band that looks like an OE Fram and put it over a K&N

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/20/13 12:37 AM

Quote:

I'm going to get at least one for now knowing how picky (re: [Email]an@l[/Email] we Mopar owners are) this crowd is I'm sure the next run will have improvements. Maybe the next batch won't have any changes or maybe the changes are too small to really notice but to me, right now I have three choices where before I only had two before these reproductions came along:

Choice 1 (which very few even have at this point) Use an NOS air filter that I got with the A12 on the GTX that I want to add the Air Grabber, (Not going to happen).

Choice 2 (the boat that most of us are in at the moment) Pay out the wazoo ($400+) for an NNS last run Fram OEM filter and only use it when you go somewhere that you lift or open the hood.

Choice 3 Buy one of these for a buck-fifty and avoid choices 1 and 2, and wait for the competition to improve on this one while DRIVING MY CAR!!!!

Mike,what makes you think there will be a second run ?

And,I drive my car with an out of the box Mopar N.O.S.original,if all it does is sit in the garage I don't even need a filter.

Attached picture 7632585-Picture318.jpg

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/20/13 12:44 AM

And I have a few of these too.

Attached picture 7632592-P4040454.JPG

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/20/13 12:47 AM

I would not think there would be a 2nd run. Especially if these do not sell well.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/20/13 02:22 AM

I will order a few when I have the cash, but I drive mine and I am not a purist...or prude about silly crap. Tim

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/20/13 03:42 AM

Quote:

I will order a few when I have the cash, but I drive mine and I am not a purist...or prude about silly crap. Tim

I drive my cars too but I don't have a stash of NOS filters like Bill O...I mean like some that drive with NOS filters.

That's why these latest filters are good enough for me regardless of some holes that aren't just perfect and if there's not going to be another run then all the more reason to buy one of these reproduction air filters, they'll just end up as a good investment. The last run of Fram filters were about $80 and now go look again at the ebag ads they're going for $300-$400+.

I'll get two now that I think about it, and if this is only one run worth, one of you can buy my spare for hmmmmmmmmmm what should I sell it for in a couple of years....seems better than the stock market at this point
Posted By: Aero426

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/20/13 03:58 AM

Quote:

I'll get two now that I think about it, and if this is only one run worth, one of you can buy my spare for hmmmmmmmmmm what should I sell it for in a couple of years....seems better than the stock market at this point

Probably not a bad gamble.
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/20/13 01:20 PM

How bout if we all complain enough, maybe Mike Ross will step up and make a correct one. He won't do one unless it is correct!
Posted By: mrrandyj

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/20/13 02:29 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry, but this is complete bs! They made the holes "approx. . 310" because that is a common size die (5/16" which is actually .312) They took the easy and cheaper way out.

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/20/13 02:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm sorry, but this is complete bs! They made the holes "approx. . 310" because that is a common size die (5/16" which is actually .312) They took the easy and cheaper way out.

I getting more and more confused with what is the issue here Someone offers a product that to some can't be found for a reasonable price, some want it to be absolutely perfect that you can't tell it from an original and would or should cost as much as an original or the ebay Fram re-runs price ($400+). If you don't like it move on and go buy one off ebay or I'll sell you my NOS air filter with the bid starting at $1,000.

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/20/13 02:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Oh and I'm sure that common size "inch" dies are not that common where these filters are probably being produced

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/20/13 03:04 PM

I have no problem really with the filter being not 100% correct. But to me it seems like a steep price for a piece that is not correct. I have a brand new K&N that I have not used yet, I was expecting this new filter to be more in line with the price of the K&N, but it is double. If not for the high price I would get one, but I will stick with the K&N for now. Just seems because it is for a Mopar and shaped like an oval the price got jacked up on it.

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/20/13 03:56 PM

Quote:

I have no problem really with the filter being not 100% correct. But to me it seems like a steep price for a piece that is not correct. I have a brand new K&N that I have not used yet, I was expecting this new filter to be more in line with the price of the K&N, but it is double. If not for the high price I would get one, but I will stick with the K&N for now. Just seems because it is for a Mopar and shaped like an oval the price got jacked up on it.

The chrome '68/'69 valve cover breathers were/are expensive and the first ones were not perfect or exactly correct either but what was available then or now that's better other than replating an original if you could even get a plater to contaminate their tanks with a used dirty one?

Just me but I can't see using a K&N in a stock looking engine compartment on an air grabber. Maybe with some other engine dress-up (valve covers, etc.) but in a stock engine compartment it just looks better with an O.E. "looking" filter IMO.

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/20/13 03:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I getting more and more confused with what is the issue here Someone offers a product that to some can't be found for a reasonable price, some want it to be absolutely perfect that you can't tell it from an original and would or should cost as much as an original or the ebay Fram re-runs price ($400+). If you don't like it move on and go buy one off ebay or I'll sell you my NOS air filter with the bid starting at $1,000.

Come on Mike,be reasonable,I didn't pay more than $25 each for my originals back in the 70's !.

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/20/13 03:58 PM

Stock with K&N

Attached picture 7633228-MVC-002SCS6.JPG
Posted By: MI_Custumz

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/20/13 04:02 PM

Day two mods to an original motor with an older filter.

Attached picture 7633234-893034_10200152824276480_213509720_o.jpg

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/20/13 04:03 PM

stock with replacement NOS auto parts

Attached picture 7633235-DSC09517.JPG

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/20/13 04:04 PM

Quote:

Stock with K&N

You can't see it going down the road at 50mph.

If you must have one pony up the $$ and put it on at the show.

I'm glad I bought the ones I have when I did , the NOS one will look great on my 383 car at the show with the hood up...

on wait , I don't do car shows ...

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/20/13 04:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Stock with K&N

I'm glad I bought the ones I have when I did , the NOS one will look great on my 383 car at the show with the hood up...

I'm betting you bought one of those repo chrome valve cover breathers

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/20/13 04:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Stock with K&N

no I didn't , the one on my Dart is in good enough shape for me , my other car has a black one , it's original. I hope it's not supposed to have Chrome ...

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/20/13 04:11 PM

Oh and the reproduction road runner horns are not like the original Sparton horn and they now have a Pacific Rim tone to them .....but that's all that's currently available. How many people see it when you're driving down the road or track?

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/20/13 04:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Stock with K&N

no I didn't , the one on my Dart is in good enough shape for me , my other car has a black one , it's original. I hope it's not supposed to have Chrome ...

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/20/13 07:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The chrome '68/'69 valve cover breathers were/are expensive and the first ones were not perfect or exactly correct either but what was available then or now that's better other than replating an original if you could even get a plater to contaminate their tanks with a used dirty one?

Just me but I can't see using a K&N in a stock looking engine compartment on an air grabber. Maybe with some other engine dress-up (valve covers, etc.) but in a stock engine compartment it just looks better with an O.E. "looking" filter IMO.

I should have stated that I have a Hemi Shaker set-up. So the air cleaner is not visable to look at. If it was exposed I would not run the K&N I don't think.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/20/13 07:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I wonder if that holed sheet is a common pattern and size off the shelf?

Shame they went to the expense of making the upper and lower seal molds and skipped the effort into the screen.
Posted By: rftroy

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/20/13 11:56 PM

A very important question, if you are going to use this repro filter for operating your car, is what is the filter element made of?

Just because it is white paper material that LOOKS like an air filter, doesn't mean it actually works well.

If it's Chinese made, I don't know that I'd trust it without solid test data.

Bob

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/21/13 12:09 AM

Quote:

Bob

Do you buy current FRAM filters ???

Posted By: astjp2

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/21/13 02:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Bob

John, are you saying that Fram is building these?

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/21/13 02:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The issue here is that they are charging more than top dollar for a "reproduction" filter that has some very important detail items totally wrong! Anyone who knows these air filters at all will be able to tell from 15 feet away that it isn't correct. How much more effort would it have taken to get it right? A couple years ago the Fram reproduction filter was available for $75.00 They did a great job making it look like the originals did, and they made it in Canada. I would bet anything that these new reproduction filters are made in some 3rd world country, are of questionable quality (filtering wise). They barely resemble what they are supposed to be reproducing, and are twice the price. Thats the issue!

What if the company making reproduction red line tires made the red stripe noticeably too wide? How about if the reproduction tail stripes for a SuperBee had the bee in the wrong place? Would those errors be acceptable too?

If your going to be charging top dollar for a restoration part, it better be correct, or very close to it!

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/21/13 03:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bob

John, are you saying that Fram is building these?

No, I'm saying that FRAM is outsourcing everything like most everyone else.

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/21/13 03:48 AM

Quote:

A couple years ago the Fram reproduction filter was available for $75.00

Less than that ...

