Moparts

Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body

Posted By: terzmo

Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/26/11 11:12 PM

Does anyone have or know of headers that do NOT capture the starter on a Big Block B body....2 inch headers minimum for size and a mini starter is fine...

question 2......and how hard is it to get to the plugs for a change

My 69 Bee has a 440 with stock hi-po exhausts and number 4 and 6 have to be gotten from below.Can change the starter though. Just installed headers on another Bee(owner supplied) and number 5 needs a peanut plug and a contortionist to get it.(from below also) Forget about getting to the starter on this also.

Thanks to all in advance
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/26/11 11:16 PM

good luck with that !!!

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/26/11 11:17 PM

Quote:

good luck with that !!!

not a good start...lol
Posted By: b54406barrel

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/26/11 11:29 PM

Sure, here you go........

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOK-5215-1HKR/
Posted By: forphorty

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/27/11 12:13 AM

All the full length header( except for fenderwells) will capture the starter. As far as plug clearance goes , I like to bolt the header to a loose head first to check it. It's easier to make a ding or two for plug clearance before you have the header in the car.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/27/11 12:44 AM

With my el-cheapo 1 7/8" summit headers I can weasel my mini-starter in and out but it takes a while. I don't think you're going to do that with any 2" headers!
Posted By: forphorty

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/27/11 12:52 AM

Quote:

With my el-cheapo 1 7/8" summit headers I can weasel my mini-starter in and out but it takes a while. I don't think you're going to do that with any 2" headers!

I noticed on Summits website, it shows the painted headers as 1 3/4 and the ceramic coated as 1 7/8. Are the headers actually different or is it a typo on their website?
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/27/11 01:22 AM

Quote:

Does anyone have or know of headers that do NOT capture the starter on a Big Block B body....2 inch headers minimum for size and a mini starter is fine...

My 69 Bee has a 440 with stock hi-po exhausts and number 4 and 6 have to be gotten from below.Can change the starter though. Just installed headers on another Bee(owner supplied) and number 5 needs a peanut plug and a contortionist to get it.(from below also) Forget about getting to the starter on this also.

Thanks to all in advance

what? I've never had to use a "peanut" plug. Jeesh man grind on the flange if you have an issue. Why does one need a 2" header anyway? I bet 1 7/8 would be fine. What is the set-up? you have to drop the steering linkage, lay the header in, then hang the starter, then bolt the header up. While the header is loose instal the plug and plug wire for that matter. It also helps to have that side of the motor jacked up.

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/27/11 01:34 AM

Quote:

Why does one need a 2" header anyway? I bet 1 7/8 would be fine.

You're kidding right ?!?!? That's like saying why do you need a .600 lift cam, what's wrong with .500 - or why do you need an 850 cfm carb, what's wrong with 650?

The point is when it comes to big-block Mopars and headers we're pretty much screwed because of the unibody design and suspension layout. The best advice is to put in a good starter in the first place, invest in a quality set of headers that other members can vouch will fit with minimal "adjustment" and then keep your fingers crossed.

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/27/11 02:37 AM

Quote:

hmm...fenderwell headers for A body...I inquired about B

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/27/11 02:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks to all in advance

what? I've never had to use a "peanut" plug. Jeesh man grind on the flange if you have an issue. Why does one need a 2" header anyway? I bet 1 7/8 would be fine. What is the set-up? you have to drop the steering linkage, lay the header in, then hang the starter, then bolt the header up. While the header is loose instal the plug and plug wire for that matter. It also helps to have that side of the motor jacked up.

Is there a full moon...that's all fine on an initial installation....down the road is the issue...replacement without doing the header or tranny removal
Posted By: 6bblFLASH

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/27/11 04:12 AM

I have Summit 1-7/8 headers and if you unhook and pull back the sterring column the starter comes out the top without touching the headers.
Their headers are PATRIOT Headers in a different box.
Can`t say if 2-in. would be the same

Attached picture 6748597-DSC01065.JPG

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/27/11 06:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I noticed on Summits website, it shows the painted headers as 1 3/4 and the ceramic coated as 1 7/8. Are the headers actually different or is it a typo on their website?

