Moparts

Hemi valve cover grease pencil numbers

Posted By: Kowal

Hemi valve cover grease pencil numbers - 02/21/12 01:23 PM

I know this has been discussed before, but I haven't been able to find the thread.

On the front of the valve covers is the last couple digits of the part numbers (with auto or manual linkage) in white grease pencil on a Hemi, black on the rest.

What are the correct numbers for the front of a 68 Hemi with an automatic? Lynch Road car.
Posted By: Ply72rr

Re: Hemi valve cover grease pencil numbers - 02/22/12 03:35 AM

I believe the you are asking about the engine code numbers. I think they are listed on the fender tag and/or build sheet. The MyMopar site list 447 as the code for 1968 HEMI automatic but I would suggest you do some more research to confirm, I'm a rookie at this stuff.

Re: Hemi valve cover grease pencil numbers - 02/22/12 08:46 PM

Here is a pic I snapped of a recently restored Hemi in a 68 Dodge. An automatic.

I wasn't sure of this number, I have seen numbers on survivor Hemi's that were different.

Attached picture 7085089-68Hemi.jpg

Re: Hemi valve cover grease pencil numbers - 02/22/12 08:52 PM

Here is a survivor pic of a Hemi in a 69 Dodge, this one a 4 speed car. Picture is from a thread on the Lift Off Hood forum which I hope they don't mind that I borrowed for this.

Attached picture 7085101-1404f99_20.jpg
Posted By: MMC Detroit

Re: Hemi valve cover grease pencil numbers - 02/23/12 01:08 AM

Quote:

I believe the you are asking about the engine code numbers. I think they are listed on the fender tag and/or build sheet. The MyMopar site list 447 as the code for 1968 HEMI automatic but I would suggest you do some more research to confirm, I'm a rookie at this stuff.

Engine code from the broadcast sheet
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Hemi valve cover grease pencil numbers - 02/23/12 04:33 AM

I thought that the engine code was on the front of the pass vc, the tranny code was on the front of the driver vc, and the carb code was on top of the driver vc. All coded off the broadcast sheet. And those codes could very well vary from year to year.

Do I remember right?
Posted By: 69CoronetRT

Re: Hemi valve cover grease pencil numbers - 02/23/12 05:29 AM

Quote:

Here is a survivor pic of a Hemi in a 69 Dodge, this one a 4 speed car. Picture is from a thread on the Lift Off Hood forum which I hope they don't mind that I borrowed for this.

Are you positive this car was/is a four speed?

(9)22 would be the engine assembly code for a 69 Hemi with automatic.

(9)21 would be the code for a four speed car.
Posted By: 68jim

Re: Hemi valve cover grease pencil numbers - 02/23/12 09:57 PM

I'm curious about this as well for my 68 Hemi RR auto. I have a copy of a buddies 68 4 speed Hemi RR and his engine code is 733. (do not have mine...) I can't see the trans code since a rusty seat spring covered that block. So is 734 the code for 68 hemi Auto? And that code is displayed on the pass side valve cover?

Jim
Posted By: 696pack

Re: Hemi valve cover grease pencil numbers - 02/24/12 02:03 AM

Quote:

I'm curious about this as well for my 68 Hemi RR auto. I have a copy of a buddies 68 4 speed Hemi RR and his engine code is 733. (do not have mine...) I can't see the trans code since a rusty seat spring covered that block . So is 734 the code for 68 hemi Auto? And that code is displayed on the pass side valve cover?

Jim

Take a no. 2 pencil eraser and ligthly erase the rust mark. It sometimes works where you can read the code under it. It works for the grease pencil marks too as the grease pencils has graphite in them which is what is in pencil lead.

Re: Hemi valve cover grease pencil numbers - 02/24/12 03:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Are you positive this car was/is a four speed?

(9)22 would be the engine assembly code for a 69 Hemi with automatic.

(9)21 would be the code for a four speed car.

. Checked, original owner had a second, automatic, car. Probably swapped valve covers.
Posted By: 68jim

Re: Hemi valve cover grease pencil numbers - 02/24/12 06:16 PM

Quote:

Take a no. 2 pencil eraser and ligthly erase the rust mark. It sometimes works where you can read the code under it. It works for the grease pencil marks too as the grease pencils has graphite in them which is what is in pencil lead.

I appreciate the tip, however in this case my copy of his sheet is a scan...

So back to the topic - The engine numbers are on the driver side and not the passenger side? The posted picture showed a three digit number, my memory is not that great anymore but I seem to recall usually seeing just a two digit number there.

Jim
© 2024 Moparts Forums