Moparts

Need help with dianosing my 99 Ram

Posted By: 71rm23

Need help with dianosing my 99 Ram - 12/01/11 12:24 PM

I have a 99 Ram with a 5.9 L. It started fine and I drove it for a little while. Then all of the sudden, it died. It took awhile to start it but when I put the truck in gear, dies again. Also, the check engine light came on then.

I didnt have a chance to look at it because I was in a hurry to run an errand. My guess is a dead cell in the battery, and or going bad. I will use a meter to check voltage and probably take it out to have a load test done on it. Is there anything I might be missing?

Thanks
Posted By: teflon

Re: Need help with dianosing my 99 Ram - 12/01/11 01:08 PM

Check the code, my guess is crank sensor.

Re: Need help with dianosing my 99 Ram - 12/01/11 01:12 PM

Quote:

Check the code, my guess is crank sensor.

Would that keep it from running? I had that replaced a few years ago. That sensor is on the back of the block, between the block and tranny, correct?
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Need help with dianosing my 99 Ram - 12/01/11 02:32 PM

yes,back of black at the trans bellhousing
Posted By: White440

Re: Need help with dianosing my 99 Ram - 12/01/11 10:58 PM

Quote:

I have a 99 Ram with a 5.9 L. It started fine and I drove it for a little while. Then all of the sudden, it died. It took awhile to start it but when I put the truck in gear, dies again. Also, the check engine light came on then.

I didnt have a chance to look at it because I was in a hurry to run an errand. My guess is a dead cell in the battery, and or going bad. I will use a meter to check voltage and probably take it out to have a load test done on it. Is there anything I might be missing?

Thanks

Did you have to recharge the battery after the first time it died? I would check code because the the alt should put out enough to maintain the trucks running needs by its self.
Posted By: Tadams

Re: Need help with dianosing my 99 Ram - 12/02/11 03:39 AM

I had basically the same problem with mine. I had it towed to the garage and then it started perfectly after leaving me on the side of the road. 2 days later they called and said it was fixed and it was the crank sensor. Mine would only show a code when it would act up, but no code when it would start ok.
Good luck with your problem.
Posted By: 4boxers4

Re: Need help with dianosing my 99 Ram - 12/03/11 03:18 AM

Quote:

any auto parts store will read the code for you. THEN...change out parts.

Thanks

Re: Need help with dianosing my 99 Ram - 12/03/11 04:46 AM

Found out its the crank sensor....AAAAUUUUGGGHHH!!!!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums