Moparts

Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ?

Posted By: MidPenMopar

Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/19/11 07:02 AM

Coming home tonight in my 1969 road runner i lost all my dash lights. The headlights and parking lights work fine and the dimmer will turn on the interior light if i click it all the way. Just all my dash light are dead. They just shut off by themselves with no warning. I had all the switches rebuilt a couple of years ago and all has been fine since i got the whole dash back.

So what do you think would be the most logical place to start looking to fix the problem??

Thanks
Stu
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/19/11 07:05 AM

Were you using the high beam switch on the floor during the drive?
Posted By: DennisH

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/19/11 07:16 AM

Play around with the thumbwheel dimmer switch on the dash. Go past the notch then up and down.
Posted By: bigblock340power

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/19/11 07:20 AM

Any fuses to that run?

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/19/11 07:22 AM

I tried the high beam a few times and no luck. I tried the dimmer wheel up and down and all around but no effect either....
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/19/11 07:28 AM

Replace the high beam switch then. Cheap place to start.
Posted By: migsBIG

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/19/11 09:55 AM

oh, sorry to hear that stu. Yes, start with the high beam. If it's a stock harness, look for melted plastic around it. Very common problem. Hope your back and going soon.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/19/11 02:22 PM

stu there is one position on the dimmer wheel just before you turn on the dome light that puts the dash lights on full bright , if you have that position then it's the dimmer switch , common problem 40yrs down the road .
Posted By: NV69B7RR

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/19/11 03:29 PM

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/19/11 03:58 PM

Quote:

stu there is one position on the dimmer wheel just before you turn on the dome light that puts the dash lights on full bright , if you have that position then it's the dimmer switch , common problem 40yrs down the road .

The dimmer can be rolled through all the positions and not get the dash lights to come on at all. It will at the final stop get the dome light to work as it should.

I had the same problem with my other road runner years ago and it was the dimmer but that was with a corrored swith and this is with a newly rebuilt switch so am not thinking it's in there.

I have never replaced the HIGH BEAM switch but i can not understand how that would affect the dash lights??? Or does it come into play for that problem??

Thanks for the help guys!
Posted By: Pat_Whalen

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/19/11 04:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The dimmer can be rolled through all the positions and not get the dash lights to come on at all. It will at the final stop get the dome light to work as it should.

I had the same problem with my other road runner years ago and it was the dimmer but that was with a corrored swith and this is with a newly rebuilt switch so am not thinking it's in there.

I have never replaced the HIGH BEAM switch but i can not understand how that would affect the dash lights??? Or does it come into play for that problem??

Thanks for the help guys!

Highbeam switch is a two leg switch that all of the current for the headlights (normal and highbeams) flows through. You theoretically could remove the plug from it and jumper two of the three contacts and you should get some headlights if that is your only problem.
Posted By: A12

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/19/11 04:38 PM

Do you have halogen headlights by chance?
Posted By: Annie

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/19/11 04:45 PM

If roll switch wiggle doesnt do and floor dimmer looks ok .The dash lights are a 3 amp fuse just jump a alterernate power source to it in the fuse box .Try another fuse before they are hard to see when they go
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/19/11 04:51 PM

Quote:

Replace the high beam switch then. Cheap place to start.

Slight hi-jack. Can someone explain to me what the dimmer switch has to do with the dash lights? My New Yorker has dash lights on lowbeam but they go out on highbeam. It's on its 3rd dimmer switch since I got the car and I just figured I had a weird ground issue (the car is cursed I'm convinced) but now that I see this post recommending changing the dimmer to solve a dashlight prob

My experience has always been that if the dash lights go out, you also lost the tail lights ie tail light fuse but the OP said his tails are OK so

Kevin

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/19/11 04:57 PM

Quote:

Do you have halogen headlights by chance?

Nope they are just the stock headlights. I can not see how the high beam switch would have any affect on the dash lights or does it???
Posted By: therocks

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/19/11 05:36 PM

The hi beam dosent have much to do with the dash light.It supplies the headlights and the hi indicator.Id say 99.99% it the reostat on the headligfht switch.Ive had a ton of hi beam switches go bad and replaced and never ever in over 40 years saw one that took out the dash lights.Pull the switch and check for power to the reostat and jumper it to the dash wire.I can just about guarantee they will work.Rocky

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/19/11 06:07 PM

Quote:

Pull the switch and check for power to the reostat and jumper it to the dash wire.I can just about guarantee they will work.Rocky

If it's a bad DIMMER switch are new ones still avaialble anymore??
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/19/11 06:16 PM

New ones are not available, but there is a guy who rebuilds them. I've got a couple that I recently pulled out that will be for sale soon. One thing to keep in mind is that the dome light part of the dimmer switch is a completely separate circuit. There are several potential causes of this issue and they all are a pain to check out except the fuse.