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/21/13 04:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The issue here is that they are charging more than top dollar for a "reproduction" filter that has some very important detail items totally wrong! Anyone who knows these air filters at all will be able to tell from 15 feet away that it isn't correct. How much more effort would it have taken to get it right? A couple years ago the Fram reproduction filter was available for $75.00 They did a great job making it look like the originals did, and they made it in Canada. I would bet anything that these new reproduction filters are made in some 3rd world country, are of questionable quality (filtering wise). They barely resemble what they are supposed to be reproducing, and are twice the price. Thats the issue!

What if the company making reproduction red line tires made the red stripe noticeably too wide? How about if the reproduction tail stripes for a SuperBee had the bee in the wrong place? Would those errors be acceptable too?

If your going to be charging top dollar for a restoration part, it better be correct, or very close to it!

Ah okay.......but are we sure that there was never a reproduction filter before this that HAD the flat holes????

Check out the bottom two filters from a photo taken about one year ago

Attached picture 7634196-7164034-FramfiltersOldestatbottom.jpg

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/21/13 04:48 AM

A little closer view......

Attached picture 7634199-7164339-100_6428.jpg

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/21/13 01:04 PM

Quote:

Ah okay.......but are we sure that there was never a reproduction filter before this that HAD the flat holes????

We are sure that the ORIGINAL filters did not have the flat holes, and that's really all that matters!

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/21/13 01:22 PM

Quote:

A couple years ago the Fram reproduction filter was available for $75.00 They did a great job making it look like the originals did, and they made it in Canada.

The two Fram CA332V filters I had were both stamped 'Made in Canada'. I'm sure they've outsourced production of other filters overseas but at least the CA332V filters weren't.

Mike.
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/22/13 12:51 AM

Anyone remember the thread this photo was in ??? Sheds a little more light on the subject...I have to agree...Anyone buying{and paying for} one of these repops would probably want to show the vehicle without someone pointing out the obvious flaws...Why make an inaccurate repop after going through the whole process ???
I thought I paid too much when I stocked up on a few fram filters for 65 bucks during the last run a few years ago... Glad I don't need one now..

Attached picture 7635193-6779967-FramCA332copy.jpg
Posted By: His and Her 69's

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/22/13 05:38 AM

I would Love to have an original one or even a repop old one BUT I didn't own my car when they were available. I have a K&N filter but it just doesn't fit the resto theme well of my car. I have to finish the car yet so I would rather pay 143.00 rather then have to pay 400.00 for an old one.
I know it has some differences from the older ones BUT it is better then the K&N. Later on IF one of you guys that seem to have 2,4 6,or 10 of the old ones that you will never use them all want to sell me one at a Reasonable price I would like to get one After I have my car done.

People like me are Happy to have an option to buy a filter that is close to original without the BIG price tag. I WISH I had a few of the old stock ones you guys have!!!
DRE
Posted By: 70mopes

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) *DELETED* - 03/22/13 10:16 PM

Post deleted by 70mopes

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/23/13 11:48 AM

Quote:

whaddayaknow.....

https://bay173.mail.live.com/default.asp...e3f160&fv=1

Give me your login and password and maybe I can see the link.

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 03/23/13 11:57 AM

Quote:

I would Love to have an original one or even a repop old one BUT I didn't own my car when they were available. I have a K&N filter but it just doesn't fit the resto theme well of my car. I have to finish the car yet so I would rather pay 143.00 rather then have to pay 400.00 for an old one.
I know it has some differences from the older ones BUT it is better then the K&N. Later on IF one of you guys that seem to have 2,4 6,or 10 of the old ones that you will never use them all want to sell me one at a Reasonable price I would like to get one After I have my car done.

People like me are Happy to have an option to buy a filter that is close to original without the BIG price tag. I WISH I had a few of the old stock ones you guys have!!!
DRE

At last a voice of reason.
Posted By: mickm

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 04/11/13 05:46 PM

check this video out. go to 3:22. the air filter there on a stock 69 car 4 holes exposed, and they do not look to be extruded. looks like the filter on the left in the post above.

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 04/11/13 05:53 PM

Quote:

check this video out. go to 3:22. the air filter there on a stock 69 car 4 holes exposed, and they do not look to be extruded. looks like the filter on the right in the post above.

Here you go...

Attached picture 7663966-airgrabberairfilter69features.jpg

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 04/11/13 05:55 PM

that IMO is a better performing air filter srceen than the screen with less opening.
Posted By: mickm

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 04/11/13 06:39 PM

Quote:

that IMO is a better performing air filter srceen than the screen with less opening.

agreed. i'm going to pick up one of these filters...
Posted By: thehemikid

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 04/13/13 07:46 AM

I've read where 72ls5fla was going to buy a couple & Cody ordered 3 on 3-18-13 of these repo's.

So have you guys received any yet? I would be interested in seeing pics of the quality of just how well it was put together. I'm not interested in the "not beveled hole", or "4 full holes showing" instead of 3. I'm interested in...

1) Is the orange rubber consistent: is it the same thickness all the way around. In other words thick & thin spots vertically?

2) Does the perforated sheet come close to the outside of the rubber to the point it shows through or is outside the rubber?

Seriously,... If some one has received a good looking one,....I'd like to see it?
Posted By: sailboat

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 04/13/13 12:51 PM

I am going to have them available in three weeks. Price will be $99.00 plus shipping. Its a pretty good repro in a plain box.
Posted By: m88mark

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 04/13/13 01:42 PM

I like plain boxes. Waiting for pics when their ready. Mark

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 04/13/13 03:23 PM

I received mine and I'm happy with them. I would post photos, but they look just like the ones already posted.

I heard there's another batch from another supplier coming out soon so maybe those who would like a different option will have it. I'm just glad we have some options again!

Quote:

I've read where 72ls5fla was going to buy a couple & Cody ordered 3 on 3-18-13 of these repo's.

So have you guys received any yet? I would be interested in seeing pics of the quality of just how well it was put together. I'm not interested in the "not beveled hole", or "4 full holes showing" instead of 3. I'm interested in...

1) Is the orange rubber consistent: is it the same thickness all the way around. In other words thick & thin spots vertically?

2) Does the perforated sheet come close to the outside of the rubber to the point it shows through or is outside the rubber?

Seriously,... If some one has received a good looking one,....I'd like to see it?

Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 04/13/13 03:49 PM

Where are ya'll finding these? I have a brandy new Fram still in the box,but after reading this I don't want to use it.Its drawing better interest than a CD.

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 04/13/13 04:35 PM

Quote:

Where are ya'll finding these? I have a brandy new Fram still in the box,but after reading this I don't want to use it.Its drawing better interest than a CD.

Anything will get you more interest than a CD !!

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 04/13/13 09:58 PM

Quote:

I am going to have them available in three weeks. Price will be $99.00 plus shipping. Its a pretty good repro in a plain box.

$99 is better than $142 over here,...but I don't have any idea how much it would be to ship to Ky? Its 1lb boxed.
When you get a batch could you examine a few, & report back, maybe even take some pics.

I'm just looking for some quality,... not concourse correct.

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 04/13/13 11:01 PM

They will be in transit to here on Tuesday so should be available in about three weeks or less. I'll post a photo. The spec size is the exactsame as the original.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 04/14/13 12:12 AM

Who has them and where can we find them?

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 04/14/13 11:19 AM

Quote:

I know you are in Canada, but why are yours $99 and Roseville posted them at $143? Sometimes depending on what country they are made, shipped to, etc. it makes a bit of a price difference.

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 04/14/13 01:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I know you are in Canada, but why are yours $99 and Roseville posted them at $143? Sometimes depending on what country they are made, shipped to, etc. it makes a bit of a price difference.

Because the first one to have them will try and get your last penny until someone else comes along with a better deal,Once the $99 ones are out,watch the price drop!

And for this part ("Sometimes depending on what country they are made, shipped to, etc. it makes a bit of a price difference.") someone didn't try hard enough.!!

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 04/14/13 03:02 PM

Somewhat right. The units are made in the same factory,but are purchased from different distributors. The mfg. that makes these filters supplies the bulk of the filtering for the mercedes truck division. They are not cheap faxcimiles. Yes, I could have charged $142.00 for the filter. We just felt that $99.00 was a fair market price. We ship to the states all of the time and it is inexpensive and hassle free.

Re: Fram CA 332 V (Just bought one.) - 04/14/13 10:08 PM

Quote:

Somewhat right. The units are made in the same factory,but are purchased from different distributors. The mfg. that makes these filters supplies the bulk of the filtering for the mercedes truck division. They are not cheap faxcimiles. Yes, I could have charged $142.00 for the filter. We just felt that $99.00 was a fair market price. We ship to the states all of the time and it is inexpensive and hassle free.

Also from the suppliers here in the US its 158 at your door depending...

Will you allow a return if the customer is not satisfied with the quality of the filter? If so,... 100% refund, or a stocking fee,...& how about return shipping cost?

With decent quality there wouldn't be any of these return problems. Just would like to know ahead of time.
© 2024 Moparts Forums