Moparts

Bent Frame 1971 Challenger convertible

Posted By: sanman68

Bent Frame 1971 Challenger convertible - 07/02/11 07:42 AM

I have had my 1971 Dodge Challenger convertible for 20+ years. It was in an accident early on it’s life before I owned it. I can see the passenger inner fender has been replaced and the frame on that side has been repaired. I am doing a complete rebuild of the front end. While installing the tires I noticed the front wheels are different distances from the fenders. The front quarter panels and hood line up. The gaps are good. You can see the fenders are slid all the way to one side of the inner fender adjustment of on one side and the opposite on the other. In the very front of the fender you can tell it’s out of whack by maybe a inch or so. I am sure nothing else is bent and I know my front end alignment is way off currently due to new front suspension components and everything was unbolted. I put on adjustable upper control arms. They have plenty of room for adjustment to get the camber and caster right but the car will not be square. My question is will I be able to get it aligned properly? Is there a shop in the Minneapolis area that is awesome at old mopar frame/suspensions?

Thanks
Sanman
Posted By: TX9H6E4CUDA

Re: Bent Frame 1971 Challenger convertible - 07/02/11 10:45 AM

Yep a great frame guy is Keith from Center frame amd alignment in Centerville. Keith is a awesome frame guy and does great work. I have had him do three repairables for me and every car has come out arrow straight. He is also into saving the existing panels and will work magic to save it. Every car I have brought him other frame shops wanted to replace the panels but he was able to save them and make it look decent. He does awesome suspension work also. Really cool guy and tell him Garret from Johns auto parts sent you.

Center frame and alignment
651-653-9938
Posted By: 451 D*O*D*G*E

Re: Bent Frame 1971 Challenger convertible - 07/02/11 12:27 PM

Quote:

While installing the tires I noticed the front wheels are different distances from the fenders. The front quarter panels and hood line up. The gaps are good. You can see the fenders are slid all the way to one side of the inner fender adjustment of on one side and the opposite on the other.

I've had three mopars that had this appearence,my current 70 Challenger,a 56 Plymouth,and a 71 Gold Duster that seemed to have offset in rear.All three of these occurances were the pass side wheel appeared to be deeper in the wheelwell
Posted By: SGTFURY62

Re: Bent Frame 1971 Challenger convertible - 07/02/11 05:23 PM

I had one car that once I pulled engine transmission out the drivers side front wheel was off ground about an inch..."hey dad check this out...wheel spinning" No sign of wrecks ever, maybe too much torque in its earlier life?
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: Bent Frame 1971 Challenger convertible - 07/02/11 11:49 PM

Oh yeah, racing torque twist
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Bent Frame 1971 Challenger convertible - 07/03/11 05:43 AM

How does the car drive now? I mean, are you doing this front-end re-build because it's not holding the road correctly because of the accident?

It might be worth your time to measure the wheel-base on both sides of the car to confirm that it is square.

If the metal does need to be re-worked now would be the time to do it instead of looking for adjustments after the fact. Any adjustment available to you is not meant to compensate for bent metal or poor welding and fit-up.
Posted By: blown340

Re: Bent Frame 1971 Challenger convertible - 07/03/11 07:21 AM

check your rear end alignment as well before you get to into messing with the front. Its possible the rear axle is tweaked, or mounted wrong and the front end alignment was used to compensate for it creating some weird angles.

-Jon
Posted By: sanman68

Re: Bent Frame 1971 Challenger convertible - 07/04/11 01:45 PM

I talked to Keith from center frame. I plan on making an appointment with him soon. It will need some frame work and then a alignment. It would have needed and alignment anyhow. My car always drove and stopped crappy. That is why I started rebuilding the front end. I am also installing new brakes. I hope when it is all done I will have a car thats drives straight, turns krisply, stops quickly and smoothly. I am looking a the rear end alignment too. There are no signs of damage to the rear frame at all.

Thanks Sanman

Attached picture 6713015-IMG_2697.JPG
Posted By: Gabmando

Re: Bent Frame 1971 Challenger convertible - 07/07/11 01:45 AM

TX9H6E4CUDA
Mr. Valve Floater ,

Is Keith still in the business and does he do allignmnets also? Thanx.
Gabriel.
Posted By: Gabmando

Re: Bent Frame 1971 Challenger convertible - 08/14/11 06:50 AM

Thank you for posting Keith's info (Center frame and alignment). I will never go anywhere else. He aligned my 98 ram SS/T. Took his time and did a perfect job. Test drove before and after. I will have him check the "frame" on my 73 Challenger Rallye before I start restoring it just to make sure everything is right.
© 2024 Moparts Forums