Moparts

Lifting car with subframe connectors?

Posted By: RTSE4ME

Lifting car with subframe connectors? - 12/05/11 10:07 PM

I installed a set a Hotchkis subframe connectors that were part of the TVS kit. Since installing them, I use them as the rear lift point on my mohawk lift. Noticed that one of the connectors is dented in pretty good and has a bulge on the side. Should I not be using the connectors as lift points?
Might of used my floor jack to lift the car once also.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Lifting car with subframe connectors? - 12/05/11 10:31 PM

If they're that weak they arent doing much for the
chassis... yes I would quit lifting there
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Lifting car with subframe connectors? - 12/05/11 10:35 PM

No you shouldn't use them, too bad they didn't tell you that in the instructions.

Being a lifting point and increasing torsional rigidity are two different things so it ain't necessarily so that they weren't doing what they were supposed to.

R.

Of course, welding in a 2" X 3" X 1/4" wall steel tube would give you both, as well as a lot of road-hugging weight!
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Lifting car with subframe connectors? - 12/06/11 12:43 AM

Id accept the extra few lbs for the added regidity. They sure firmed up my chassis flex in my 75 Duster racecar and I only used 1/8 wall..

Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: Lifting car with subframe connectors? - 12/06/11 04:23 PM

hmmm....I do have the US car tool ones sitting here. They look a bit thicker than the Hotchkis ones. I chose to install the Hotchkis connectors since they were really easy to install and I like that they tie into the front spring hanger. The US Car Tools ones would be a pain to fit since I have the brackets for a 6 way seat.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Lifting car with subframe connectors? - 12/06/11 04:31 PM

Quote:

Id accept the extra few lbs for the added regidity. They sure firmed up my chassis flex in my 75 Duster racecar and I only used 1/8 wall..

Thats all I use to build connectors for customer cars
and you can use them as a jack point.... some of
the light weight connectors are in the .090 range
which is a bit thin to me
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Lifting car with subframe connectors? - 12/06/11 04:32 PM

I wouldn't jack up a car using any sub-frame connector, that's not what they are designed for.
Posted By: radar

Re: Lifting car with subframe connectors? - 12/06/11 08:12 PM

1/4" wall tubing?! Geez! I used 1/8" wall 2x3 its gotta be the strongest thing on the roller short of the brake pedal. I jack from there all the time.
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: Lifting car with subframe connectors? - 12/06/11 08:33 PM

1/8" square tube here too. It doesn't go anywhere when I jack the car up.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Lifting car with subframe connectors? - 12/06/11 08:43 PM

maybe it's an A-body thing. Not a chance I'd jack this pig up via the connectors.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Lifting car with subframe connectors? - 12/06/11 10:37 PM

My reference to 1/4" wall tubing was an attempt to illustrate a ridiculous extreme. I don't think using metal a lot thicker than the existing "frame members" gets you anything.
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: Lifting car with subframe connectors? - 12/06/11 11:42 PM

Quote:

maybe it's an A-body thing. Not a chance I'd jack this pig up via the connectors.

Not just an A-body thing. My Duster is heavy too. That tubing is very strong. 1/8" square stock steel welded to each frame rail.
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: Lifting car with subframe connectors? - 12/07/11 02:58 AM

Quote:

My reference to 1/4" wall tubing was an attempt to illustrate a ridiculous extreme. I don't think using metal a lot thicker than the existing "frame members" gets you anything.

For using them as a lifting point, a thinner wall wouldn't be as rigid.

I used thick wall rectangular 1.5x3 tubing and use it as a jack point all the time (67 Dart).
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Lifting car with subframe connectors? - 12/07/11 03:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

For using them as a lifting point, a thinner wall wouldn't be as rigid.

I used thick wall rectangular 1.5x3 tubing and use it as a jack point all the time (67 Dart).

Posted By: Pyper70

Re: Lifting car with subframe connectors? - 12/08/11 01:05 PM

If you go, you go all in for the connectors. Mine are 2x2 with 1/4" wall. They have been on there since 1993. Still one of the toughest part of the suspension. I never use it as a lift point. Always from the K-Member or the rear axle. Never used a jack stand on them either.
Posted By: babarracuda

Re: Lifting car with subframe connectors? - 12/08/11 03:07 PM

I have 3/16 wall C material that the privious owner put on. I don't have any problems although I usually use the K member or rear end housing. They have been on the car for over twenty years.
Posted By: Hotchkis

Re: Lifting car with subframe connectors? - 12/09/11 07:49 AM

Quote:

I installed a set a Hotchkis subframe connectors that were part of the TVS kit. Since installing them, I use them as the rear lift point on my mohawk lift. Noticed that one of the connectors is dented in pretty good and has a bulge on the side. Should I not be using the connectors as lift points?
Might of used my floor jack to lift the car once also.

We created the subframe connectors to attach the front subframe to the hard points on the rear of the unibody, adding torsional rigidity. They’re really designed to prevent body flex and keep all four tire contact patches squarely on the ground so the suspension can do its job. Because there is a gap between the top of the SFC and the belly of the car, and the SFC is only attached at the front and rear, it does not make an ideal jack point. We would recommend sticking with factory hard points for jacking up the car.
© 2024 Moparts Forums