Moparts

Restoring 71 Cuda Parking Lamps

Posted By: drowe

Restoring 71 Cuda Parking Lamps - 01/13/12 05:59 AM

Looking for some direction/pointers in restoring a set of 71 Cuda parking lamps. I need new lenses & to refinish the exterior and interior of the housing. The pigtails seam to be in good shape. Does anyone know the correct colors for the finishes?
Posted By: HEMICUDA

Re: Restoring 71 Cuda Parking Lamps - 01/13/12 09:00 AM

Something like this.

Attached picture 7016063-218-Set%20copy.jpg
Posted By: cudastruction

Re: Restoring 71 Cuda Parking Lamps - 01/13/12 04:46 PM

What is the finish on the back of those?

Al
Posted By: drowe

Re: Restoring 71 Cuda Parking Lamps - 01/13/12 10:22 PM

Is the plastic lenses painted silver on the outside edge? I just have the housings so I couldn't compare to original. The picture helps but I'm looking for specific color direction (paint suppliers). If I'm going to go through the work of painting and restoring them I want to do it right the first time.
Posted By: burdar

Re: Restoring 71 Cuda Parking Lamps - 01/13/12 10:52 PM

Scott Smith can correctly replate the housings if you want to go that route. I think Bill Allphin used Eastwood carb paint on some tail light housings he did for a customer. They turned out nice.
Posted By: MLR426

Re: Restoring 71 Cuda Parking Lamps - 01/14/12 03:50 AM

Quote:

Something like this.

Hands down don't screw around and buy Mike's at BE&A they are super nice in every way. They have clean pig tail connections as well as nice plating. If you want nice parking lights these are it.

Martin logan426
Posted By: Cuda Cody

Re: Restoring 71 Cuda Parking Lamps - 01/14/12 03:53 AM

WOW, Mike did a great job on those.
Posted By: HEMICUDA

Re: Restoring 71 Cuda Parking Lamps - 01/15/12 11:57 AM

Quote:

WOW, Mike did a great job on those.

Thx Cody, it's not difficult to plate new casting, Eric Manuel plates all my parts. Old housing tend to become porous over time and are difficult to replate evenly like when they were new. We make the pigtails and install them with our press and dies we made. So, for us, it's rather simple to get "almost" perfect. New housing plated, install the pigtail, paint the inside of the housing and install our new lenses.
© 2024 Moparts Forums