Moparts

radio repair

Posted By: sunroof446

radio repair - 02/05/12 01:32 PM

I have a 70 b body am fm I need repaired the am is not working. I called wards they said it would be about 12 weeks. Is there anybody else that does radio's?
Posted By: Dr V

Re: radio repair - 02/05/12 05:34 PM

Call this guy. Its my wifes uncle, he has done them all his life. Dr V

http://www.mikehaganantiqueautoradio.com/

Re: radio repair - 02/06/12 02:55 PM

Quote:

Just talked to mike. He is the right guy to send it to. Thanks.
Posted By: BigMoneyLewis

Re: radio repair - 02/07/12 12:25 AM

Sorry about the turnaround times . We are averaging about 12 weeks right now . I have about 65-70 radios in the shop at the moment .
We are working hard to get our turnaround time back down to under 30 days , but with 5 or 6 radios a day coming in , it's tough.
We stopped taking in GM and Ford so we could concentrate on Mopar A B E body ,and are no longer doing 8 tracks, so that should help us get
caught up a little faster , I hope.

Greg

Re: radio repair - 02/07/12 01:07 AM

His turn around time is pretty long to. I just mean't right guy becuase He seemed very knowledgable about radio's. Explaining differances about motorola made & phillips made. Got pretty techinical. I know you do great work too.

Re: radio repair - 02/07/12 02:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Just talked to mike. He is the right guy to send it to. Thanks.

No problem. Good Luck

Re: radio repair - 02/07/12 02:53 AM

Quote:

His turn around time is pretty long to. I just mean't right guy becuase He seemed very knowledgable about radio's. Explaining differances about motorola made & phillips made. Got pretty techinical. I know you do great work too.

We do a ton of the 1970 B body AM FM Motorola # 2884753 .
We had to replace a transformer on one today as a matter of fact.
I shipped out 5 or 6 of them so far this year . A quick glance on the shelves and I see at least two more coming up soon.
It's a fairly hard radio to find , but suprisingly we end up with
more than our fair share in this shop.

Alot of people don't know one radio manufacturer from another .
The 70 B body AM for example was manufactured by both Phillips AND
Bendix , and both carry the # 2884752 number although they are
totally diffrent inside. Their are very minor diffrences to the exterior. The mechanical parts also differ inside as well. That's why it's good to have 400-500 Mopar parts radios on hand.

It sounds like you found a good technician .
If he works out for you let me know .
We may send him some of our overflow ,if he wants to do GM and Ford .

Dad's been servicing Chrysler radios since 1965 so he has about 45 years under his belt .At one time he was a troubleshooter on the radio line at the Chrysler electronics plant. Once he "retires" I won't be able to replace him. I figure I can at least get a couple more years out of him.

Greg
Posted By: kidmopar

Re: radio repair - 02/07/12 03:28 AM

I have to say I'm totally "flabbergasted" at the amount of 40+ year old radios being sent in for repair? With all the "cheap" (price & quality) tunes available today IE: iPods , etc. that people still opt to get the 'old' AM / 8-track or AM / FM repaired & not 'upgrade' to today's technology ? I have an original AM/8-track in my '70 E-body (barely works) & still have an original AM/FM I grabbed from a total '70 Challenger R/T SE in 1980! Keep thinking I should send one or both to Wards & just wait my turn , but guess he no longer does 8-Tracks "?"
Posted By: LYNCHROAD69.5

Re: radio repair - 02/07/12 04:37 AM

Quote:

I have to say I'm totally "flabbergasted" at the amount of 40+ year old radios being sent in for repair? With all the "cheap" (price & quality) tunes available today IE: iPods , etc. that people still opt to get the 'old' AM / 8-track or AM / FM repaired & not 'upgrade' to today's technology ?

Wards does that as well...after rebuilding my radio, they installed an ipod jack in my original 1969 am/fm and it works great!

Re: radio repair - 02/07/12 02:57 PM

Quote:

I have to say I'm totally "flabbergasted" at the amount of 40+ year old radios being sent in for repair? With all the "cheap" (price & quality) tunes available today IE: iPods , etc. that people still opt to get the 'old' AM / 8-track or AM / FM repaired & not 'upgrade' to today's technology ? I have an original AM/8-track in my '70 E-body (barely works) & still have an original AM/FM I grabbed from a total '70 Challenger R/T SE in 1980! Keep thinking I should send one or both to Wards & just wait my turn , but guess he no longer does 8-Tracks "?" :b Greg and also my uncle Mike can put all of that technology into most of the old radios, computer board and all. The technology is awesome. I have the upgrade in all 4 of my cars.

Re: radio repair - 02/07/12 11:30 PM

Yep, we do alot of the modern FM conversions as well , 180 watts total .
The outside of the radio remains 100 % stock , so people doing correct restos can have modern sound / power and retain the stock
appearance . But probably 90 % of what we do is simply servicing the radio back to original specs . That's what most people want , and probably 25 % of my customers request an mp3/ipod jack .
We have done about 3,000 Mopar radios so far from the 66-74 era .
You would think eventually we will have done them all, but they just keep coming .

Greg
Posted By: Hemiruss

Re: radio repair - 02/08/12 12:06 AM

Greg did my am radio a couple of years ago and it's PERFECT....the only thing I wished I did was 2 add the Ipod jack.I've now got the Ipod and wished I could listen 2 it.BUT IT WAS WORTH THE WAIT.....at the time mine was done he wasn't that busy...I'm glad 2 hear your are busy that's good 4 our ecomony...

Attached picture 7059181-100_2048.JPG
Posted By: redwrydr

Re: radio repair - 02/08/12 08:05 AM

Quote:

I have a 70 b body am fm I need repaired the am is not working. I called wards they said it would be about 12 weeks. Is there anybody else that does radio's?

Yes I used S/M Electro Tech to rebuild my original AM/8 track from my 70 Cuda. He did a wonderful job, sent me back all the original leaking little parts so I could see what was replaced. Greg is a great guy and my radio works perfectly. I also bought replacement speakers from them and they are excellent. I highly recommend them.
http://www.turnswitch.com/
© 2024 Moparts Forums