Moparts

ARP main bolts / studs

Posted By: Chal340

ARP main bolts / studs - 11/24/11 11:22 PM

What's the difference between bolt ARP 140-5001 and stud ARP 140-5401? Studs center caps not bolts?
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: ARP main bolts / studs - 11/25/11 12:44 AM

studs have more clamping force than bolts
Posted By: RBSat66

Re: ARP main bolts / studs - 11/25/11 06:20 AM

You also need to check line bore on Main caps if you change to studs, because they have and more clamping pressure on the main caps from what I've been told.
Posted By: dodgeboy11

Re: ARP main bolts / studs - 11/25/11 06:35 AM

The studs use more of the threads in the block which puts a different stress on the main saddles. Sometimes it changes nothing, sometimes it needs to be addressed.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: ARP main bolts / studs - 11/25/11 07:13 AM

Quote:

What's the difference between bolt ARP 140-5001 and stud ARP 140-5401? Studs center caps not bolts?

About $30
The studs are stronger, 200,000 psi vs 180,000 psi for the bolts and will have a higher clamping force.
The bolts are pretty nice. I have them on my small block to clear the oil pump (studs don't clear the oil pump on a small block), but I use the studs on my big blocks.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: ARP main bolts / studs - 11/25/11 07:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

About $30
The studs are stronger, 200,000 psi vs 180,000 psi for the bolts and will have a higher clamping force.
The bolts are pretty nice. I have them on my small block to clear the oil pump (studs don't clear the oil pump on a small block), but I use the studs on my big blocks.

I got a stud on my small block. Troy modified the nut by slightly rounding the nut and then shortening the stud exactly to the height of the nut.

Attached picture 6935262-CopyofPICT3436.JPG
Posted By: Chal340

Re: ARP main bolts / studs - 11/25/11 12:11 PM

Thanks, so with bolts, it's not necessary to line hone main caps? I will check if it's ok or not.
ARP bolts are better than stock bolts?
Posted By: therocks

Re: ARP main bolts / studs - 11/25/11 12:33 PM

ARP are better than stock.Typically you dont need line hone when using them as they are just stronger.I use studs in my builds.Rocky

Re: ARP main bolts / studs - 11/25/11 10:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

About $30

I got a stud on my small block. Troy modified the nut by slightly rounding the nut and then shortening the stud exactly to the height of the nut.

This is what we do on sb's
Posted By: lucky13

Re: ARP main bolts / studs - 11/26/11 02:54 AM

When you shorten/round over the nut that goes under the oil pump, do you do it by hand or a lathe? Any pics showing how much?

Re: ARP main bolts / studs - 11/26/11 04:21 PM

Quote:

When you shorten/round over the nut that goes under the oil pump, do you do it by hand or a lathe? Any pics showing how much?

I just shorten the stud and use a 12 point ARP nut and it clears just fine.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: ARP main bolts / studs - 11/26/11 04:29 PM

Well, now.........
If the stud and the bolt are the same diameter and the same length and are torqued to the same amount they will have the SAME clamping force. It's simple material science. As long as the stud and the bolt are within their elastic limit it doesn't matter what strength they are. The clamping force is determined by the modulus of elasticity of the bolt material and all steels are pretty much the same.

The stud engages more of the threads in the block and you don't get the same wear of the threads because after you turn them in the wear occurs at the nut end. Studs are generally considered to be better but they can be a pain to work around, especially on heads.

R.

Re: ARP main bolts / studs - 11/26/11 04:46 PM

Quote:

Well, now.........
If the stud and the bolt are the same diameter and the same length and are torqued to the same amount they will have the SAME clamping force. It's simple material science. As long as the stud and the bolt are within their elastic limit it doesn't matter what strength they are. The clamping force is determined by the modulus of elasticity of the bolt material and all steels are pretty much the same.

The stud engages more of the threads in the block and you don't get the same wear of the threads because after you turn them in the wear occurs at the nut end. Studs are generally considered to be better but they can be a pain to work around, especially on heads.

R.

well think what you like but I have seen more than 1 motor have problems keeping a head gasket until it had studs installed and that cured the problem and the studs where the only thing changed.
I run studs anywhere I can I even stud my oil pans.
Posted By: Alikazam

Re: ARP main bolts / studs - 11/26/11 05:22 PM

Its a lot harder to misalign that gasket if you're using studs too! Or the head... or whatever! I use studs for my valve covers also (in addition to heads, mains, oil pan 4 corners only, outter 2 header bolts, etc.). Good luck!
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: ARP main bolts / studs - 11/26/11 07:21 PM

Quote:

Stud cut hand, finshed sized by belt sander. Nut dressed chucked in drill press cut down by hand file.

This is a Milodon stud BTW.

Attached picture 6937213-11_6_10Md10.JPG
Posted By: lucky13

Re: ARP main bolts / studs - 11/26/11 08:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Stud cut hand, finshed sized by belt sander. Nut dressed chucked in drill press cut down by hand file.

This is a Milodon stud BTW.

Thank you that gives me a better idea of how much to cut it down
© 2024 Moparts Forums