Moparts

I have brake lights but no tail/running lights..

Posted By: 70mopar

I have brake lights but no tail/running lights.. - 08/17/11 10:29 PM

I have a 1970 Charger. I did not have brake nor tail/running lights. Just changed fuse and now have brake lights but no tail/running lights. My dash lights are also not working.? What gives.?
Any advice is helpful..

Thank You , 70Mopar
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: I have brake lights but no tail/running lights.. - 08/17/11 10:44 PM

The dash lights & the tail lights are both powered through the same fuse, plus the dash lights run through a second fuse so I would test those fuses either with a test light or a DMM also inspect the fuse block for corrosion then the next suspect would be the headlight switch...

Re: I have brake lights but no tail/running lights.. - 08/17/11 10:49 PM

Any idea what fuse that is.? Sorry , My box is very hard to read..
Posted By: stumpy

Re: I have brake lights but no tail/running lights.. - 08/17/11 10:57 PM

Your best bet is to get a test light and check the fuses with the head light and ignition switchs on. All fuses should be hot that way. Test both ends of each fuse.
Posted By: dOc !

Re: I have brake lights but no tail/running lights.. - 08/17/11 10:57 PM

Is your license-plate lite working ?

Re: I have brake lights but no tail/running lights.. - 08/17/11 11:26 PM

Changed fuse even though it looked good and still same result.. The front headlights do work , The license Plate light does not work either.. Looks like no Woodward cruisin for me tonight...
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: I have brake lights but no tail/running lights.. - 08/17/11 11:30 PM

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1970/70ChargerA.JPG

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1970/70ChargerB.JPG

Theres the schematics but a test light is what you really need..
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: I have brake lights but no tail/running lights.. - 08/18/11 12:44 AM

wiggle the turn sig switch and see if they work when moveing it around

turn and brake lights go thru this switch

I just had this on my truck new turn sig switch and all the lights work now.

same for my 68Dart with pass side tail brake light..turn sig switch was bad.

good luck trouble shooting
Posted By: mopar_man

Re: I have brake lights but no tail/running lights.. - 08/18/11 02:22 AM

Your park lights and brake/turn signals are separate fuses and wireing . the only thing they have in common is they use same bulb with two filaments .
me thinks you have headlight switch problem or the plug on the switch is loose or corroded

Re: I have brake lights but no tail/running lights.. - 08/18/11 02:43 AM

I do have turn signals in the hood which are working.. Not sure if signals work in the taillights..? Can check in the Morning..
I believe fuses are fine and good. Think last person to post is onto the real problem.
I remember driving in Heath @ Mopar Nationals and my dash lights were "flickering" when I hit bumps.. Then they finally just never came back on.
I Was unaware of no taillights until some kind gentleman informed me while cruisin in Heath..
Posted By: therocks

Re: I have brake lights but no tail/running lights.. - 08/18/11 11:15 AM

Check the headlight swiych.The tails go thru it.Do the frt park lights come on?Rocky

Re: I have brake lights but no tail/running lights.. - 08/18/11 11:59 AM

What exactly are park lights.? Sorry , Just electrical issues are not my strong point..

Re: I have brake lights but no tail/running lights.. - 08/18/11 12:31 PM

The small lights on the front that are also turn signals.That and 70 I believe the side markers should light also.Id have to look at wiring diagram but the dash lights should feed off the headlight switch from the power wire for park lights.70 the frt park lights stay on even with the headlights on.First click on the headlight switch is park lights the second is headlights.Rocky

Re: I have brake lights but no tail/running lights.. - 08/19/11 12:54 PM

I guess it is just to bad I have no electrical skills. Car is still sitting

If any Moparts members are in the Mt. Clemens area(I-94 & North River road) and would like to stop by and take a peak , I would be more than happy to compensate you for your time..

Thank You...

Re: I have brake lights but no tail/running lights.. - 08/19/11 02:07 PM

Did they work before?Did you check the tail frt park lights on the first notch of the headlight switch?If I was close Id stop and give you a hand.Electrical for most of the early cars isnt black magic.But with a factory manual its pretty easy to figure out.First thing is you have to make sure the fuse for the park- tail lights is good and suppling power in and out.Not hard just get a cheap test light.Rocky
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: I have brake lights but no tail/running lights.. - 08/19/11 02:44 PM

As said get a test light & mymopar has the colors. W the switch out to the 1st click check for fire at the HL sw connector on top then at the connector behind the dr kick panel then at 1 or more connectors rearward under the carpet and or trunk between the kick panel connector and the rear bulbs. Front: then fire from HL sw to the bulkhead then out to the front running lights (all running/tail/park lights front/rear on that circuit are the small filaments in the 1157 dual bulbs)

Re: I have brake lights but no tail/running lights.. - 08/19/11 04:44 PM

Rocky & Rapid , Thank you for all the advise.. Unfortunately I am a Visual person and manuals do not help. I watch something bein fixed once and I can do it again if need be after that. There are alot of Mopar Guru's by my that often just pop in. Just hopin maybee 1 of them can pop by for a quick tutorial so I can get problem fixed.. There is also an auto electic place around the corner that I am sure would just love to bend me over..

Any local Mopar experts have a couple extra minutes and a test light that can stop by.. Give me a shout. 586-468-4440

Re: I have brake lights but no tail/running lights.. - 08/19/11 05:29 PM

Quote:

There are alot of Mopar Guru's by my that often just pop in. Just hopin maybee 1 of them can pop by for a quick tutorial so I can get problem fixed.

Cold beer and delicious barbeque may help w that

Re: I have brake lights but no tail/running lights.. - 09/17/11 12:35 AM

A couple days ago I closed the front headlight doors and low and behold I now have running and tail lights.. I open the headlight doors and they go out.. What gives..?

Re: I have brake lights but no tail/running lights.. - 09/17/11 02:06 AM

How is the headlight door circuit connected with the park/tail circuit in the headlight switch?
© 2024 Moparts Forums