Moparts

Are MP cams really old Racer Brown designs?

Posted By: R/T1968R/T

Are MP cams really old Racer Brown designs? - 06/29/11 12:32 PM

I was under the assumption that the MP grinds were Racer Brown profiles. When I compared the MP 509 to the SSH-44 the duration is different. Were these really taken at 50 degrees?

MP 509 292 248 at 50
SSH-44 510 292 242 at 50
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Are MP cams really old Racer Brown designs? - 06/29/11 01:00 PM

many years ago mopar would give part numbers to aftermarket cams, racer brown was one of these. the newer purple cams took some ques from the old racer brown profiles but aren't racer browns. i believe mopar did contract with a cam grinder years ago to develope some profiles but i'm pretty sure it wasn't racer brown.
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: Are MP cams really old Racer Brown designs? - 06/29/11 02:03 PM

Quote:

many years ago mopar would give part numbers to aftermarket cams, racer brown was one of these. the newer purple cams took some ques from the old racer brown profiles but aren't racer browns. i believe mopar did contract with a cam grinder years ago to develope some profiles but i'm pretty sure it wasn't racer brown.

the old dc cams where of racer brown origins not m p , built to dc specs,

Re: Are MP cams really old Racer Brown designs? - 06/29/11 03:25 PM

Why are the specs different?
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Are MP cams really old Racer Brown designs? - 06/29/11 09:29 PM

dunno the rest, but the MP 284/480 has its own similar on Crane grinds line. Same on everything
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: Are MP cams really old Racer Brown designs? - 06/29/11 09:40 PM

patm pending,
the dc cams where of racer brown origins, spec by dc
the mp cams could have been either crane or racer brown origins still they wont have same # due to pat infrengments
Posted By: PJ68RT

Re: Are MP cams really old Racer Brown designs? - 06/29/11 10:15 PM

The duration #'s MP lists are suspect...at best. Here's a link that has some updated info.

http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/mpcam-tech-c.htm

Read in the cam notes to find the updated specs. 509 cams looks to be closer to 242 @ .050
Posted By: HYPER8oSoNic

Re: Are MP cams really old Racer Brown designs? - 06/30/11 01:52 AM

Quote:

Why are the specs different?

When Chrysler engineers (later MP developers) took notes from the "older" grinds to make them much more powerful (better torque as well as best hp for each grind) as well as driveability. They may have "tweaked" the ramps and flanks of the cams to go with the better cam technology (read: faster acting) of today!!

Posted By: GTXX

Re: Are MP cams really old Racer Brown designs? - 06/30/11 03:16 AM

the two cams that you're comparing are similar in lift and duration only, every other spec. is different and they run different.

Re: Are MP cams really old Racer Brown designs? - 06/30/11 02:39 PM

Have you had any experience with the SSH-44. I have a new one purchased in the 70s that I may want to try
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Are MP cams really old Racer Brown designs? - 06/30/11 06:29 PM

Quote:

Have you had any experience with the SSH-44. I have a new one purchased in the 70s that I may want to try

i used one in the early '70's. i don't think i'd use it in anything but a 440 4spd. it's actually got about 304 degrees of seat timing. back in the day racer brown cams had an odd advertised duration. its been many years ago but i think some of the advertised numbers were at .017" lift. his catalogs had a wealth of tech info for the time period.
i remember calling "Racer" and talking on the phone about my big ideas. he was very nice and would talk for hours, but you had to call at night. there is a lot of automotive history with Racer and his brother. Racer was the tech editor for hot rod magazine back in the fifties. i have some early fifties mags and still enjoy looking at them. we used to run his cams back in the late '60s to early '70s.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Are MP cams really old Racer Brown designs? - 07/01/11 03:48 PM

I, also think it's a pretty big cam with not a lot of lift for the duration. I bet your favorite cam company could regrind it to a more modern profile and you'd know the cam core was good.
R.
© 2024 Moparts Forums