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/19/11 06:27 PM

Quote:

New ones are not available, but there is a guy who rebuilds them. I've got a couple that I recently pulled out that will be for sale soon. One thing to keep in mind is that the dome light part of the dimmer switch is a completely separate circuit. There are several potential causes of this issue and they all are a pain to check out except the fuse.

Yea i am dreading this as my back is messed up i can not get under the dash anymore to pull stuff out like i use to be able to do.

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/19/11 06:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yea i am dreading this as my back is messed up i can not get under the dash anymore to pull stuff out like i use to be able to do.

One thing that makes it easier is removing the driver seat. With it out you can lay down and not be contorted.....

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/19/11 06:34 PM

It is also easier to work on the dash with the steering column out of the way. I would also be tempted to bypass the rheostat completely and have full voltage to the dash lights.

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/19/11 06:38 PM

Quote:

It is also easier to work on the dash with the steering column out of the way. I would also be tempted to bypass the rheostat completely and have full voltage to the dash lights.

You know that was an idea i was thinking as i have never needed to turn down the lights ever!

Hey will the switch come out from the front of the dash??
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/19/11 07:59 PM

Just a thought, did you check the fuse for the dash lights and the fuse for the tailights? Either one will kill the dash lights.

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/19/11 08:16 PM

Quote:

Just a thought, did you check the fuse for the dash lights and the fuse for the tailights? Either one will kill the dash lights.

Ok i am on that now............. Well as soon as i can muster up the courage to get under the dash as thats where we relocated the fuse panel too.

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/19/11 09:35 PM

Ok fuses all good and i pulled the connector out of the switch just to make sure it was tight and plugged it back but still no light. Then i got stuck under the dash and had to have my kids and wife yank me out. Luckly i had my shops come-along handy.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/19/11 11:27 PM

Quote:

Ok fuses all good and i pulled the connector out of the switch just to make sure it was tight and plugged it back but still no light. Then i got stuck under the dash and had to have my kids and wife yank me out. Luckly i had my shops come-along handy.

STU..
Yank off the 3 tab connector to the dimmer switch, jumper the (2) leads I think they are Orange that went through the dimmer rheostadt. This will send a full 12V to the dash lites. Also check the connector to make sure that 12V is incoming from the headlite switch..

Post back your findings..

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/19/11 11:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

STU..
Yank off the 3 tab connector to the dimmer switch, jumper the (2) leads I think they are Orange that went through the dimmer rheostadt. This will send a full 12V to the dash lites. Also check the connector to make sure that 12V is incoming from the headlite switch..

I wish i could do that but getting stuck under the dash one time was enough for today...

Can those switches be accessed from the front fo the dash??

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/20/11 12:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

STU..

I wish i could do that but getting stuck under the dash one time was enough for today...

Yes and no......if that darn complete switch plate (with all of the switches) would come out without having to get behind and under the dash yes it would. If you remove the two screws from the back (again not possible without getting on your back under the dash) then you could just unplug it, take the screws out and pull the switch out from under the back of the dash.

I have the dash out right now on the '69 GTX and I fought that switch plate pretty hard and about to put it back in the next few hours; what a PITA. I'm changing the complete underdash wiring harness and been under there for the last two days, not only a PITA but as you said a pain in the back too....Back to your situation there is no way I know of without getting behind and under the dash to get that switch out. Taking out the two screws and pulling the switch out of the back to me at least is the quickest, easiest way but still requires getting on your back.

MikeR

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/20/11 12:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

STU..

Nope..
You are going to have to lose 50 pounds and about 10 inches from the waistline..
Then slip under the dash, left side of the column..

Can't fix the runner from the patio drinking a beer..
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/20/11 12:53 AM

Why floor dimmer? Headlights are fine. I would focus on the inst fuseand related wiring which you checked, that only get juice when the light switch is turned on. When the inst circuit is working correctly, you can use a standard test light from ground to fuse box inst fuse and see light dim and brighten as you roll the dash dimmer.
Posted By: basketcase

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/20/11 01:22 AM

Quote:

Play around with the thumbwheel dimmer switch on the dash. Go past the notch then up and down.

I'd go with the dash dimmer switch.

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/20/11 01:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'd go with the dash dimmer switch.

