Moparts

Most economical method to lower a B-body

Posted By: ramman5600

Most economical method to lower a B-body - 09/27/11 11:11 PM

I don't want to create a low rider, but just drop the car about 2". I know there are a lot of great options for replacement parts to really make the car handle (70 SuperBee), but is there a safe yet economical way to accomplish a 2" drop without spending $2500? Thanks in advance for the advice.

-C
Posted By: ahy

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 09/27/11 11:17 PM

Safe, low cost and 2" drop. I think you can pick 2 out of the three.

For a 1" drop, turn down the T bars and get the rear springs re-worked by a local spring shop. Cutting down the bump stops would be helpful. A stiffer set of front bars would be nice to prevent bottoming but may not be strictly necessary. Cost <$1,000 even with new T bars.

For 2" I really think you would need drop spindles and maybe flipped rear springs. I personally would worry about exhaust and oil pan bottoming with a 2" drop.
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 09/28/11 01:39 AM

14" low profile tires....
You didn't say it had to look good!

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 09/28/11 02:29 AM

I was actually considering an 18" wheel and tire combo. Does anyone have the pan clearance issue that was noted?

-C
Posted By: ahy

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 09/28/11 02:43 AM

20 or 22" tires look much better. More seriously, what are your objectives? Handling, like the low look ect?

I've got my 70 E lowered a little (probably 3/4") with 1" T bars and stiff shocks. My 17" tires are on the short side with 25" diameter. I have a Hemi pan which is about 1" deeper than stock and a K frame mounted skid plate to protect the pan. The skid plate has earned its keep. I've had to touch up the paint on it at least twice after meaningful contact. It is sometimes driven with "spirit" on real midwest roads.

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 09/28/11 03:07 AM

I just like the wheels to fill the wheel well without too much space above the tire. I thought about the 26" wheels, but the 1/4" of rubber for tire was a detractor. Anyway - I also like the shorter side wall (45-50 aspect ratio) for steering response and with the newer tire tech they can actually make a nice riding tire.

-Chad
Posted By: 6bblFLASH

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 09/28/11 03:28 AM

Have my sister-in-law sit in it
Sorry I could`nt resist

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 09/28/11 03:56 AM

Posted By: savoy64

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 09/28/11 02:45 PM

instead of softening up your ride get a set of roadrace torsion bars and back off a little on those--for the rear use a 1 inch spacer between the axle and spring perch----bob
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 09/28/11 02:48 PM

Quote:

Have my sister-in-law sit in it
Sorry I could`nt resist

Most economical way is to let the air out of the tires, to adjust ride height.... ...I couldn't help myself either, he did want the cheapest way to accomplish this...
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 09/28/11 05:13 PM

The old trick, several forklift batteries in the trunk!
Sorry, I couldn't help it.
R.
Posted By: dangina

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 09/28/11 08:25 PM

i know that the magnum force 2" dropped leaf springs are just springs that dont have a much of a arch to them giving them that 2" u need...now got get them rearched!
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 09/28/11 08:37 PM

It's sort of tough to recommend without knowing: the tire diameters you have, your current gap/distance between the lower control arm bumpsptop and frame, and your k-frame and exhaust to ground clearance.

Just lower the front T-bar down to drop the tops of the front wheel lips 1" from current height. Check LCA bump stop clearance. If the LCA bump stop gap is too small buy the Energy suspension flat poly bumpstops.

In the rear buy Doctor Diff adjustable front spring hanger. That give you something like 1" or 2" drops

I forgot how much the Doctor Diff hangers are, but I don't think that and the bump stops are too much money.
Posted By: Black_Bee

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 09/28/11 08:44 PM

For the front, I turned down my 1" torsion bars, and for the rear, I used some spring hangers that Mancini sells:

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/manciniracing20.html

I got a 1.5-2" drop which is pretty much required if you want to run the larger wheels.

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 09/28/11 11:46 PM

Quote:

For the front, I turned down my 1" torsion bars, and for the rear, I used some spring hangers that Mancini sells:

I got a 1.5-2" drop which is pretty much required if you want to run the larger wheels.

If your ID picture is of the car which you did this too, then that is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 09/28/11 11:54 PM

Not that major an operation to make some lowering blocks. Retains most of your ride. Some 2 1/2 inch wide heavy wall tubing the Height of which would be the distance that you want to drop the rear. 2 pieces about 6" long and drill press. Drill out one side a hole the diameter of the spring tie bolt head to sit in and drill a 5/16 inch hole directly opposite to install a short spring eye bolt to fit in the centering hole in the spring perch.

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 09/29/11 04:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

If your ID picture is of the car which you did this too, then that is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks

Before drop... looks pretty good.

Attached picture 6847262-before_drop.jpg

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 09/29/11 04:35 AM

After drop... much better!

