Moparts

E-coating. Is it water resistant?

Posted By: 69charger440_6pa

E-coating. Is it water resistant? - 11/17/11 12:20 AM

Does anyone know if E-costing is moisture resistant? Getting ready to install some new sheet metal and need to know if I need to worry about sealing the inside of the panels.

Thanks.
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: E-coating. Is it water resistant? - 11/17/11 12:42 AM

same as paint.

basically charged paint particals disbursed in water.
they get pulled to a charged part so the entire thing is coated.
then baked.

treat it like a primered part.
Posted By: mridolfo

Re: E-coating. Is it water resistant? - 11/17/11 03:59 AM

Don't leave Ecoat in the sun for very long. The suns UV rays are harmful to the ecoat. After a period of time it will turn the finish chalkie ( spelling) and lose some of its corrosion resistance.
Posted By: 70_FJ6_RR

Re: E-coating. Is it water resistant? - 11/17/11 04:14 AM

Take the extra time now and weld coat the flanges to be welded, and put two coats of epoxy primer on the entire inside area to seal it. It's a lot easier to coat off the car.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: E-coating. Is it water resistant? - 11/17/11 01:58 PM

I was under the impression that the e-coat WAS corrosion resistant?

sure, it's easy to paint it with epoxy sealer while off the car, but, if the e-coat is a sealer, why bother with it?

"better safe than sorry" sure, but why spend money and time to do something that's "already done"? if they came primer'd in a 2-part epoxy primer sealer, would you still scuff them and spray them with your own primer/sealer?
Posted By: 70_FJ6_RR

Re: E-coating. Is it water resistant? - 11/17/11 10:52 PM

I've seen panels with etch coat, and panels with epoxy coat. Etch coat has to be sealed to keep it from rusting. The epoxy coated ones would be fine for "ready to install", but I would still strip the outside of the panel to bare metal cause I've seen it "chip" off in flakes. Also, depending on the color of the car, you may want an even coverage of color. Spend the money now and do it right the first time.
Posted By: elitecustombody

Re: E-coating. Is it water resistant? - 11/19/11 06:33 AM

To keep your mind at ease,if you're dealing with aftermarket sheetmetal, it's best to strip/sand the e-coat off and apply epoxy primer.On OEM metal you'll be fine with sanding/scuffing before primer,sealer or paint .
© 2024 Moparts Forums