Moparts

what is the difference between a 68 and 69 RR hood?

Posted By: mopar_leaner

what is the difference between a 68 and 69 RR hood? - 12/02/11 07:00 PM

we are trying to make sure we buy the right hood for a 68 Hemi Road Runner that is being restored. We now have two hoods to choose from, But don't know the difference between them.
thanks Moparts
Posted By: B_Body_Bob

Re: what is the difference between a 68 and 69 RR hood? - 12/02/11 07:06 PM

Got the vents on it? 68s point up, 69s to the side.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: what is the difference between a 68 and 69 RR hood? - 12/02/11 07:11 PM

Quote:

It's the other way around , also a 68 hood is closed off under the scoop bezels , a 69 there are opening so if the car is equipped wit han Air Grabber the air can pass thru to the ductwork.

68 scoops will bolt onto a 69 hood . to put 69 scoops on a 68 hood you have to at minimum drill a few holes to clear screw heads on the scoops themselves.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: what is the difference between a 68 and 69 RR hood? - 12/02/11 07:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It's the other way around , also a 68 hood is closed off under the scoop bezels , a 69 there are opening so if the car is equipped wit han Air Grabber the air can pass thru to the ductwork.

68 scoops will bolt onto a 69 hood . to put 69 scoops on a 68 hood you have to at minimum drill a few holes to clear screw heads on the scoops themselves.

Posted By: Part_Stalker

Re: what is the difference between a 68 and 69 RR hood? - 12/02/11 08:32 PM

On a related subject, is there a difference between the scoops and vents for a 69 hood with or without the air grabber set up? I picked up some this summer in a deal and noticed there was a difference in the screen pattern. Not being fluent in RR's I never thought of that detail. I did make sure she got the set for her 68 though.
Posted By: B_Body_Bob

Re: what is the difference between a 68 and 69 RR hood? - 12/02/11 09:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It's the other way around

Oops my mistake.
Posted By: 68jim

Re: what is the difference between a 68 and 69 RR hood? - 12/02/11 09:43 PM

Here is a shot of a 68 hood showing that there is no cutout under the side facing scoops.

Jim

Attached picture 6947290-Bodyshop11n.jpg

Re: what is the difference between a 68 and 69 RR hood? - 12/02/11 09:47 PM

With scoops and black out paint...

Attached picture 6947298-P2010078.JPG

Re: what is the difference between a 68 and 69 RR hood? - 12/02/11 10:26 PM

Quote:

On a related subject, is there a difference between the scoops and vents for a 69 hood with or without the air grabber set up? I picked up some this summer in a deal and noticed there was a difference in the screen pattern. Not being fluent in RR's I never thought of that detail. I did make sure she got the set for her 68 though.

yes and no , the scoops are the same, no air grabber has a ribbed solid block off plate ... for it's pleasure ... air grabber has a screen .
Posted By: bigblock340power

Re: what is the difference between a 68 and 69 RR hood? - 12/02/11 11:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

yes and no , the scoops are the same, no air grabber has a ribbed solid block off plate ... for it's pleasure ... air grabber has a screen .

Arn't all the '69 hood vent screens (ram air) painted red from the factory? I seam to remember this when I was into RR's.
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: what is the difference between a 68 and 69 RR hood? - 12/02/11 11:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Arn't all the '69 hood vent screens (ram air) painted red from the factory? I seam to remember this when I was into RR's.

Ahhh; the red vs. black air grabber screen debate again......hang on, I need to grab a beer.

...OK, I'm ready now.

Dave
Posted By: Part_Stalker

Re: what is the difference between a 68 and 69 RR hood? - 12/03/11 12:15 AM

Didn't mean to stir up the pot. I will have to pull them off the shelf and look at them closer. If I remember right on one set the screens are diamond shape and the other set they are round. Maybe someone made a custom set.
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: what is the difference between a 68 and 69 RR hood? - 12/03/11 12:20 AM

Don't worry about stirring the pot! I just remember a "spirited" debate last time this came up and was looking forward to the sequel!