Attached picture 6847263-after_drop.jpg

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 09/29/11 04:42 AM

FYI, that's a 295-40-18 on the rear. It's actually a bit taller than the 275-60-15s that I had on before, but for some reason, the gap with those 15s didn't look bad.
Posted By: redmist

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 09/29/11 05:15 AM

Turn down torsion bars, and flip the factory hangers upside down.
Posted By: TooMany62s

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 09/29/11 11:05 AM

Mancini sells lowering blocks for the rear. I used some on my '84 Dodge pick-up after I flipped the axle. They worked fine.
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 09/29/11 01:28 PM

Quote:

this is what i did to my car.
17" wheels. 255/55/17 tires, stock 07 mustang GT tires.
if you lower the torsion bars you MIGHT have problems of to much camber, top of tires leaning in. you can correct with problem solver bushings in the upper arms.
also some people will caution you not to flip the rear hangers. this is because the bolt spacing is slightly different between the top and bottom bolts. you have to die grind the holes a tiny bit to make them fit. some people say this weakens a major structural area. i say poppycock. i did this on my 600+ci hemi car. i have driven it 50,000+ miles without any problems. also the warranty fix for dog tracking volaries was to install shims between the spring hanger and the mount. this weakens it much more than opening the holes a 1/8".

Attached picture 6847541-roadrunnerpics022.JPG

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 10/28/11 03:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

if you lower the torsion bars you MIGHT have problems of to much camber, top of tires leaning in. you can correct with problem solver bushings in the upper arms.
also some people will caution you not to flip the rear hangers. this is because the bolt spacing is slightly different between the top and bottom bolts. you have to die grind the holes a tiny bit to make them fit. some people say this weakens a major structural area. i say poppycock. i did this on my 600+ci hemi car. i have driven it 50,000+ miles without any problems. also the warranty fix for dog tracking volaries was to install shims between the spring hanger and the mount. this weakens it much more than opening the holes a 1/8".

Any need to run special shocks with a 1-2" drop?

-C

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 10/28/11 10:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

-C

the bilstiens are valved for the lower height:

http://www.hotchkis.net/rcd_shocks_dodge_b_e_body_4_pack_lowered_cars.html

Quote:

looks good! same rim and tire combo i'm goin with on my 71 runner - its a great to see what it'll look like - whats your rim backspacing?

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 10/28/11 10:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

-C

the bilstiens are valved for the lower height:

http://www.hotchkis.net/rcd_shocks_dodge_b_e_body_4_pack_lowered_cars.html
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 10/28/11 03:50 PM

I covered this topic in my new B body book.

New spring hangers from FFI or Mancini is the easy way to take care of the rear. You can also re-arch the springs or use a different spring.

Dropped knuckles will work up front or turn down the torsion bars and re-align everything. Firm Feel can get you shorter shocks so they don't act as bump stops.

There is a limit to how low you can go before you need to start spending some money to make it work.

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 10/29/11 07:46 PM

Quote:

I covered this topic in my new B body book.

New spring hangers from FFI or Mancini is the easy way to take care of the rear. You can also re-arch the springs or use a different spring.

Dropped knuckles will work up front or turn down the torsion bars and re-align everything. Firm Feel can get you shorter shocks so they don't act as bump stops.

There is a limit to how low you can go before you need to start spending some money to make it work.

What's this book you speak of as I am new the B-body crowd and migt have some interest? Also I just want there to be no gap from the top of the tire to the fender, nit slammed on the ground.

-C
Posted By: kilroy

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 11/13/11 02:09 AM

Quote:

...also some people will caution you not to flip the rear hangers. this is because the bolt spacing is slightly different between the top and bottom bolts. you have to die grind the holes a tiny bit to make them fit. some people say this weakens a major structural area.i say poppycock. ...

I agree totally, I just did this to my car (flip the spring hangers) and the stock holes are over large and not a tight fight to the hanger bolts anyways, so the extra 1/8" grinding wont make a boo. Sorry about primer and the bad picks but I lost 2" in the butt. Here is the after pic.

Attached picture 6916530-1112111512.jpg

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 11/13/11 02:10 AM

I sorry about the crappy picture

The Before pic.

Attached picture 6916532-0809111800.jpg
Posted By: 67autocross

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 11/13/11 02:48 AM

Quote:

I don't want to create a low rider, but just drop the car about 2". I know there are a lot of great options for replacement parts to really make the car handle (70 SuperBee), but is there a safe yet economical way to accomplish a 2" drop without spending $2500? Thanks in advance for the advice.

-C

Take a 80mph run at a set of railway tracks like the Dukes boys, repeat if necessary.

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 11/13/11 03:00 PM

Quote:

Take a 80mph run at a set of railway tracks like the Dukes boys, repeat if necessary.

Hes asking how to lower the car, not how to clearance the chassis/exhaust. (not yet at least)
Posted By: Pale_Roader

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 11/16/11 02:12 PM

Uh... just use the stock leafs and turn the T-bars down...??? Hahahahaha

Seriously, i haven't seen a Mopar yet that hasn't lowered itself at least 2" due to saggy leafs. Just turn the T-bars down.