Correction, mine are the 1 3/4 painted summit headers. They are obviously just headman's in a summit box. No idea about their coated headers. I'd assumed they were the same ones but coated but apparently not...

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/27/11 01:11 PM

Quote:

I have Summit 1-7/8 headers and if you unhook and pull back the sterring column the starter comes out the top without touching the headers.

Thanks...good info here.....................for a change

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/27/11 01:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You're kidding right ?!?!? That's like saying why do you need a .600 lift cam, what's wrong with .500 - or why do you need an 850 cfm carb, what's wrong with 650?

The point is when it comes to big-block Mopars and headers we're pretty much screwed because of the unibody design and suspension layout. The best advice is to put in a good starter in the first place, invest in a quality set of headers that other members can vouch will fit with minimal "adjustment" and then keep your fingers crossed.

no I'm not kidding. A general perfomance engine doesn't need 2" headers. For most mild 440 applications 1 3/4" would be fine. You HP gains might be 5-10hp up to 1 7/8 and that would depend on how aggressive your build is. That's why I asked about his build. If this is a "street car" that doesn't see much track time the 2" tubes would be pointless. I've used all kinds of headers, I found cheap hedmans fit very well. Headers will always have a few problem areas no matter the brand.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/27/11 03:01 PM

Quote:

Wow thats pretty cool, I have Hooker Comps and you can get a starter in and out if you pull the steering column and unbolt the header flange. Takes some manuevering though.

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/27/11 09:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

no I'm not kidding. A general perfomance engine doesn't need 2" headers. For most mild 440 applications 1 3/4" would be fine. You HP gains might be 5-10hp up to 1 7/8 and that would depend on how aggressive your build is. That's why I asked about his build. If this is a "street car" that doesn't see much track time the 2" tubes would be pointless. I've used all kinds of headers, I found cheap hedmans fit very well. Headers will always have a few problem areas no matter the brand.

The question was about 2 inch headers..anyone have them that don't capture the starter...why am I getting questions about the motor build...A body header suggestions and a the rest of somthing I didn't ask for? Either someone has em...or they don't...simple

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/27/11 09:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The question was about 2 inch headers..anyone have them that don't capture the starter...why am I getting questions about the motor build...A body header suggestions and a the rest of somthing I didn't ask for? Either someone has em...or they don't...simple

hey man just trying to help. If you 2's try a set of Hooker's
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/27/11 10:16 PM

"Correction, mine are the 1 3/4 painted summit headers. They are obviously just headman's in a summit box. No idea about their coated headers. I'd assumed they were the same ones but coated but apparently not..."

The Summit headers are, and have been for some time, rebranded Patriot's. They are very similar to a hedman, but not quite identical.
Posted By: meepmeep70

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/27/11 10:26 PM

i know this isn't much help,BUT i have the 2"DOUGS cerimac headers from summit(iirc 550 delivered)(was 2yrs ago)anyway the mini starter does get captured,so to replace would be a little pain,have to drop header,but is easy to do,exp.install instruction say place starter in place loosely before sliding header in,which i did and header slide in from top with out scratching any paint,i was amazed and i used a good mini starter,figuring i wouldn't change that as often as the plugs,which brings me to the trade off,the plug change is awesome,takes 10min,and my plug boots don't get burned like other headers i had did,plenty of room around plugs,only one plug on pass.side requires me to put a wrench on my plug socket,as the ratchet won't fit cuz of inner fender well,no biggy.this is a 70 road runner 440 auto,manual steering. i will buy DOUG'S headers everytime.Also there is lots of room around the starter so no heat soak,just can't get it out without dropping header(DOUG'S supplied special bolts make this and easy chore though. i know not really what you were looking for,but don't think you'll find a better header .pm me if you want pics

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/27/11 10:32 PM

understand...Have changed headers/starters for decades and would just like headers that don't get in the way of starters and plugs. I'm running Hi-Po stock exhausts on My Bee and for the street...why bother with headers...the only pain is #4 and #6 plugs....jack the car up...crawl under...reach up

I did have a set of 2 inch hookers on My 67 B body and doing the pllugs wasn't too bad...all from the top but again,starter captured

Thanks
Posted By: 1968RR

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/27/11 10:32 PM

What about "shorty" headers? Lots of companies make them (Hedman comes to mind).
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/27/11 10:45 PM

Quote:

What about "shorty" headers? Lots of companies make them (Hedman comes to mind).

