Moparts

'70 Charger RT engine/trans stampings

Posted By: 70440+6bbl

'70 Charger RT engine/trans stampings - 12/08/11 05:01 AM

I think the car is legit, but the engine # is very odd... They are in an unrestored car and the fellow just cleaned the pads off to check the #'s for me.

Posted By: 70gtx440dana

Re: '70 Charger RT engine/trans stampings - 12/08/11 06:13 AM

Looks OK to me.....Ma Mopar was not always nice and neat with these type of operations. My transmission is hardly legible in comparison to this one.
Posted By: BS27R1B

Re: '70 Charger RT engine/trans stampings - 12/08/11 07:19 AM

They look good but boy the stamp set shifted from engine to transmission stamping!
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: '70 Charger RT engine/trans stampings - 12/08/11 01:21 PM

Man... Did that Charger participate in the MUD RUN 500 before it was parked? Looks like the block is caked with mud..

Good luck..
Posted By: 68RRFlyer

Re: '70 Charger RT engine/trans stampings - 12/08/11 02:40 PM

Yup, I'd say if it's even and legible, it's a FAKE!

The stamping on my 69 RT/SE is a double stamp and looks like the "Shaker" stickers under the 70's E-Bodys hood. My eyes hurt looking at it. Good find!

Cheers

Re: '70 Charger RT engine/trans stampings - 12/08/11 03:53 PM

Usually, I find that the eng/trans stampings match each other. This one isn't even close. I have have seen plenty of double strikes also.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: '70 Charger RT engine/trans stampings - 12/08/11 06:09 PM

Need better/bigger pictures. Since the engine and trans were stamped at the same time they SHOULD match.

Re: '70 Charger RT engine/trans stampings - 12/08/11 09:36 PM

John, the car is on e-bay right now. I was interested until I had him check the upper support #'s and he couldn't find any (first tip off was the 22" radiator). So, the car took a shot in the front at one time and whatever shop worked on the car, replaced the rad suppot with one from a 22" car.

Re: '70 Charger RT engine/trans stampings - 12/08/11 09:41 PM

Here is the trans stmaping on a St.Louis '71 GTX I used to own. The #'s were also stamped on an angle. Non-original engine in that car, so no idea if they were stamped the same.

Attached picture 6957174-100_5589.jpg

Re: '70 Charger RT engine/trans stampings - 12/08/11 10:14 PM

Quote:

Here is the trans stmaping on a St.Louis '71 GTX I used to own. The #'s were also stamped on an angle. Non-original engine in that car, so no idea if they were stamped the same.

The engine are trans are stamped after they are assembled together ,before installation in the body, by the same person using the same tool , unless the tool breaks for some odd reason in between going from one item to the other ????
Posted By: MMC Detroit

Re: '70 Charger RT engine/trans stampings - 12/09/11 12:41 AM

What is the casting and assembly date on the block.

The trans looks okay. I need to see a larger and clear photo of the engine pad. The engine stamp is not the norm. It is odd but needs further review.
Posted By: moparfan53

Re: '70 Charger RT engine/trans stampings - 12/09/11 02:18 AM

I took the 3 pics on the ebay listing and arranged them close together, thinking it might help for comparison. It may or may not.

Attached picture 6957602-70RTvin.jpg

Re: '70 Charger RT engine/trans stampings - 12/09/11 02:29 AM

Without seeing it in person it is very difficult to say. However, I'm leaning toward it beign the real deal stamp. The broach marks are in place and the font size and style appears to be correct. It would be good to see the engine assembly information and casting date.

Was the VIN ever found on the LH rear deck lid seal lip?

Re: '70 Charger RT engine/trans stampings - 12/09/11 02:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The engine are trans are stamped after they are assembled together ,before installation in the body, by the same person using the same tool , unless the tool breaks for some odd reason in between going from one item to the other ????

I agree most of the time. However, there are exceptions. Here is a perfect stamp match as described.

Attached picture 6957633-VINMMC.jpg
Posted By: convx4

Re: '70 Charger RT engine/trans stampings - 12/09/11 02:43 AM

They have mixed letters and numbers. There are O's in place of 0's. The 1's are upside down on the block. These are two stamps are different. In my opinion the block is the fake.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: '70 Charger RT engine/trans stampings - 12/09/11 02:53 AM

Not an original stamping on the block. Ask him for the casting & engine assembly dates also just for fun.

Re: '70 Charger RT engine/trans stampings - 12/09/11 02:56 AM

Quote:

They have mixed letters and numbers. There are O's in place of 0's. The 1's are upside down on the block. These are two stamps are different. In my opinion the block is the fake.

I noticed the same details and do not disagree. Something happended between the eng and trans stamp process. But I have seen strange variations on real cars. There are many more details that have to be checked out to be 100% sure.
Posted By: hemi70se

Re: '70 Charger RT engine/trans stampings - 12/09/11 02:58 AM

That trans stamp is the real deal, but that motor sure IS NOT. It's way too sloppy, both #1's are UPSIDE DOWN,and the "0" is actually an "O". I do see the broach marks which are legit, which leads me to believe the block was a replacement block that origianlly was BLANK. The casting date will tell more.
Posted By: rayztoy

Re: '70 Charger RT engine/trans stampings - 12/09/11 03:12 AM

Quote:

They have mixed letters and numbers. There are O's in place of 0's. The 1's are upside down on the block. These are two stamps are different.

The two 8's are different in style... the top circle is smaller on the block compared to the trans.

Re: '70 Charger RT engine/trans stampings - 12/09/11 05:33 AM

I don't know, I am starting to really think it is legit... If it was a warranty/blank pad, it would not have the top id pad stamped with the assembly date like this. I have seen plenty of restamps, usually they are way to neat (but, wrong font and lack the broaching marks,etc). I don't think anyone would go through the trouble of restamping a block and then intentionally put the numeral 1's upside down... What if the gang holder fell on the floor and the guy stamping the block just through it back together quickly with the letters and #'s all jumbled up?

Attached picture 6957927-70chargerrt.jpg

Re: '70 Charger RT engine/trans stampings - 12/09/11 05:36 AM

Quote:

Without seeing it in person it is very difficult to say. However, I'm leaning toward it beign the real deal stamp. The broach marks are in place and the font size and style appears to be correct. It would be good to see the engine assembly information and casting date.

Was the VIN ever found on the LH rear deck lid seal lip?

Yes, the trunk lip VIN is there and legit. The floors still have pristine original EB7 paint on them under the original dry rotted carpet.

Re: '70 Charger RT engine/trans stampings - 12/09/11 05:39 AM

Engine EAD is right in line with the cars SPD.

Attached picture 6957936-70chargerrttag.jpg

Re: '70 Charger RT engine/trans stampings - 12/09/11 06:39 AM

Quote:

I don't know, I am starting to really think it is legit... If it was a warranty/blank pad, it would not have the top id pad stamped with the assembly date like this. I have seen plenty of restamps, usually they are way to neat (but, wrong font and lack the broaching marks,etc). I don't think anyone would go through the trouble of restamping a block and then intentionally put the numeral 1's upside down... What if the gang holder fell on the floor and the guy stamping the block just through it back together quickly with the letters and #'s all jumbled up?

The top pad here is definitely factory stamps , a Warranty or service repalacement engine would not have like that unless one was needed somewhere in a hurry and they grabbed one from the production sequence line.

The engine and trans on this car in question were not stamped by the same set of stamps.

WHY ???
Posted By: THESHAKERPROJECT

Re: '70 Charger RT engine/trans stampings - 12/09/11 06:13 PM

Quote:

Without seeing it in person it is very difficult to say. However, I'm leaning toward it beign the real deal stamp. The broach marks are in place and the font size and style appears to be correct. ........................................ How did the 1 get upside down...twice?? The font for the 0 4 8 look way different to me. The spacing appears random but this may be the angle of the pic. If this is orig, it must be hard to spot a fake.
Posted By: 5wndwcpe

Re: '70 Charger RT engine/trans stampings - 12/10/11 09:46 PM

SOLD

$18,500

Re: '70 Charger RT engine/trans stampings - 12/12/11 06:25 AM

Quote:

SOLD

$18,500

Yup, LOTS of cars selling lately... Two really neat B-body projects that were listed in the B-cars for sale forum here sold in less than a day. I personally know of several more.
© 2024 Moparts Forums