Moparts

soldering wires, what 2 use

Posted By: RapidRobert

soldering wires, what 2 use - 08/28/11 04:22 AM

Some heavy wires, soldering gun & even the big iron was too light & tried propane but the flame is too wide & wants 2 melt the insulation at either end of the joint. Any suggestions? Thank you 4 your time
Posted By: dstryr

Re: soldering wires, what 2 use - 08/28/11 04:30 AM

roll a piece of sheet metal into a cylinder or cone to direct the flame.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: soldering wires, what 2 use - 08/28/11 04:31 AM

For 4-8 ga wire I typically use a crack pipe lighter...

Attached picture 6798673-lighter.jpg

Re: soldering wires, what 2 use - 08/28/11 04:36 AM

Quote:

roll a piece of sheet metal into a cylinder or cone to direct the flame.

That's outside the box but I'm game. RT what kind of fuel
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: soldering wires, what 2 use - 08/28/11 04:47 AM

Butane.. Hit up your local Rockstar...

Re: soldering wires, what 2 use - 08/28/11 04:50 AM

I'm assuming the flame can b turned down low. Alright I'll go get one (but not from my crack head neighbors)
Posted By: T2R9

Re: soldering wires, what 2 use - 08/28/11 01:13 PM

Here is the setup I use, pretty slick.

Re: soldering wires, what 2 use - 08/28/11 02:02 PM

Yeah that looks worthwhile (refillable/diff tips)
Posted By: aarcuda

Re: soldering wires, what 2 use - 08/28/11 05:01 PM

i have thia cool little setup that is a mini torch that that a rechargeable butane lighter in it. bought it years ago and works like a charm
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: soldering wires, what 2 use - 08/28/11 05:06 PM

I soldered some 10 ga wire last night onto a couple alligator clips for a 12volt contractor fuel pump in the bed of my pickup truck.
I used a gun type soldering gun and was able to easily have enough heat to get the allligator clips hot enough to flow the solder out. These clips go on 12V batterys, they are not small.

If the wire is corroaded or dirty it won't take solder.

I work on petroluem tanker trucks everyday, those hand held torches are scaring the crap out of me.
Posted By: hooziewhatsit

Re: soldering wires, what 2 use - 08/28/11 05:19 PM

you did put a blob of melted solder on the tip of the iron, then put it on the wire(s) to be soldered, right? If the tip is clean, it won't transfer hardly any heat.

Otherwise, strip the insulation back an inch or two, then clamp small vice grips on either side of the joint. They'll absorb most of the heat and prevent it from messing up the insulation. Then slide your shrink tubing (that you put on before solding the joint) over the entire joint.

Re: soldering wires, what 2 use - 08/28/11 05:30 PM

Yes I did clean the tip then coated it. I think the prob w that there was just enough breeze (dont take much) drawing away heat but it was aggravating. I dont get frustrated very often but this deal got 2 me a bit. Thanks again guys

Re: soldering wires, what 2 use - 08/28/11 05:34 PM

In addition to tining the iron you must tin the wires also first, then it's a easy deal to stick the 2 togeather with minimal heat.
Posted By: crlush

Re: soldering wires, what 2 use - 08/28/11 05:36 PM

I bought a cheap refillable pencil type butane torch, works great but you have to refill quite often but no big deal
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: soldering wires, what 2 use - 08/28/11 05:40 PM

Make sure you have a good mechanical connection first... tin/lead solder tends to fracture under high vibration (like an automotive application) especially if it's in tension.

If you've got room, perhaps one of these? They come in many sizes...

Attached picture 6799302-split_bolt_in_use.JPG

Re: soldering wires, what 2 use - 08/28/11 05:43 PM

Quote:

Make sure you have a good mechanical connection first... tin/lead solder tends to fracture under high vibration (like an automotive application) especially if it's in tension.

If you've got room, perhaps one of these? They come in many sizes...

Oh yea that'll look good on my dragster...light weight too.

Next thing you know we will have scrappers stealing stuff off our cars if we used connections like that.imo

Re: soldering wires, what 2 use - 08/28/11 05:50 PM

You know I'm wondering if I DIDN'T tin both wires enough . (& I'm always preaching k.i.s.s./basics) I'll b back on it today. Charles that clamp oughta do it but I'd (prob) still wanna solder it & if it's as big as it looks I'd be dragging out the acetylene
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: soldering wires, what 2 use - 08/28/11 06:14 PM

Come on, you're thinking of the fist-sized ones for industrial power lines... a small split-bolt like you need for two #10 wires weighs a whopping half ounce! Won't cost you too many tenths ET
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: soldering wires, what 2 use - 08/28/11 07:20 PM

Quote:

You know I'm wondering if I DIDN'T tin both wires enough . (& I'm always preaching k.i.s.s./basics) I'll b back on it today. Charles that clamp oughta do it but I'd (prob) still wanna solder it & if it's as big as it looks I'd be dragging out the acetylene

those lugs come in pretty small sizes (home depot or such)and are you using rosin core solder or solid?
Posted By: jcc

Re: soldering wires, what 2 use - 08/28/11 07:25 PM

Another almost obvious suggestion when at the limits of heat input, orient the wire vertically, with the insulation on the bottom, and allow heat to rise.
Posted By: Pntastar69

Re: soldering wires, what 2 use - 08/28/11 07:54 PM

Remember to add some flux.

Re: soldering wires, what 2 use - 08/28/11 07:57 PM

I was using rosin & yes I have a tin of flux somewhere. I was surprised at the probs I was having as usually that foot long heavy duty iron handles any job though it takes forever to heat up 2 get started

Re: soldering wires, what 2 use - 08/28/11 10:37 PM

Quote:

Remember to add some flux.

clean both parts to shiney, flux on both, and use the rosin core especially if it's stranded wire. you shouldn't need any more high powered than your handy-dandy torch or a good heating iron.

Re: soldering wires, what 2 use - 08/28/11 11:51 PM

It's possible your tip is contaminated, sand it all the way down and re tin.

I have never used flux when soldering wires, not saying it's wrong.
This one has a hi and low depending on how far you pull the trigger. Radio shack special,150/230 watts, the solder comes in different diameters and say rosin core solder on the roll.

Now I think it's different than the solder I have to solder copper pipes?

I worked for 8 years at a scale company. One of my jobs was to replace 16 pin IC chips in digital display boards. Sometimes there was like 12 chips per board X 16 pins. That's a lot of soldering with one of these and a solder sucker.

Re: soldering wires, what 2 use - 08/28/11 11:57 PM

flux is more of a plumbing thing but can't hurt. it helps the solder bind with the metal. and yes, you would use a solid core with plumbing.
© 2024 Moparts Forums