Moparts

LA/Magnum Crosswind Intake Manifold

Posted By: meanmothermagnum

LA/Magnum Crosswind Intake Manifold - 09/27/11 03:31 AM

Has anybody tried running a Crosswind Intake manifold on a magnum engine and compared it to the standard barrel manifold? I am thinking of getting one for my 5.2 and just wondering if there are any gains to be had by the switch?
Posted By: ahy

Re: LA/Magnum Crosswind Intake Manifold - 09/27/11 04:12 AM

The Crosswind is a bigger performance manifold and the barrel is tuned to match the cam and give the 5.2 as much low/mid range torque as possible. If its computer controlled the Crosswind will throw off the fueling.

Unless you are changing the cam and re-programming the ECU or adding a carb and conventional ignition, I'd leave it alone.
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: LA/Magnum Crosswind Intake Manifold - 09/27/11 05:02 AM

The beer keg, barrel intake is made for maximum torque in a truck application. They were made to get heavy loads moving from a dead stop. And the Crosswind (and Eddy) intakes are made for maximum horsepower in performance applications, to get lighter loads moving as quickly as possible.

If your vehicle is mostly stock (truck?), probably best to stay with the barrel intake unless you are ready to commit to a performance vehicle instead of maximum grunt.
Posted By: POS Dakota

Re: LA/Magnum Crosswind Intake Manifold - 09/27/11 03:09 PM

Quote:

Has anybody tried running a Crosswind Intake manifold on a magnum engine and compared it to the standard barrel manifold? I am thinking of getting one for my 5.2 and just wondering if there are any gains to be had by the switch?

yes, you will gain some upper rpm horsepower, but might be disappointed at a possible loss in bottom end torque.

EFI engines dont seem to care as much, but as described earlier, without any other modifications like a cam, heads etc...the barrel intake is definitley part of a well matched factory combo.
© 2024 Moparts Forums