Moparts

'69 master cylinder cover interchange

Posted By: demonH1B

'69 master cylinder cover interchange - 01/10/12 03:40 PM

Does anyone know if the two hump m/c cylinder cover, drum brake, will fit the after market m/c, which comes with the inverted bathtub cover.
Posted By: b54406barrel

Re: '69 master cylinder cover interchange - 01/11/12 12:39 AM

Probably. When I put the one on my '70- 6bbl car that I got from Napa back in the 70's, it came with a stock cover. Still on there, no leaks.

Posted By: lewtot184

Re: '69 master cylinder cover interchange - 01/11/12 01:11 AM

i have both master cylinders and i'm going to say no.
Posted By: Kowal

Re: '69 master cylinder cover interchange - 01/11/12 01:24 PM

In other words, can you take a new unit such as from Napa or somewhere and use the old bolt on cover...in place of the bolt on cover they currently sell that is a one hump, inverted bath tub looking thing? Yes, I have done it with no issues, just make sure your bolt isn't too long so that it bottoms out before the cap is tight.
Posted By: demonH1B

Re: '69 master cylinder cover interchange - 01/11/12 03:57 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Re: '69 master cylinder cover interchange - 01/11/12 10:31 PM

the master cylinder on the right came of my 69 r/t; the left is the common aftermarket. think the tops will interchange?

Attached picture 7013341-100_0302.jpg

Re: '69 master cylinder cover interchange - 01/11/12 10:46 PM

Quote:

the master cylinder on the right came of my 69 r/t; the left is the common aftermarket. think the tops will interchange?

I've never had a master for a drum brake mopar with a bail, always been a bolt on. And I'm pretty sure I've seen the 'bathtub' one he's describing & it's a bolt on. The bail MC were for disc cars originally, I think. Maybe some drum replacements have the bail, now?

Re: '69 master cylinder cover interchange - 01/12/12 12:55 PM

Quote:

Ok, obviously these two won't swap. This isn't the two I was talking about.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: '69 master cylinder cover interchange - 01/12/12 02:17 PM

Quote:

not a chance
Posted By: XXHEMI

Re: '69 master cylinder cover interchange - 01/12/12 02:28 PM

If I am not mistaken? The one on the left is for power drum brakes and the right non power drums.

But I have been wrong before!

Ed

Re: '69 master cylinder cover interchange - 01/12/12 02:49 PM

Quote:

If I am not mistaken? The one on the left is for power drum brakes and the right non power drums.

Ed

i don't think there is any difference in power or manual master cylinders using drum brakes. disc brakes had a different master cylinder.

Re: '69 master cylinder cover interchange - 01/12/12 03:08 PM

Quote:

Ed

Ed, the one on the left is 1971 and newer drum brakes - regardless if power or manual

The one on the right is 1967 thru 1970 drum brakes - regardless if manual or power

Although they will interchange and function as an assembly with no problems,,, the parts of each are unique to each other and are not interchangable
Posted By: pushbutton

Re: '69 master cylinder cover interchange - 01/12/12 09:11 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know if the two hump m/c cylinder cover, drum brake, will fit the after market m/c, which comes with the inverted bathtub cover. [/quote

Yes,if you mean the cover with the raised top with a center bolt.

Re: '69 master cylinder cover interchange - 01/12/12 09:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Does anyone know if the two hump m/c cylinder cover, drum brake, will fit the after market m/c, which comes with the inverted bathtub cover. [/quote

Yes,if you mean the cover with the raised top with a center bolt.

Posted By: BTTG

Re: '69 master cylinder cover interchange - 01/12/12 09:17 PM

so this cap

http://www.beaparts.com/showlargeimage.aspx?id=236-MCC&filetype=large%20image

fits this master cylinder (attached), which from the discussion is a non-original replacement or at least now has a non original cover (car is power drums)

Attached picture 7014950-MC.jpg

Re: '69 master cylinder cover interchange - 01/12/12 10:06 PM

Quote:

so this cap

http://www.beaparts.com/showlargeimage.aspx?id=236-MCC&filetype=large%20image

fits this master cylinder (attached), which from the discussion is a non-original replacement or at least now has a non original cover (car is power drums)

this picture helps me understand the OP's question. they should interchange.

Re: '69 master cylinder cover interchange - 01/12/12 10:11 PM

I have a couple original mopar drum brake master cylinders and one or 2 of the aftermkt masters with the single hump lid.
Over the weekend , I'll pull the lids off one of each and see if they interchange with no issues.

Re: '69 master cylinder cover interchange - 01/13/12 06:11 PM

Quote:

I have a couple original mopar drum brake master cylinders and one or 2 of the aftermkt masters with the single hump lid.
Over the weekend , I'll pull the lids off one of each and see if they interchange with no issues.

Posted By: BTTG

Re: '69 master cylinder cover interchange - 01/13/12 06:19 PM

Without falling into possibly being tricked by the cap how can you tell if the master cylinder is original (original type) for a 69?

stampings on the MC body?

Re: '69 master cylinder cover interchange - 01/13/12 06:29 PM

Quote:

Without falling into possibly being tricked by the cap how can you tell if the master cylinder is original (original type) for a 69?

stampings on the MC body?

Yes, stampings along the bottom & front. The new replacement I bought from Napa in '78 had that extra little bump right on the front & originals don't have that so it's easy to spot. It did come with that cap though which looks just like an original, even down to the bolt head having that funny little 'H'.

Re: '69 master cylinder cover interchange - 01/13/12 06:45 PM

This is the original one out of either my 70 or possibly '69 car. I have 1/2 dozen in boxes. Never throw anything away!

Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: '69 master cylinder cover interchange - 01/13/12 06:56 PM

The originals were manufactured by Bendix (not to be confused with the Bendix aftermarket that sells brake parts now, AFAIK everything the current Bendix sells is just other manufacturers product they put in their labeled boxes to sell to their customers). There are several casting numbers found on original Bendix master cylinders. The 2660809 casting number shown in a previous post along with 2225601 are the 2 most commonly found Bendix casting numbers found on these master cylinders, however I've also seen some that just have the letters "AANF" cast on the bottom.
© 2024 Moparts Forums