Moparts

Tracing My Cars History - Help Needed

Posted By: The Rebel

Tracing My Cars History - Help Needed - 04/27/21 10:12 AM

Hey all. New member here but a long time member over at FBBO. Seems I've hit a dead end looking for the history on my car so I'm casting a larger net in the hopes someone might know my car.

I know it's a long shot but need a contact as I'm trying to find what dealership sold my car in MI.

1968 Dodge Charger VIN XP29H8B265809

Just an added note, I'm not looking to find a lost car I'm looking for the history of the car that I own.

Past Research
I reached out to the City of Livonia, where I bought my car and where the PO bought it as well. They don't keep any records, tax, DMV...etc...

I reached out to the Archives of Michigan/Michigan History Center, then the Detroit Historical Society. No dice there.

I spoke to the Sec. Of State's office (they run the DMV) and they told me they only have records going back to 2006, anything older than that is destroyed. So I said what the heck & filled out some forms to do a title search and hit some pay dirt.

I was able to get back 2 owners ago and the forms contained his full name & address. I tried using Yellow Pages + other online websites but all of them you have to pay for the info. I decided to call the operator & gave them the info I had & in no time I had his number.

Bill and I spoke and he told me the below info. If anyone has any recollections of seeing my car in Livonia, I'd love to know more from you.

1. Bill was either the 2nd or 3rd owner. He bought the car in 1984 in Livonia for about $1,225-$1,250.

2. The car was original miles, I got it with 78,xxx.

3. The guy he bought it from was a toolmaker, named Jim who worked at one of the Dodge plants. Apparently his son took the car out & ripped out the exhaust system going over some RR tracks. The exhaust system was redone but the pipes went under the rear axle not over it, so he took it to a place called Dave's Exhaust over on Michigan Ave to be redone correctly. Talked to Dave but no dice there either.

4. Bill had Paul Hatton do the pin stripes.

5. The car was raced at Telegraph Rd.

6. Talked to a PI in MI on Friday, turns out he's Mopar fan. He did some checking for me at no charge and wasn't able to get any other info than what I had.

"I am not finding anything beyond what you already have for your Dodge. The Secretary of State Title History is usually my go-to, but since you already have that I ran the DMV database (registration & title by VIN and plate) and only find your record of ownership and the prior owner, nothing beyond that. The SOS Title History is the search to run, and matches what I can get even with our DPPA access. At the end of the day, the records do only go back so far no matter your level of access."

Attached picture 1026618-6a4ecd9bc739b45475f1c28fecab0b96.png
Attached picture 1026619-0ab2cfff362fca428b91ed2c29e91371.png
Posted By: 1972CudaV21

Re: Tracing My Cars History - Help Needed - 04/29/21 04:48 PM

Good Luck with your search. I hope to see your car around town. I live on the SW line in Vernon.

Re: Tracing My Cars History - Help Needed - 04/30/21 09:48 AM

Thanks. I'm down on the shoreline in the New Haven area. Hoping to make the MIM show in May.
Posted By: SV_MOPARS

Re: Tracing My Cars History - Help Needed - 04/30/21 08:21 PM

Love that signature of yours. "THE WAR OF NORTHERN AGRESSION" should be taught for what it was really about.

Re: Tracing My Cars History - Help Needed - 04/30/21 11:13 PM

Thanks! I was a Confederate Civil War Re-Enactor for 12 years (1989-2001).
Posted By: SV_MOPARS

Re: Tracing My Cars History - Help Needed - 05/01/21 03:05 PM

When i move to Tennessee i might have to get involved in something like that, will be there in a couple of weeks to have a look see at some properties and enjoy some southern hospitality!

Re: Tracing My Cars History - Help Needed - 04/09/23 12:09 PM

Pretty cool site on FB, https://www.facebook.com/lostmusclecars.

Thinking of posting over there to see if anyone might know the history of my car.
© 2024 Moparts Forums