The Delta Motorsports headers on my Interceptor are much like a shorty header, they have awesome plug clearance and don't capture the starter.

I know what terzmo means though- I had 2" CPPA headers on my 440 Demon. Spark plug boots burning was a pain in the rear, but the starter? It would melt in place, and talk about a captured starter!!!

Getting a performance 2" big block header usually means pain will follow. Maybe some brands of 2" headers have less pain involved than others?
Posted By: b54406barrel

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/27/11 11:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

hmm...fenderwell headers for A body...I inquired about B

They're 2" & they work on a 68 road runner way better then they worked on my 67, 440 barracuda. You had to run a mini-tire & jack it way up to clear. They're still on the 68 rr as far as I know. Easy plug changes & you can fit 2 starters up there, side by side.

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/27/11 11:21 PM

Quote:

This is pretty normal around here. But don't let that discourage you !!

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/28/11 01:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

This is pretty normal around here. But don't let that discourage you !!

It's like asking My Wife a question.........

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/28/11 01:16 AM

why are you so worried about the starter? it's not a GM.. it will be fine. Not sure of the part # but Hooker makes a race set that are 4 piece, but 2 tubes exit out the inner fenders. Buddy used them on his 69 coronet. If I do 2" that's the way I'm going.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/28/11 01:57 AM

I'm running 1 7/8" TTI's on a B engine. Ed heads. Plug clearance is OK from the top. Pretty easy once I figured out which combination of wrenches to use for the tight ones.

I'm running a MP BB mini starter. It fits fine but no hope of changing it without completly loosening or removing the header. I have not had any problems with the starter so it has been a non issue so far.
Posted By: DennisH

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/28/11 12:15 PM

440. B. 850 Demon. TTI's. Mini Starter.

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/28/11 02:23 PM

Quote:

why are you so worried about the starter? it's not a GM.. it will be fine. Not sure of the part # but Hooker makes a race set that are 4 piece, but 2 tubes exit out the inner fenders. Buddy used them on his 69 coronet. If I do 2" that's the way I'm going.

duh...starters fail..

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/28/11 03:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

duh...starters fail..

Then run manifolds, really no header is going to give you total easy access to the starter, it's even more of a pain if you have PS. That's why it's good idea to run as many factory ex mani studs as you can. It makes pulling the headers easier. On my last set of hedmans and Summit headers I was able to use all of the ex mani studs. This way you don't have to drain the block before you swap out a gasket or if you have to move the header. FWIW you'll have half a dozen things fail before the starter.
Posted By: Junky

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/28/11 04:48 PM

I run Schumacher Tri-Y headers. Easy install. Doesn't trap starter. Easy access to plugs.

Attached picture 6750958-TriY.jpg

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/28/11 05:33 PM

Quote:

I run Schumacher Tri-Y headers. Easy install. Doesn't trap starter. Easy access to plugs.

Yes but if he didn't want to use 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 he won't want to use those.

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/28/11 05:59 PM

Quote:

neat...what size diameter ? I may have to compromise diameter if the starter is accessable for change

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/28/11 06:39 PM

Really how often are you going through starters that this is that big of an issue for you?
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/28/11 06:45 PM

Quote:

Really how often are you going through starters that this is that big of an issue for you?

He sounds like he's worried over nothing to some, but I ate one starter per year AT LEAST with my Demon, and it was a ROYAL pain to swap starters in a 440 A body with 2" CPPAs, so I feel his pain!

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/28/11 07:30 PM

Quote:

must be a chevy convert...those things eat starters like crazy
Posted By: Junky

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/28/11 07:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

neat...what size diameter ? I may have to compromise diameter if the starter is accessable for change

IIRC, 1.58" to 2" to 2.5". Click here for the web page.

