Moparts

Champion radiators - any good?

Posted By: Moparmal

Champion radiators - any good? - 11/07/11 11:35 AM

Your ?

Any experiences with quality, fit service etc appreciated
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Champion radiators - any good? - 11/07/11 03:11 PM

I put one for a B-Body in my 71 Demon.I had a 71 Fury 26" copper rad in it before,so it dropped right in.Cools fine and the 26" OEM fan shroud screwed right on too.

Re: Champion radiators - any good? - 11/08/11 03:59 AM

OK thanks - Any other reviews out there?
Posted By: KY Charger

Re: Champion radiators - any good? - 11/08/11 04:33 AM

I put a three row with 2-12" fans on my 68 Charger and haven't had any problems the bolt holes on the mounting tabs on the radiator didn't line up but wasn't that big of a deal. For the money you save I'd buy another one any day.

Re: Champion radiators - any good? - 11/08/11 06:27 AM

Thanks - thats valuable info.
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Champion radiators - any good? - 11/08/11 07:28 AM

The rad I got looks great. 26", three core. Three of the four mounting bolts lined up. Other than that. it seems to fit decently. I won't know about actual cooling for a couple of weeks though.....
Posted By: 69B3GT

Re: Champion radiators - any good? - 11/08/11 09:31 AM

My dad put one in my moms barracuda...all but one mounting hole lined out (seems like a common issues?)

Works and looks great, no complaints.
Posted By: 67coronetman

Re: Champion radiators - any good? - 11/08/11 02:01 PM

Seem everyone so far has something good to say .! Well my friend put on in his car three core & it want cool at all period he has tried everything.!
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Champion radiators - any good? - 11/08/11 03:26 PM

Quote:

Well my friend put on in his car three core & it want cool at all period he has tried everything.!

More details (everything), maybe we can help him
Posted By: terzmo

Re: Champion radiators - any good? - 11/08/11 03:53 PM

Quote:

Seem everyone so far has something good to say .! Well my friend put on in his car three core & it want cool at all period he has tried everything.!

A new radiator of sufficient size is NOT the answer alone. IF the car is cooling well at highway or normal driving speeds,the rad is doing it's job. If not cooling in traffic,the rad is not getting enough airflow to cool.(this is taken un consideration a head gasket or cracked cylinder is not the issue causing heat problems) A proper fan and shroud are the two other most important parts. I had an aluminum rad, and a 6 blade fan...with shroud and it didn't work in traffic or idling. I installed a 7 blade steel clutch fan with shroud and champion rad and it cools very well.

I have used 3 champion radiators and feel they are exceelent value..best bang for the buck.

Re: Champion radiators - any good? - 11/09/11 11:49 AM

Thanks Terzmo - I intend running a shroud and a clutch fan.
Posted By: jayyohe

Re: Champion radiators - any good? - 11/10/11 02:47 AM

I have one in my 71 Demon and although I have not had the car on the road yet, I let it idle in the driveway and it seems to cool just fine.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Champion radiators - any good? - 11/10/11 03:09 AM

I love the Champs --best value out there even if they are not perfect--My last one had a little " twist" in it but a few washers and away we went COOL as a Cuke!
Posted By: 440Satellite

Re: Champion radiators - any good? - 11/10/11 03:39 AM

Just put a 26" 3 row in my 72 Duster. I bought a complete 360 from a guy who was having idleing problems as well as saying it ran hot. I think it may have been an ignition problem but I dropped it in along with the Champion rad and it never goes over 180 without a fan shroud. So I'm very impressed with the cooling. Now the bad... mine came twisted and on recomendation from the seller, I stood on the 2 corners and it did straighten it out. But now that its in the car, it has a slight leak from somewhere in the cooling fins. I'm sending it back for a replacement but it does leak. Overall I'm happy with it, theres always a chance of a defect in anything you buy.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Champion radiators - any good? - 11/11/11 05:05 PM

I just got mine last week and it looks great, nice thick construction. I went with a 4 row and the shroud and two 12" fans and all for less than $500 delivered.
Posted By: Hotwheelsjr

Re: Champion radiators - any good? - 11/11/11 06:11 PM

I have a 4-row in my Demon. Awesome radiator for the price! Now, if I didn't have a cracked head or blown head gasket I could reap the benefit of it...

I did have to bore out a couple of the holes to get it to fit right, but nothing a Dremel and five minutes couldn't handle. Otherwise, it fits great!

Posted By: Mopar Grandpa

Re: Champion radiators - any good? - 11/11/11 06:25 PM

I have no experience with the Champion radiator but from the posts it appears to be good.
I am running an alum. radiator, (2) 1 1/4" tubes , in my street Hemi cuda with no water pump fan. Car stays at 180 degrees while in motion and the electric fan kicks on at 200 degrees when stuck in traffic. Brings it back down to 180 degrees in nothing flat.
Smiths radiator out of Cambridge City, Indiana built mine and he specializes in Mopars. Don't remember the price but he produces great radiators too.

Attached picture 6914167-EPV0350.jpg
Posted By: VITC_GTX

Re: Champion radiators - any good? - 11/11/11 10:25 PM

I have a Champion in my '70 Sport Satellite with warm 383 and it's seems to work just fine. Both of the tranny cooler fittings (flare) where smashed flat under the nut that was on the fitting during shipping. This means it was done during construction/storage but I was able to get them round enough not to leak.

I just looked and Summit has a crossflow (18"X22.5" core) for $144. I have one of these in my Demon and it works very well. Construction seems to be a little higher quality (welds anyway). I called Summit and confirmed that they are welded tanks and not epoxy. They don't have petcock or mounting tabs but that's not hard or expensive to take care of.
Posted By: 67mprfan

Re: Champion radiators - any good? - 11/11/11 11:23 PM

I just recv'd mine look good i will install it this weekend

Re: Champion radiators - any good? - 11/12/11 12:39 AM

Thanks for the replies - I ordered a 3 core - $120 shipping to Australia ain't bad at all.

I'll dredge this thread up and comment when I receive it and check it out.
Posted By: 67_Satellite

Re: Champion radiators - any good? - 11/12/11 03:05 AM

I think I remember another post with this same question. I have one, it fit well except a small gap around the factory shroud. Easily fixed with some closed cell foam, runs cool and doesn't leak from the top tank like the old stocker. Good radiator for the money.
Posted By: rth

Re: Champion radiators - any good? - 11/12/11 03:36 AM

i have a 22 in my 70 coronet,very happy with it.runs cool.yeah had to open up mounting holes,no big deal.
Posted By: Dabee

Re: Champion radiators - any good? - 11/12/11 05:46 AM

I just installed a Champion four row radiator and an SRT-8 fan in my 69 Bee.

Attached picture 6915218-Rad&Fan005.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums