Moparts

No Marker Lights & No Brake Lights? 68 Charger

Posted By: Gusteve

No Marker Lights & No Brake Lights? 68 Charger - 06/25/11 03:05 AM

Hey all,

My Brake Lights and my Tail-lights / Marker lights are acting weird on my 68 Charger. If I monkey with the headlight switch, and get it in EXACTLY the right position, my marker lights will come on and my brake-lights will work.

It makes sense that something being bad in the switch would make the marker lights only work if the switch was in a certain spot, but what would that have to do with my Brakelights?

I can live without marker lights while I track down a headlight switch, but no brakelights mean I'm not going anywhere.

Am I garaged until I can get a switch or is there something else wrong?

FWIW - I've been blowing a lot of tail-light fuses lately, but I thought that's because my brake pedal switch was mis-adjusted, and the pedal would sag after I parked and the brake-lights would be on for hours. I'm not sure if that tidbit is important.

Re: No Marker Lights & No Brake Lights? 68 Charger - 06/25/11 03:53 AM

Playing with this a little, here's what I get:

Headlight switch off: no brake lights
Switch 1/2 way (position for marker lights on): no markers, no tailights, no dashlights, no brakelights
Switch 3/4 (more or less): marker lights, tailights, dashlights and brakelights all work fine
Switch full on: Headlights on, no marker, dash, tail or brakelights.

I don't see why this would affect the Brakelights working or not-working. Although not having tail-lights is kind of a problem, too.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: No Marker Lights & No Brake Lights? 68 Charger - 06/25/11 04:24 AM

I'd start w pulling the bakelite connector off of the headlight sw & jump fire to each brass terminal in the connector & see if each circuit is isolated. Pull a batt cable & see if there's continuity between the pink/white wires at the brake light sw and any of the terminals in the headlight sw bakelite connector. That should get you started. EDIT continuity w an ohmmeter

Re: No Marker Lights & No Brake Lights? 68 Charger - 06/25/11 06:17 PM

Thanks Robert.

After staring at the wiring diagram for the last hour, I think I understand how all this works. My blinkers operate fine, but they are powered from the ignition switch. My flashers do not work - and the flashers operate off a very short fairly isolated circuit.

So, I'm pretty sure my problem is somewhere between the fusebox and brake switch. At least I hope so, because that will be easier and cheaper to fix than anything that is headlight switch related.
Posted By: HYPER8oSoNic

Re: No Marker Lights & No Brake Lights? 68 Charger - 06/25/11 08:30 PM

Check power side of each circuit for power, if ok then..
Check your Ground side of each circuit for corrosion, bad connections or internal breaks in the wires.

Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: No Marker Lights & No Brake Lights? 68 Charger - 06/25/11 11:51 PM

Sounds like a ground problem.
Posted By: Mopar_Country

Re: No Marker Lights & No Brake Lights? 68 Charger - 06/26/11 03:29 AM

Do your turn signals work? I recently went through similar issues on my car after replacing the cam in the column. I had to pull it apart again and make some adjustment. Everything worked on the front but I had nothing on the rear. After fixing it everything is good.

Re: No Marker Lights & No Brake Lights? 68 Charger - 06/27/11 09:27 PM

Quote:

Do your turn signals work? I recently went through similar issues on my car after replacing the cam in the column. I had to pull it apart again and make some adjustment. Everything worked on the front but I had nothing on the rear. After fixing it everything is good.

Turn signals work. I see that the signal switch seems to be a core part of the brake-light wiring. I was able to test everything up to the headlight switch, but didn't have the chance to test the switch itself. Now I'm out of town until Friday, and I hate to do it but it looks like I'll try and order a headlight switch this afternoon just in case, so it shows up before the weekend. Otherwise if I waited until I got home and tested the switch (which is probably the cause) I wouldn't be able to get a new one in time for the long weekend.

Worst case, if it's not the switch, I suppose I could sell it in the want ads for a small loss.
Posted By: cruzin

Re: No Marker Lights & No Brake Lights? 68 Charger - 06/29/11 03:35 AM

Sounds like two issues going on. The brake lights I don't know. The problem/symptom and being able to get the lights, side marker, dash etc working when toggled 3/4 of the way on, is likely a blown fuse. Next is faulty headlight switch. My guess is the fuse which controls your sidemarkers.
© 2024 Moparts Forums