For a better approach, just use lower profile tires. Thats cheap, and you get better performance tires as a bonus. You can still get 15" V and better rated tires i think. I did this to lower a 71 Fury and a 78 Volare. Both used 50-series 15" rubber on stock tires. The Fury especially sunk a bunch, due to its 78-series stock tire based ride height. Sure, they look goofy with the smaller tires, but i think lowered Mopars look goofy in general, so its probably just me. By the tiny 17" or 18" tires most Mopar guys end up using on the classic rides, id say most people would like the small tire look anyways.

You can lower a stock Mopar up to 3" this way, yet still have a 100% original and untouched suspension. No weird suspension geometry from the usual methods.

Now... if there was only a cheap way to RAISE the rear ov a Mopar without resorting to 2ft long shackles or yummy air-shocks...
Posted By: Montclaire

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 11/18/11 05:26 PM

Quote:

Mancini sells lowering blocks for the rear. I used some on my '84 Dodge pick-up after I flipped the axle. They worked fine.

Please do not use lowering blocks.

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 11/18/11 05:28 PM

Quote:

I agree totally, I just did this to my car (flip the spring hangers) and the stock holes are over large and not a tight fight to the hanger bolts anyways, so the extra 1/8" grinding wont make a boo. Sorry about primer and the bad picks but I lost 2" in the butt. Here is the after pic.

Nice, new springs or stock? What size tires? How about the front? Any over-all shots? Thanks (Burn Notice replica? lol)

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 11/19/11 01:54 AM

Quote:

Nice, new springs or stock? What size tires? How about the front? Any over-all shots? Thanks (Burn Notice replica? lol)

275/60/15 on an 8"rim with 4.5 b/s on the rim. I always thought they looked a little tall with out them being tucked into the fenders like they are now, but I REALLY like the look of them now.

Front I need to lower a little bit more but to do that I gottta fix the crappy local muff shop job on the exhaust (if you want something done right do it yourself) and I need to trim the bump stops a little on the front.

Right now it sits square to the top of the fender openings on the front and back at 26.5".

Springs are just HD springs from about 1999. I havent check the pinion angle yet but I will later. I was good before.

whats with the burn notice replica?

Oh and thanks for the compliment.
Posted By: deansrr

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 11/19/11 02:52 AM

front you take out torsion bar adjusters

rear take diff off of springs, flip over and install above springs

this should lower it quite a bit (of course I wouldn't drive it)

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 11/19/11 04:29 AM

Burn Notice - on USA? And no, that's not me in the photo.

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 11/19/11 04:46 AM

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 11/20/11 04:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Please do not use lowering blocks.

Can you explain your thinking?

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 11/21/11 03:49 AM

Quote:

*Sigh*
Posted By: NTOLERANCE

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 11/21/11 03:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

*Sigh*

Lowering blocks will increase your rear axles distance from the leaf spring, thereby creating a lever effect, that will INCREASE the possibility of wheel hop and or traction loss.

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 11/21/11 04:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

*Sigh*

Lowering blocks will increase your rear axles distance from the leaf spring, thereby creating a lever effect, that will INCREASE the possibility of wheel hop and or traction loss.

Thanks for sharing your actual thought - at least you shared some logic instead of just assuming everyone knows everything about suspension like Mont-Claire and therefore we should just shut down the internet and Moparts because apparently everyone has all the answers now or are mind readers when someone post a statement like " don't do this or that".
Posted By: ThermoQuad

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 11/21/11 11:55 AM

Just answer the question.

But first

WHERE IS THE SUSPENSION HANDLING FORUM???
Maybe santa has some pull here

Most economical method to lower a B-body:

Reverse the front spring eye-requires some filing as the mounting pattern is asymmetrical.

Lower the front using the proper procedure!!!
Look it up

Notes:
Tire diameter should not exceed 26 inches
Top of tire should be at the bottom of the fender lip, set front height accordingly.
Have car realigned
Lowering blocks is bad advice
You do not need dropped spindles

Re: Most economical method to lower a B-body - 11/21/11 03:23 PM

Quote:

Thanks for sharing your actual thought - at least you shared some logic instead of just assuming everyone knows everything about suspension like Mont-Claire and therefore we should just shut down the internet and Moparts because apparently everyone has all the answers now or are mind readers when someone post a statement like " don't do this or that".

I could go on for paragraphs and people would still use lowering blocks, I didn't feel like getting into it. It's the reason that JC Whitney is still in business, and can continue to sell helper leafs, air shocks, and light up donkey hood ornaments. Some people will insist that they do things the right way, and some will go the other route, but hey, it's a big world with a lot of things happening, and it doesn't matter much at the end of the day.
© 2024 Moparts Forums