Moparts

replacing e body dash harness?

Posted By: 440forPOWER

replacing e body dash harness? - 06/19/11 04:38 PM

Hello, is it possible to replace the dash harness on a 70 e body from under the dash? Or will I have to pull the whole dash out or apart. Just trying to plan everything out before jumping in. Thanks
Posted By: shanker

Re: replacing e body dash harness? - 06/19/11 04:47 PM

its best to pull the dash and do all the work. You'll break less pieces and be able to really do a neat/clean job if you work on it while on a bench and install the whole sub-assembly in one piece.

The good news for you is that I "think" that E-Body dashes come out w/o removing the windshield (not true for 68-70 B-Bodies)
Posted By: Annie

Re: replacing e body dash harness? - 06/19/11 05:01 PM

The cluster removed will give you needed access .But the advantage the E body has whole dash comes out with removing windshiled.While your in there check wiper pivot seals and maybe heater core
Posted By: shanker

Re: replacing e body dash harness? - 06/19/11 05:04 PM

I did a dash restoration (in a 1991 Chevrolet truck) last year and its really best to do this on a bench...that way you can organize the harness like it needs to be, as well as route all the wires easily.

I cant stress how much easier it was with the dash out. Although I ended up swapping the entire dash out anyhow.

Re: replacing e body dash harness? - 06/19/11 05:17 PM

Ok, thanks. So do you have to remove the dash pad before you can take out the frame? Or is there any easier way to take it all out at once?
Posted By: jbc426

Re: replacing e body dash harness? - 06/19/11 05:19 PM

Removing the instrument cluster without scratching up the wood decal is the hardest part. The wiring is not that hard to remove once the cluster is out. Is it an A/C car? Those are harder

Drop the column, pull the cluster, remove ashtray, radio and glovebox. There's some built in straps that are hard to reattach when re-installing, but it's not that bad either way.

Take lots of close-up pictures as you disassemble, especially of how the wiring is routed around components etc.

It will be a good time to deal with the Amp Gauge Bypass and Wiring Bulkhead Issues when you are in there.

Attached picture 6689943-IMG_1576(Large).JPG

Re: replacing e body dash harness? - 06/19/11 06:14 PM

Thanks, yes it's an ac car. The bulkhead and ammeter bypass has been done. But I was thinking of having the volt meter put in so I could hook it all back up right.
© 2024 Moparts Forums