Moparts

Varnish in Gas Line

Posted By: 340mouse

Varnish in Gas Line - 07/23/11 06:59 PM

My Cuda has sat for a lot of years , I can blow air through the gas line but it has gummie stuff in it, anything magic to clean it out with other than a new line, also how to hook up rods on a 68 4speed with an inland, can't find my service manual.
Thanks
Posted By: intragration

Re: Varnish in Gas Line - 07/23/11 08:24 PM

If it were me, and as long as the line wasn't rusted out or completely blocked, I'd hook it up and start using it. New gasoline flowing through it should probably clean it up.
Posted By: az426john

Re: Varnish in Gas Line - 07/23/11 08:34 PM

If it were me, I would carefully run acetone through it until it came out clear or almost clear.
Posted By: 21966mopars

Re: Varnish in Gas Line - 07/23/11 11:16 PM

I had the same issue with my 66 300 I bought the por gas tank renew kit. pulled the tank and re did the tank with the kit. after that blow out the lines.Run a clear filter and replace after a tank of gas.Mine has been trouble free since.
Posted By: ramairthree

Re: Varnish in Gas Line - 07/23/11 11:20 PM

Quote:

If it were me, and as long as the line wasn't rusted out or completely blocked, I'd hook it up and start using it. New gasoline flowing through it should probably clean it up.

true that.
you may need to give the carb a going though after a while, years of varnish and tiny dust specs of rust that get through the filter can surprise you.
but after that you should be good
Posted By: 340duster340

Re: Varnish in Gas Line - 07/24/11 12:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

true that.
you may need to give the carb a going though after a while, years of varnish and tiny dust specs of rust that get through the filter can surprise you.
but after that you should be good

ditto, i have also on occasion spliced in a better mesh type filter at the car while running the crud out of the line.
Posted By: 73rrak

Re: Varnish in Gas Line - 07/24/11 06:04 AM

The car I'm building now sat in a field for 15 years with no gas cap. What what was once fuel in the tank came out of the tank like tar. The tank was trash and I couldn't blow air through the fuel line. I capped the fuel tank side of the fuel line and used a small funnel to fill the fuel line up with sea foam at the engine compartment end. after about a week I took the cap off and all of the crap came out. I flushed it with Acetone until it ran clear.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Varnish in Gas Line - 07/24/11 12:58 PM

I'd for sure flush it thoroughly however way you choose 2 do that and or replace the lines/tank. I wouldn't want it going to my carb. Gas is problematic enough the way it is
Posted By: 340mouse

Re: Varnish in Gas Line - 07/24/11 02:23 PM

sea foam? what is this.
Posted By: mopowered

Re: Varnish in Gas Line - 07/24/11 02:43 PM

Seafoam is a top cleaner sold at the auto parts stores. In the gas tank it helps melt the varnish and buildup away from metering holes & injectors. Directly into hot idling carb or throttle body (whole can then shutoff & soak for 1hr) will remove carbon from tops of pistons & back of valves. I stock up at Advanced Auto when it goes on sale. Lot of people swear by it and call it a tune up in a can. All my vehicles are addicted to it - especially my 300C.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Varnish in Gas Line - 07/24/11 02:52 PM

Although I have an aversion to magic elixor snake oil products of any kind that you pour/add to an eng I have heard good about Seafoam but I'll stay w my earlier post
© 2024 Moparts Forums