Moparts

Radio condenser help

Posted By: intragration

Radio condenser help - 07/19/11 09:24 AM

Yes, I did a restoration, and yes, I have radio static ha ha. I did the research, and I see basically what I have to do. I'll start with the condenser on the coil, and I will also put one on the radio and see where that leaves me.

My two questions are, how do I wire it on the radio, just between the radio power lead and the radio case? Also, for you electronics guys, can you explain simply the concept behind how this works? Just curious, for my own knowledge. Thank you!
Posted By: noplanb

Re: Radio condenser help - 07/19/11 10:33 AM

It should go between power and ground lead.

A condenser (capacitor) on a DC supply line acts as an AC filter, cleaning up the DC power by shunting AC (noise) to ground. It's like if you had water pressure issues from the city, and you put a big water tank between the city water supply and your house. The supply fills the tank, while the house draws water from the tank. You wouldn't see pressure changes in the line from the house.

A condenser is like a water tank.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Radio condenser help - 07/19/11 11:32 AM

are you running non resistor plugs or solid core sparkplug wires???
Posted By: intragration

Re: Radio condenser help - 07/19/11 07:53 PM

Thank you for the detailed answer.

I don't know exactly what kind of plugs or wires I have. The thing is, I have no capacitors installed, not even on the coil. This is an easy step and should take the noise down to a level that's acceptable to me.
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: Radio condenser help - 07/19/11 10:40 PM

Quote:

Thank you for the detailed answer.

I don't know exactly what kind of plugs or wires I have. The thing is, I have no capacitors installed, not even on the coil. This is an easy step and should take the noise down to a level that's acceptable to me.

If you are running a solid state ignition either stock or add on, capacitors are not going to be much help. They were required on distributors with points. The arcing of the points generated a lot of noise.
The first place to filter ignition noise is with resistive plug wires and resistive plugs. The plug works a spark gap transmitter and the plug wires act as the antenna. Distributed resistance lowers the radiation.
I would look there first and also for any unintended high voltage arcing under the hood from a cracked distributor cap, knicked wire or other gap. Looking under the hood with the engine running in the dark will reveal any issues like that.
Craig
© 2024 Moparts Forums