Moparts

Oil Pickup Clearance, touch the pan, or no?

Posted By: Scatransit

Oil Pickup Clearance, touch the pan, or no? - 10/19/11 04:34 PM

The service manual says that the bottom of the pickup should contact the bottom of the oil pan. Anyone have any opinion on this? I know the design of the housing actually keeps the screen off the bottom, but I was still curious what other's opinions might be - thanks
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Oil Pickup Clearance, touch the pan, or no? - 10/19/11 06:22 PM

NO
Need at least a quarter of an inch but less than a half inch clearance. If not flow will be restricted.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Oil Pickup Clearance, touch the pan, or no? - 10/19/11 06:34 PM

Ok for a grocery getter. a perf build 1/8"
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Oil Pickup Clearance, touch the pan, or no? - 10/19/11 06:48 PM

Small gap. You want to maximize oil flow while keeping the pickup low in the pan.
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Oil Pickup Clearance, touch the pan, or no? - 10/19/11 07:06 PM

Quote:

The service manual says that the bottom of the pickup should contact the bottom of the oil pan.

Which SM says that ?
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Oil Pickup Clearance, touch the pan, or no? - 10/19/11 07:21 PM

Have seen anything from 1/16 to nearly a half inch in performance app and not seen any problem in oil delivery or any starvation. That is why I said what I did, I don't like it anymore than a 1/4 either but touching is a no/no
Posted By: Scatransit

Re: Oil Pickup Clearance, touch the pan, or no? - 10/19/11 07:53 PM

Which SM says that ?

Page 9-65 of the '69 service Manual.
Just wondering...I have mine set at about 1/4 - 3/8".
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Oil Pickup Clearance, touch the pan, or no? - 10/19/11 09:09 PM

If you're talking about the factory style pickup there's no advantage to having a clearance under it, even with the pickup contacting the pan the channel that feeds the opening is larger than the opening so there is no restriction.

Aftermarket pickups like the Milodon must have clearance.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Oil Pickup Clearance, touch the pan, or no? - 10/19/11 10:19 PM

Years ago one of my friends believed that the pickup shouldn't touch the pan and hot bent it to get about 1/4" of clearance. About three years after this at the top of third gear, the pickup failed at the threaded end and he lost all oil pressure. Oh yeah, it was a '66 Hemi Coronet. IIRC there was just someone on Moparts that had the same thing happen, a crack at the pickup threads with the accompanying loss of oil pressure.

Without the pickup touching the pan it apparently can get into a resonance. This leads to metal fatigue at the threaded end with the eventual cracking failure. No, I'll continue putting BB's together with the pickup touching the pan.
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Oil Pickup Clearance, touch the pan, or no? - 10/19/11 10:33 PM

...MAYbe this happens ONLY in ND ? ...
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Oil Pickup Clearance, touch the pan, or no? - 10/19/11 11:25 PM

Quote:

If you're talking about the factory style pickup there's no advantage to having a clearance under it, even with the pickup contacting the pan the channel that feeds the opening is larger than the opening so there is no restriction.

John is right. The OEM pickup has a shield on the bottom that spaces the pickup properly and should touch the pan. Aftermarket pickups do not and need to be spaced up manually.
Posted By: HYPER8oSoNic

Re: Oil Pickup Clearance, touch the pan, or no? - 10/20/11 12:04 AM

Absolutely not!! It should never touch the pan, UNLESS the pickup is the OEM syle mentioned above.
Two reasons why not: Dent the oil pan at the pickup, restricted flow of oil in pump and motor. Two, break something inside the motor, the oil flow is again, restricted at the pickup.

Posted By: BSB67

Re: Oil Pickup Clearance, touch the pan, or no? - 10/20/11 12:10 AM

Quote:

Correct. Factory style can touch. Plenty of area for the oil to access the tube.

If it is aftermarket, not only should you have clearance, but add a positive spacer between the PU and pan to make sure that the pan does not get sucked up to the PU.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Oil Pickup Clearance, touch the pan, or no? - 10/20/11 12:24 AM

and a spacer would take of the resonance problem possibly causing a crack on down the line
© 2024 Moparts Forums