Moparts

Steel Rim Fix-up?

Posted By: Mikeymopar68

Steel Rim Fix-up? - 02/27/12 11:03 PM

I am cleaning up some painted steel rims to sell to a friend. When I took the tires off the rims there was more than the expected rust along the bead area and the rim edge and around the valve stem hole. The tires held air so I will assume the rims are acceptable for use. I took a wire wheel to those areas and broke the rust loose and then I treated it with a rust stopper which turns the rust to a black oxide. My question is; Is there a product I can spread over the pitted areas , sand down, prime and still have it hold up without cracking and popping loose and still look presentable? Thanks Mike
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Steel Rim Fix-up? - 02/27/12 11:36 PM

Sounds like you want to hide the rusted areas, why ? I would let the end user decide how they want to treat those areas.

Re: Steel Rim Fix-up? - 02/28/12 02:21 AM

Just trying to make the rims presentable is all!
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: Steel Rim Fix-up? - 02/28/12 02:26 AM

I would use a product like All Metal filler. Fill the pits, sand it smooth, prime, then paint.

Re: Steel Rim Fix-up? - 02/28/12 02:31 AM

Thanks Dave I forgot about that stuff!

Re: Steel Rim Fix-up? - 02/28/12 06:54 AM

Quote:

Just trying to make the rims presentable is all!

If they are that bad that you need to hide their condition from your friend maybe you should ask yourself if him being your friendship is more important than the money?
Posted By: GMP440

Re: Steel Rim Fix-up? - 02/28/12 09:06 PM

Just sand blast the wheel, put a good primer on it and paint. I just redid a wheel about a month ago. Mine had some surface rust with a little pitting, but came out really nice.

Re: Steel Rim Fix-up? - 02/29/12 04:46 PM

Thanks Guys for all your advice all except for JohnRR. Normally I ignore stupidity and so I will in this case to continue my run of ignoring an IDIOT JohnRRu. To even suggest I am trying to hide something is about your speed!!!! Thanks to everyone else. I learned something once again.

Re: Steel Rim Fix-up? - 02/29/12 08:37 PM

Quote:

Thanks Guys for all your advice all except for JohnRR. Normally I ignore stupidity and so I will in this case to continue my run of ignoring an IDIOT JohnRRu. To even suggest I am trying to hide something is about your speed!!!! Thanks to everyone else. I learned something once again.

Seems I struck a nerve , obviously the TRUTH hurts ...

I wonder if your FRIEND will be very happy with the outcome of the PERFUMING of those rims?

Posted By: srt

Re: Steel Rim Fix-up? - 02/29/12 09:36 PM

cologning?

Re: Steel Rim Fix-up? - 02/29/12 10:20 PM

lipstick on a pig ?
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: Steel Rim Fix-up? - 03/01/12 03:13 AM

I agree with John on this one. I may try and clean them up if I was going to use them, but not for resale, especially to a friend. I've bought stuff with hidden damage at swap meets and was more than a little pizzed when I found it later on. Go ahead and sell it to your buddy, just expect that you may have to look for some new friends.
Posted By: Ron69rr

Re: Steel Rim Fix-up? - 03/01/12 03:19 AM

Friends are harder to find than parts.
© 2024 Moparts Forums