Moparts

Body jig like ...the one AMD uses..

Posted By: magnumcharger

Body jig like ...the one AMD uses.. - 01/11/12 06:00 PM

Anybody have a set of plans for building a body jig similar to the style used by the AMD crew, for mounting a Mopar unibody, when major panel replacement is underway?

Attached picture 7012994-Weldingjig.JPG
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Body jig like ...the one AMD uses.. - 01/11/12 06:32 PM

Looks like most of the info is right there, plus a straight unibody.
Build the base to size, then slap it under a straight unibody and fab up to the frame rails, spring and K member points and maybe even the door hinge points.
You could probably make the frame supports on a complete car except the areas above the rear springs, but could still take measurements.
If the drain holes are standard (they should be, they are used in the alignment drawings), you can put tapered pins on the tops so they self-align.
Firuge out what hard points are important and build removable arms to define them.
The alignment specs for the unibody should be available from a good collision shop.
Here's another
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/proje...g/photo_10.html
Posted By: OLD318

Re: Body jig like ...the one AMD uses.. - 01/12/12 08:52 PM

Quote:

The alignment specs for the unibody should be available from a good collision shop.
Here's another

The "unibody" specs you refer to above is a little misleading.

There are no above the frame, "unibody" specs for old mopars...
There are only below the frame specs..

There is only 1 reliable source for those, the old tru-way frame book.

There is a page in the 196X or 197X book for your specific mopar.
This page shows all the point to point specs to within a 1/4 inch
and it shows the datum line...

There is no point of reference, or spec, for any above the frame measurement.

Modern collision shops do not have frame specs for cars that old
because they won't touch an old car (which needs structural work anyway) with a 10 foot pole.

There is a guy I believe you can call, give your car/model year be sure to mention convertible and I believe he will fax you a copy from the book.... (for free!)
at least he has done this in the past... I forget his name I'm sorry...

Here is the link:
http://www.klinesauto.com/PDFs/Current%20Newsletter%20PDF/Frame%20Spec%20Library.pdf

There are 5 or 6 locations shown.
I forget exactly which one it is (try Reading or Pottstown first)
Ask about the tru-way frame books.
Tell him you year/make/model etc...

Best of luck to you
Posted By: 5wndwcpe

Re: Body jig like ...the one AMD uses.. - 01/12/12 11:00 PM

Quote:

Looks like most of the info is right there, plus a straight unibody.
Build the base to size, then slap it under a straight unibody and fab up to the frame rails, spring and K member points and maybe even the door hinge points.
You could probably make the frame supports on a complete car except the areas above the rear springs, but could still take measurements.
If the drain holes are standard (they should be, they are used in the alignment drawings), you can put tapered pins on the tops so they self-align. Firuge out what hard points are important and build removable arms to define them.
Here's another

I spoke to Craig Hopkins (AMD installation center) about this very thing last year. He said when they first built their jig they did this. Problems arose when they realized the holes weren't always in exactly the same spot between models and/or aftermarket frame rails. His advice was to tack weld the supports to the frame and cut them loose when you are done and skip the locating pins altogether.

I also spoke to AMD directly and they suggested to support the car at 8 points. Of course, I was talking about a convertible, but I don't think too much support can hurt you.
Posted By: cudastruction

Re: Body jig like ...the one AMD uses.. - 01/13/12 02:11 AM

If someone does get a copy please post it here. I could use those specs too.

Al

Re: Body jig like ...the one AMD uses.. - 01/13/12 04:11 PM

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/upload2/6556156-Frame69Coronet.jpg

Attached picture 7016293-6556156-Frame69Coronet.jpg
Posted By: flypaper

Re: Body jig like ...the one AMD uses.. - 01/13/12 04:34 PM

Quote:

If the drain holes are standard (they should be, they are used in the alignment drawings), you can put tapered pins on the tops so they self-align.

how about no way,no how?

just for instance
68,69,70 bbody the holes are different for each year.
i didn't even get to the dodge/plymouth differences in the same year yet

amd saying that about rails shows they don't know squat about replacing mopar metal
why would they even try it to begin with???
they must be learning on the job!
(any mopar body guy should know about the rail difference),they should just stick to making it
unless you plan on doing metal replacement for a living, a jig
is a wee bit overkill i would say
Posted By: 68427vette

Re: Body jig like ...the one AMD uses.. - 01/14/12 11:46 AM

anyone have specs sheet for 70 and 71 challengers,, getting ready to rack one up,, jc

Re: Body jig like ...the one AMD uses.. - 08/14/12 01:33 AM

Got my jig built, the support posts are next!
See pics here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=...mp;l=5580889a53

Attached picture 7334014-226258_10150980066106314_1703765195_n.jpg

Re: Body jig like ...the one AMD uses.. - 08/14/12 09:16 PM

When I built mine, I angled the corner braces, providing an open center so that I could use a creeper and slide under the car. It's proven to be quite useful.

Attached picture 7335185-jig.jpg
Posted By: moparmojo

Re: Body jig like ...the one AMD uses.. - 08/21/12 06:18 AM

Awesome stuff guys! I cant believe I just found this post as I have been thinking about building a frame/alignment jig myself. Matter of fact when I was at the Nats and saw that Autotwirler was selling one. It was very pricey. I tried twice to talk to the sales guy but each time he was busy when some other yahoo shooting the breeze. I just didnt want to stand around forever, so I left. Here's the link. http://www.autotwirler.us/product-p/abt.htm

Im trying to decide how best to build mine. Do you guys plan on putting on those leveling/stop/pads shown on the AMD one? If so, where can they be purchased at. I would also like to know how you came up with your measurements, or did you use the dimensions from that frame sheet to use to cut the stands (or have you not gotten to that yet)?