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/28/11 07:50 PM

Quote:

Why ask this question ? If someone wants a burger, do You question that with somthing else. I hate to be like this BUT if there is nothing POSITIVE to reply with...then don't....I can put all on the ignore list but I'd rather not.

If it's "possible" to make things EASIER down the road, then shouldn't one take that route.

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/28/11 09:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Why ask this question ? If someone wants a burger, do You question that with somthing else. I hate to be like this BUT if there is nothing POSITIVE to reply with...then don't....I can put all on the ignore list but I'd rather not.

If it's "possible" to make things EASIER down the road, then shouldn't one take that route.

So basically then you're only looking for the answers you want to hear, not any opposing view points that should at least be considered. You should probably put me and 3/4 of the board members here on your ignore list.

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/28/11 10:10 PM

I posted a question for relevent ANSWERS, not more questions. And don't flatter yourself by a comparison to 3/4 of the other members.They have reading comprehension....somthing You definetely lack
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/28/11 10:41 PM

Quote:

I posted a question for relevent ANSWERS, not more questions. And don't flatter yourself by a comparison to 3/4 of the other members.They have reading comprehension....somthing You definetely lack

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/29/11 01:17 AM

Quote:

You asked about 2" headers, the answer is NO 2" headers will allow you easy access to the starter. I suggested you look at smaller tube headers and you said NO. Forget that I've put headers on MANY BB mopars. Then you go on to say you like the Tri-Y's. those are for BB A-body's with tiny tubes but you like them because they don't "trap" the starter. Look at your build and see what size is best for your application. If you need 2" those tri-y's 'anit going to cut it. People are trying to help you...usually it's from making mistakes on their own cars.

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/29/11 01:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You asked about 2" headers, the answer is NO 2" headers will allow you easy access to the starter. I suggested you look at smaller tube headers and you said NO. Forget that I've put headers on MANY BB mopars. Then you go on to say you like the Tri-Y's. those are for BB A-body's with tiny tubes but you like them because they don't "trap" the starter. Look at your build and see what size is best for your application. If you need 2" those tri-y's 'anit going to cut it. People are trying to help you...usually it's from making mistakes on their own cars.

You are the backend of a horse. Where..and I challenge all, did I write I like tri Y's...don't even know what they are....I asked about 2 inch and didn't say I "couldn't" switch to a smaller tube. IF there are no 2 inch that YOU know of eithersay that or don't reply with other questions. GET A LIFE

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/29/11 01:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

this is your post, so yes you did ask about them and were willing to compromise in size so pound sand. Here's an answer for you:
NO 2" Header is going to be and easy fit, they will have clearance issues with plugs and the starter. I suggest you ask an engine builder what size tube would be appropriate for your build. Good luck.

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/29/11 02:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

this is your post, so yes you did ask about them and were willing to compromise in size so pound sand. Here's an answer for you:
NO 2" Header is going to be and easy fit, they will have clearance issues with plugs and the starter. I suggest you ask an engine builder what size tube would be appropriate for your build. Good luck.

I only asked what diameter after He volunteered a source...READ...DIGEST...COMPREHEND...The poster volunteered the type...I didn't bring it up. You'd be great in politics with this type of reply

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/29/11 03:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I only asked what diameter after He volunteered a source...READ...DIGEST...COMPREHEND...The poster volunteered the type...I didn't bring it up. You'd be great in politics with this type of reply

you are right, I'd be great in politics because I can see thru dumbness and get the job done and I don't care who I PO in the process.

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/29/11 05:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

you are right, I'd be great in politics because I can see thru dumbness and get the job done and I don't care who I PO in the process.

Plain ignorance
Posted By: 451 D*O*D*G*E

Re: Headers=starters=Big Block=B-Body - 07/29/11 10:45 PM

See even talkin about header pipes makes people irate!I just got done wrappin mine today,will have a guy holding each unit and one under for starter when i lower the engine in.I have a Denso mini and Summit ceramic(which is pealed off)i wrapped them in 2" copper wrap and spray.Keep the starter cool!
© 2024 Moparts Forums