Moparts

First time suspension rebuild questions, 69 b-body

Posted By: ONEBADBIRD

First time suspension rebuild questions, 69 b-body - 03/16/12 02:54 AM

So I am getting all the following items to put on the 1969 Road Runner: New inner/outer tie rods, upper/lower ball joints, control arm bushings, stabilizer links, strut rod bushings, control arm bumpers, adjusting sleeves. I believe I will need the special sockets for the ball joints which I can rent from the parts store, What other items listed on here will I need some sort of suspension specialty tool? Is it a pain getting the control arms out to change the bushings? So I have a shop manual, have the motor pulled and the front drums are off in order to put on an SSBC front power disc brake kit, so I have decided this is a good time to do the suspension while I have the most room to work. Any personal experience you may have had doing this suspension job on a b-body is more than appreciated! Thanks,Onebad
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: First time suspension rebuild questions, 69 b-body - 03/16/12 05:04 AM

I ended up rebuilding the entire front suspension on my 69 Charger back in 2006. It wasn't as bad as what I thought. The hardest thing was taking my time. I did one side at a time and took measurements of the length from tie rod to tie rod (inner to outer) so I could get a close area when I put the new ones back in so the alignment wouldn't be totally off. It might be off but at least you have a close reference. The other hardest thing I had to do was to try and get the torsion bars out. They sell a special tool that bolt onto the bar so you can get them out easily but I ended up just moving mine back and forth till I eventually got it out. Again, take your time and use one side that is still assembled as a reference. If you don't have one already, get yourself a factory service manual as it is all explained in there also with a couple pics! More importantly, torque specs!!!!!!
Posted By: Silver70

Re: First time suspension rebuild questions, 69 b-body - 03/16/12 07:02 AM

It's been a few years since I did one, but you'll want access to a press. I use an air chisel to do the lca bushings, but it'd be easy to mess them up. They are the most difficult part in my eyes.
Posted By: pushbutton

Re: First time suspension rebuild questions, 69 b-body - 03/16/12 01:52 PM

Spray with PB Blaster etc. Big hammer, breaker bar, good impac. UCA bushings can be done with a good bench vise and the right size sockets Probably have to find someone with a press for LCA bushings. Break the upper ball joints loose with the UCA's still in car. The right socket is a plus,or take them off and take them to a shop with one. Good luck.
Posted By: ONEBADBIRD

Re: First time suspension rebuild questions, 69 b-body - 03/16/12 02:41 PM

Thanks for the info! I am getting started on this later today so your input is great. Yes I do have a factory manual for my car. I may be posting questions later Thanks
Posted By: rtmike

Re: First time suspension rebuild questions, 69 b-body - 03/18/12 02:48 AM

On the LCAs I welded a washer to the outer housing once I had the pin and the rubber bushing out, and the used bolts and pipe to press it out with wrenches. You do need a press to get it back together though.
© 2024 Moparts Forums