Re: Body jig like ...the one AMD uses.. - 08/21/12 06:20 AM

Sorry, just saw the second pic with the leveling pads. Where did you get those from?

Re: Body jig like ...the one AMD uses.. - 08/21/12 10:30 PM

I scarfed them off of some equipment in work headed for the scrap pile, but they are available commercially :

http://www.carrlane.com/Catalog/index.cf...A3C3B285350415F

Although mine isn't quite finished in the picture, I made it (if I remember) 36" to the center of the rails. Thought being, it splits the difference of how the frame rails vary in width on the car. I then made the uprights mimic the frame dimensions in the above post.

Jeff @ 521Restorations has a nice write up on his as well.
http://www.521restorations.com/index.pl?page=framejig
Posted By: johnfin

Re: Body jig like ...the one AMD uses.. - 08/18/16 07:06 PM

These are great frame dimensions but dies anyone have the boy dimensions for a 1969 B-Body. ie. door openings, trunk and hood dimensions?

Re: Body jig like ...the one AMD uses.. - 08/19/16 05:46 AM

Here is how I mount the car to the jig. The bolts go into the factory holes and mount and un-mount quickly and cleanly.

Attached picture P1010015.JPG
Attached picture P1010019.JPG
Attached picture P1010016.JPG
Posted By: 71GTX471

Re: Body jig like ...the one AMD uses.. - 08/20/16 02:21 AM

When building a body jig doesn't it have too be built on a body jig/table that is perfectly level.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Body jig like ...the one AMD uses.. - 08/20/16 05:23 AM

How did the very first jig ever get level ?!?!?
Posted By: convx4

Re: Body jig like ...the one AMD uses.. - 08/22/16 03:51 AM

A level would be used to get the frame jig level.

Re: Body jig like ...the one AMD uses.. - 08/24/16 05:23 AM

Originally Posted By 5wndwcpe
Here is how I mount the car to the jig. The bolts go into the factory holes and mount and un-mount quickly and cleanly.

Now your set up looks pretty smart. Can you share more pics for us so we can see the pic up points underneath and the overall jig. Nice work.
Posted By: David_in_St_Croi

Re: Body jig like ...the one AMD uses.. - 08/27/16 04:05 PM

Search for Project Binky on You Tube to get some jig ideas. Two guys in the UK who build and race Rally cars stuffing a Celica AWD drivetrain into a 1980 1000cc Austin Mini.
Some good ideas on fabricating jigs for installing bits that, while in this case are putting an unoriginal part in, the basic concept and approach is very useful. Plus they are very entertaining and very talented.
Their jig can even function as a rotisserie.

Re: Body jig like ...the one AMD uses.. - 08/28/16 03:30 AM

Originally Posted By moparmojo
Originally Posted By 5wndwcpe

Now your set up looks pretty smart. Can you share more pics for us so we can see the pic up points underneath and the overall jig. Nice work.

Thanks. I'll have to scare up some pics, unfortunately there are none on this computer.
Posted By: mattsmopars

Re: Body jig like ...the one AMD uses.. - 08/30/16 11:31 PM

I had asked Jeff at 521 restoration about his Jig and he was more than willing to share his information. He had a write up on his website as well.
Here is a link: http://www.521restorations.com/index.pl?page=framejig
Matt

Re: Body jig like ...the one AMD uses.. - 09/02/16 05:02 AM

Here are a few shots of the build. I built the framework on saw horses (not the ones pictured)leveled to the ninth degree but of course, the pieces would move around a bit after welding so I didn't add the uprights until the lower box was complete.

Using the frame chart, the first and last uprights were set to the datum line and the others were added to meet this line.

Attached picture P1010001.JPG
Attached picture P1010001-1.JPG
Attached picture P1010002-1.JPG
Attached picture P1010006.JPG

Re: Body jig like ...the one AMD uses.. - 09/20/16 04:02 PM

That is a really slick set up and it looks like it can be disassembled. Curious how you choose your pick up points. Did you solely go off of measurements from the book or the actual car to determine it will be perfectly square and level.
Posted By: RT03

Re: Body jig like ...the one AMD uses.. - 09/21/16 07:16 AM

Those are some pretty nice frame jigs you folks have made. The shop doing the work on my GTX made a jig to hold my car so it's not tying up one of the frame racks at the shop for months on end. It's not as elaborate as some of these jigs, but it's more than adequate.

It's squared and leveled with the floor with adjustable feet and clamped at the rocker pinch welds. The uprights locate the front and rear frame rails and the rear tail light panel. He's using a Chief laser measuring system which maps out all the measuring points on the frame. I printed out the page in the shop manual that had the frame specs for him, but I'll have to ask him if the Chief aligner had the specs in the software as well.

Attached picture GTX Jig.jpg

Re: Body jig like ...the one AMD uses.. - 09/22/16 04:03 AM

Originally Posted By moparmojo
That is a really slick set up and it looks like it can be disassembled. Curious how you choose your pick up points. Did you solely go off of measurements from the book or the actual car to determine it will be perfectly square and level.

I went off of the frame specs as provided by Ma Mopar. I knew I was going to cut the floor, trunk and quarters off and didn't want the car to boogie around and as the car was welded crooked from the factory (imagine that) I thought it best to start where it was supposed to be.
© 2024 Moparts Forums