Moparts

how does the A/C water valve work?

Posted By: DGS

how does the A/C water valve work? - 10/03/11 08:57 AM

I recently took the water valve off of my 70 Charger with factory A/C. It's a Ranco H16 type and the pipes hold pressure (doesn't leak out of the back). But here's the thing: No matter in what position the temperature control cable is, there is flow from the inlet pipe to the outlet pipe (tested by blowing air through the pipes) - is it supposed to be that way? The only way to completely shut down the flow is to push down the tab that is connected to the vacuum pod (really hard to push down - tried sucking on the pod to create vacuum but I wasn't able to pull down the tab - pod works btw).

According to the FSM only in Max A/C and Off position there is vacuum to the pod.

I know that the 70 heater valve is a one year only deal having a vacuum pod but how do these valves work on other years? Can the water flow be shut off completely with the temp control cable?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: how does the A/C water valve work? - 10/03/11 11:55 AM

Quote:

The only way to completely shut down the flow is to push down the tab that is connected to the vacuum pod

How is that shutting down the water flow? The valve would have to shut off flow in one position or it's not doing it's job

Re: how does the A/C water valve work? - 10/03/11 02:29 PM

Alright, here's a pic to make things clearer (at least I hope so).

The valve is closed when the valve stem is fully retracted - it will stick out of the back (mechanism side) about 1/4" (in my picture the red lever doesn't push on the tip of the valve stem - not really correct as the mechanics inside are a bit more complicated but it serves the purpose of demonstrating how it roughly works).

The valve stem can only retract all the way when lever A (connected to the vacuum pod) is pushed (or pulled by the pod) down - hard to do as there is a strong spring working against it.

If eyelet of temperature control cable is in position B the valve stem is about half way retracted. Tip of valve stem is showing about 1/8"
When in position C the valve stem is not retracted at all (all the way in the pipe).

as long as the valve stem is not fully retracted there is water flow as the seal is smaller than the pipe diameter (shown in the picture).

is this the way the valve is supposed to work?

Attached picture 6853836-HEATER_VALVE_18-H1282NOS(10-10).jpg
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: how does the A/C water valve work? - 10/03/11 02:47 PM

Yes that does make it clear and I am not familiar with that type.

Re: how does the A/C water valve work? - 10/04/11 02:24 PM

Any 70 owners here?
© 2024 Moparts Forums