Moparts

bulkhead connector

Posted By: BTTG

bulkhead connector - 11/29/11 02:36 AM

picture of my bulkhead connector attached.

Do I need to replace this bulkhead connector? the main 10 gauge wire was worn (frayed) on the interior side near the bulkhead . I have unwrapped the harness and replaced this wire. so the problem that caused the bulkhead to melt should be gone?

If i should replace the bulkhead connector where can i get one? looked on several sites and couldn't find these, the original drivers compartment harness is in really good shape so I am not replacing that to get the new bulkhead.

If i can reuse this bulkhead connector is there a way to "fill in" the opening a bit to help locate the female connector (interior side) to facilitate getting the engine harness aligned and able to mate with the bulkhead connector more easily?

Thanks in advance

Attached picture 6941032-bulkhead.jpg
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: bulkhead connector - 11/29/11 03:00 AM

Do not know what car it is off of but if there is a dash harness available for it, the connector is included. Whether you replace it or not is up to you. You can wire around the cavity that is burned up. Even though I do not know what car it came from I am betting it either was the feed to the ammeter or the feed from it. On police package alternators, this cavity was not used and the wires went through a grommet on the firewall with no connections.
Craig
Posted By: lahatte

Re: bulkhead connector - 11/29/11 03:08 AM

You might call Evans Wiring. http://www.evanswiring.com/default.htm

He has some types of connectors, as I recall.
Posted By: 70Duster440

Re: bulkhead connector - 11/29/11 05:13 AM

I'm gonna say that cavity is the black power feed from the alternator on an a-body. Commom problem area. The terminal overheated due to excessive resistance. You might consider an ammeter bypass mod. At the very least read about what's going on or went on to cause this here: http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

Evans has this half of the connector and the individual male plugs available.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: bulkhead connector - 11/29/11 06:21 AM

Quote:

Any idea what Evans sells a bare bulkhead for? I need one for my 68 Barracuda.

Re: bulkhead connector - 11/29/11 07:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Any idea what Evans sells a bare bulkhead for? I need one for my 68 Barracuda.

Been awhile. Seems like he quoted me $50-55. Best to call him to know for sure. The male plugs are $10/ea. (I needed those).

Re: bulkhead connector - 11/29/11 07:45 AM

Quote:

If i can reuse this bulkhead connector is there a way to "fill in" the opening a bit to help locate the female connector (interior side) to facilitate getting the engine harness aligned and able to mate with the bulkhead connector more easily?

Worse case, you could trim off the smooshed-out plastic, reconnect the plug from the engine side, then push the wire/terminal through the hole from inside and use a pair of needle nose pliers to firmly seat it on the spade. I'd just spring for a new one.

Course, next time you remove the plug it will want to pull the wire through the bulkhead.
Posted By: Swiss_Robert

Re: bulkhead connector - 11/29/11 10:53 AM

I went through this already.

May be you want to see: My old thread about it

In my eyes NachoRT74 was/is the guru for that.
Posted By: BTTG

Re: bulkhead connector - 11/29/11 12:44 PM

Sorry forgot to mention car is a 69 b-body
© 2024 Moparts Forums