Moparts

name of the company remaking the early volt regulators

Posted By: maxie

name of the company remaking the early volt regulators - 10/23/08 03:46 PM

what was the name of the company remaking the early style voltage regulators. They were taking the contacts out and putting modern guts in them. This is the little black box unit used from 61-69 that I am looking for.

thanks scott

I went to real time engeering website and I guess it's not them.
Posted By: 70challrtse

Re: name of the company remaking the early volt refulators - 10/23/08 04:12 PM

Allmost NOS.
Posted By: badsixpack

Re: name of the company remaking the early volt refulators - 10/23/08 10:38 PM

they ain't cheap!
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: name of the company remaking the early volt refulators - 10/23/08 10:44 PM

Attached picture 4768697-DSC00838.JPG
Posted By: AZ_A12_BEE

Re: name of the company remaking the early volt refulators - 10/24/08 01:57 AM

Attached picture 4769168-119_1991.JPG
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: name of the company remaking the early volt refulators - 10/24/08 02:20 AM

Scott, I think you can buy an electronic version and swap the guts into your '69 style case. One guy mentioned JC Whitney as having the electronic version that he used for his conversion.
Posted By: Rollin Hand

Re: name of the company remaking the early volt refulators - 10/24/08 02:24 AM

A few issues ago in mopar action e berg took a wells brand voltage regulator that has modern electronics in it and removed the cover and put on the cover from the old style regulator said it fit right on. May not look 100% but sounds cheaper to do.
Posted By: Snoopy

Re: name of the company remaking the early volt regulat - 10/24/08 03:10 AM

Quote:

Bill,
I couldn't locate this on your website. How about posting a link.

Re: name of the company remaking the early volt refulators - 10/24/08 04:28 AM

I have a mopar constant out put on the shelf in the garage.

Would I be better to run it?

Msd, battery in the trunk, and run an electric pump about 50 percent of the time

Thanks Scott

Re: name of the company remaking the early volt refulators - 10/24/08 04:45 AM

Quote:

they ain't cheap!

how much is not cheap?

I found them on the net for $25
Posted By: polaraholic

Re: name of the company remaking the early volt refulators - 10/24/08 09:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

they ain't cheap!

how much is not cheap?

I found them on the net for $25

Do you have a link for those?
Posted By: Big_John

Re: name of the company remaking the early volt refulators - 10/24/08 10:49 AM

I used a Duralast VR706 regulator from Autozone. I cut the ears off an old regulator cover then just epoxied it directly over the cover of the new one. It fits perfectly without removing the cover on the new regulator.

Posted By: ademon

Re: name of the company remaking the early volt refulators - 10/24/08 02:49 PM

I did the same as Big John. got mine at autozone or murrys for around $20 put the old cover on the new base, and painted the base and cover, got new bolts from Bill at http://www.amhightechauto.com/ . Then went to a local sign shop and had the script on the cover made into stickers, they gave me 4 sets for $40. looks ok works great.

Attached picture 4769906-RoadRunner035.jpg

Re: name of the company remaking the early volt refulators - 10/24/08 02:54 PM

another

Attached picture 4769919-Sept07picts009.jpg
Posted By: GMP440

Re: name of the company remaking the early volt refulators - 10/24/08 02:58 PM

maybe someone can scan the front of their original
voltage regulator and post it on the board so we can duplicate the letterings.

Re: name of the company remaking the early volt regulat - 10/24/08 07:00 PM

Bill at A+M Hightech Automotive has them for $25. They are "Not" listed on his website.

Attached picture 4770309-ReproductionEarlyVoltageRegulator-Electronic.jpg
Posted By: a12superbee

Re: name of the company remaking the early volt refulators - 10/24/08 07:18 PM

Semi thread jack, my bee was switched to the dual field alt and new style regulator, is it possible to keep the dual field and use this type of regulator?

Re: name of the company remaking the early volt regulat - 10/24/08 07:30 PM

Ground one of the field connectors. The arrow shows you which one to ground.

Attached picture 4770354-altback.JPG
Posted By: a12superbee

Re: name of the company remaking the early volt refulators - 10/24/08 07:45 PM

Thanks.
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: name of the company remaking the early volt refulators - 10/24/08 11:34 PM

FBO has them. i have an FBO on my 65 coronet; works good.

Re: name of the company remaking the early volt refulators - 10/25/08 02:50 AM

Quote:

Ground one of the field connectors. The arrow shows you which one to ground.

I have the other one grounded on mine. no problems here.
Posted By: beatgoeson

Re: name of the company remaking the early volt refulators - 10/25/08 12:25 PM

Does anybody re-stamp the covers? I have one I cleaned and painted and would like to have stamped. Would like to have my pertronics coil stamped too.

Re: name of the company remaking the early volt refulators - 10/25/08 05:28 PM

I think someone does, one of the companys that sells decal/stripe sets. not sure which one
Posted By: Mike Mancini

Re: name of the company remaking the early volt refulators - 10/25/08 06:01 PM

www.instrument-specialties.com does, not on the web page, but they do.

Mike
Posted By: RichV

Re: name of the company remaking the early volt regulators - 11/06/08 01:30 AM

Be carefull of these, I had one short out to the case and melt the wire to the ignition side. Fortunately turning off the key cut off the power. The terminal shifted in the body and since the pass through for this lug was not isolated it grounded the wire to the case. I was able to cut the wire out of the harness and splice in a new one. The configuration is slightly different than the one shown. FBO assured me that his would not have the problem I had. The new regulator he sold me was exactly the same as the one that failed. This type regulator has a bare wire going from the circuit board to the ignition lug.
Posted By: LYNCHROAD69.5

Re: name of the company remaking the early volt regulators - 11/06/08 01:24 PM

Quote:

Be carefull of these, I had one short out to the case and melt the wire to the ignition side. Fortunately turning off the key cut off the power. The terminal shifted in the body and since the pass through for this lug was not isolated it grounded the wire to the case. I was able to cut the wire out of the harness and splice in a new one. The configuration is slightly different than the one shown. FBO assured me that his would not have the problem I had. The new regulator he sold me was exactly the same as the one that failed. This type regulator has a bare wire going from the circuit board to the ignition lug.

It appears the same thing happend to my car with the previous owner...he ended up grounding the alternator and all seems fine (1970 alternator). The reason I know is I just noticed the wire from IGN side is melted from the firewall bulkhead back to the ignition switch in the dash.

I dont want this to happen again with new motor so I need to ask...if I have petronix (electrical ingnition) in my car with correct alternator (remand with one field) what style voltage regulator can I use (old style..NOS, or new one specificaly for cars with electronic ignition)?
Posted By: LYNCHROAD69.5

Re: name of the company remaking the early volt regulators - 11/07/08 04:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

It appears the same thing happend to my car with the previous owner...he ended up grounding the alternator and all seems fine (1970 alternator). The reason I know is I just noticed the wire from IGN side is melted from the firewall bulkhead back to the ignition switch in the dash.

I dont want this to happen again with new motor so I need to ask...if I have petronix (electrical ingnition) in my car with correct alternator (remand with one field) what style voltage regulator can I use (old style..NOS, or new one specificaly for cars with electronic ignition)?

© 2024 Moparts Forums