Dave

Re: what is the difference between a 68 and 69 RR hood? - 12/03/11 12:57 AM

ok, I think I'm understanding it,a 68 with the side scoops out, can't see through, but a 69 you can.
right?
Posted By: topside

Re: what is the difference between a 68 and 69 RR hood? - 12/03/11 02:07 AM

Yup, '68 "scoops" are solid, basically an appearance item.
Many years ago, I bought an early (9/30/67 SPD) Roadrunner, and the guy had a '69 hood. We tried using the '69 hood on the car, but either the striker or secondary latch didn't line up with the '68 location. I used another '68 hood and it fit perfectly.
The Air Grabber screens on my '69 St. Louis RRs were a red-orange, and a square basketweave. I'd never seen them in black until the post already referred to.

Re: what is the difference between a 68 and 69 RR hood? - 12/03/11 02:19 AM

I pulled this picture off the web - not mine - This would be the 69 style that has the open area under the scoops to mate up with the fresh air ducting. This is the reproduction hood that is currently available.

Attached picture 6947765-69rrhood.jpg

Re: what is the difference between a 68 and 69 RR hood? - 12/03/11 02:36 PM

Quote:

ok, I think I'm understanding it,a 68 with the side scoops out, can't see through, but a 69 you can.
right?

Only if it has air grabber screens , otherwise it has a ribbed block off plate .

Re: what is the difference between a 68 and 69 RR hood? - 12/03/11 02:36 PM

Quote:

Didn't mean to stir up the pot. I will have to pull them off the shelf and look at them closer. If I remember right on one set the screens are diamond shape and the other set they are round. Maybe someone made a custom set.

I don't remember seeing different style air grabber screens , but you never know all depends on the vendor I suppose ?

Re: what is the difference between a 68 and 69 RR hood? - 12/03/11 10:00 PM

so 68s never had the air grabber option?

Re: what is the difference between a 68 and 69 RR hood? - 12/03/11 11:02 PM

Quote:

so 68s never had the air grabber option?

No
Posted By: TooMany62s

Re: what is the difference between a 68 and 69 RR hood? - 12/04/11 02:35 AM

'69 has the latch in a different location than '68.

Re: what is the difference between a 68 and 69 RR hood? - 12/04/11 06:43 PM

ok, hood latch different locations and with side scoops out, 68 blocked and 69 opened, you can see through it. Thank you so much for all of your help with this matter as both hoods we have, I believe to be 69's.

thanks again,
Rex
Posted By: challengermike

Re: what is the difference between a 68 and 69 RR hood? - 12/05/11 03:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ahhh; the red vs. black air grabber screen debate again......hang on, I need to grab a beer.

...OK, I'm ready now.

Dave

My 69 GTX had the block off plates that were black,is that may be why some people were confused?
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: what is the difference between a 68 and 69 RR hood? - 12/05/11 05:20 AM

Q: Re: what is the difference between a 68 and 69 RR hood?

A: Only one year.

(Sorry - had to say it. I've been tempted to since first reading the subject title a few days ago!)
Posted By: dan9

Re: what is the difference between a 68 and 69 RR hood? - 12/05/11 03:52 PM

I think only 69 hoods have the holes for the air grabber duct work under the hood. i believe 68's don't
Posted By: A12

Re: what is the difference between a 68 and 69 RR hood? - 12/05/11 04:01 PM

Quote:

Yup, '68 "scoops" are solid, basically an appearance item.
Many years ago, I bought an early (9/30/67 SPD) Roadrunner, and the guy had a '69 hood. We tried using the '69 hood on the car, but either the striker or secondary latch didn't line up with the '68 location. I used another '68 hood and it fit perfectly.
The Air Grabber screens on my '69 St. Louis RRs were a red-orange, and a square basketweave. I'd never seen them in black until the post already referred to.

If that's the case then it is true that late model year '68 rr/GTX hoods did start to have the additional cutouts for the '69 Air Grabber. My '68 rr with a 402 (April 02, '68) SPD had cutouts on the underside of the hood (like the black hood images in the previous post) for the AG. The hood latch worked and was correct for a '68. So if it's true that the '68 hood latch is different than a '69 (I know it is) then Chrysler did start to change over just like the '70 bottom K-frame change on the later '69 models (ie., A12's have this '69/'70 type K-frame).

MikeR
© 2024 Moparts Forums