Me too, usually the tab/contact that runs against the springy thing wears or bends and loses contact.....sometimes just in different places but in your case completely. I don't remember if I was able to bend the contact and get one to work before or if it was another brand car.....getting too old or spent too much time under the dash the last two days

MikeR
Posted By: mopar_man

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/20/11 01:57 AM

Stu , i'm no expert , but as far as i'm concerned your high beam dimmer has dik all to do with your dash lights.. only the high beam indicator. If your can confirm that the dash light fuse is ok (and you have 12v there) and that you have the dash light dimmer on its highest point (just before dome light comes on) , i'm saying its the plug where it plugs into your printed circuit board . I bet if you move it around or jiggle it a little, light should work.......providing that all your dash light bulbs never blew .
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/20/11 01:59 AM

Sounds like that maybe the reostat on the HL switch shorted out. Pretty common problem. Bulkhead connector that connects to the hl switch comes loose over time gets hot and shorts out. With your HLs on put your thumb against the switch to see if its hot to the touch. Really only way to tell is reach under and disconnect the connector. If it was loose you'll see some burn marks.
Posted By: MonGoo$e

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/20/11 02:22 AM

my dash lights were a no-go in the 73 Duster, replaced switch, dimmer, bulbs, cleaned the circuit board, checked grounds..all fuses. Guess what? it was the connector on the backside of the fusebox to one end of the fuse, it was corroded. I swapped a nice one from a junk fuse box and wah-la! LIGHTS

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/20/11 03:43 AM

Mine have been working perfectly since i had the car apart and the rebuilt dash installed. I got all new or rebuilt switches and guages. I also swapped the fuse box so i do not think it's that. Seems more like some type of connection issue or something broke in the switch??
Posted By: Y3 70 BEE

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/20/11 04:42 AM

Not sure on a 69 RR but the instrument cluster is usually grounded thru the screws that hold it to the dash frame. If the screws loosen up you loose the ground.
Posted By: roadrunner7020

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/20/11 05:10 AM

Try jumping the dash dimmer switch to test the switch I'll post a picture as soon as possible on what needs to be jumped I lost my lights and have them jumped for now. You'll lose the ability to turn on and off the dome light but it will let you know of the switch is bad
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/20/11 05:15 AM

Going over bumps in the roaqd has a way of loosening stuff up
Posted By: roadrunner7020

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/20/11 05:32 AM

This is what you would Jump
Id try this if it works then something is wrong in the switch.

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/20/11 07:54 AM

Quote:

Try jumping the dash dimmer switch to test the switch I'll post a picture as soon as possible on what needs to be jumped I lost my lights and have them jumped for now. You'll lose the ability to turn on and off the dome light but it will let you know of the switch is bad

If one wants to still have the rotary dimmer control the dome lite, while the jumper bypassing the rheostadt is installed..
Simply run 1 more wire from the connector back to that respective terminal on the rotary dimmer control. The dome lite works by grounding that terminal..

Just my $0.02...

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/20/11 11:29 AM

I looked in my '67 FSM and if the circuitry is the same for '69, the fuse for the instrument panel lights feeds the lights directly, the fuse for the tailights feeds the headlight switch directly. If you have a voltmeter, check for voltage at the tailight fuse and the instrument panel light fuse. No power at tailight fuse, problem is before the switch. Power at the instrument panel light fuse, switch is OK and problem is in the dash. You can fill in the other possibilities. A little troubleshooting is easier than tearing the whole dash apart.

(Don't feel bad, I have to pull the front seat out to work on anything under the dash)

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/20/11 01:18 PM

Thanks everyone for the great ideas!!

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/21/11 04:33 AM

Ok so when the headlight switch is in the middle positon the parking lights work fine and when in the top position the headlights work fine so that means the headlight switch is all good right??

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/21/11 05:17 AM

Possibly. The dash lights still get voltage from the headlight switch.

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/21/11 01:03 PM

Quote:

Ok thanks Jim, i'm at a loss as how to do this repair without getting under the dash. I just can not get under there anymore so i hope it cna be fixed from the front of the dash.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/21/11 01:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ok thanks Jim, i'm at a loss as how to do this repair without getting under the dash. I just can not get under there anymore so i hope it cna be fixed from the front of the dash.

Don't drive at night
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/21/11 01:51 PM

Grab a skinny kid out of the alley and make him go under there.
Seriously, can't you find some one to help? I take the seat out as well. Then my fat a** can lay down and get it done. Kinda my favorite position these days. Still get my arms cut and stuck, so I try to get one of the Grand kids to volenteer.

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/21/11 02:19 PM

Quote:

Don't drive at night

Funny you say that.......

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/21/11 06:31 PM

Quote:

Grab a skinny kid out of the alley and make him go under there.
Seriously, can't you find some one to help? I take the seat out as well. Then my fat a** can lay down and get it done. Kinda my favorite position these days. Still get my arms cut and stuck, so I try to get one of the Grand kids to volenteer.

I know a thin kid who lives nearby.......but he works a LOT.......

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/21/11 11:53 PM

Quote:

I know a thin kid who lives nearby.......but he works a LOT.......

If Alan is knowledgeable on this sort of thing and wants to earn some cash I would gladly pay him for his time to fix this for me.

It's almost impossible to find anyone who will work on electrical stuff like this anymore. I had no problem doing it myself a few years ago, but things sure have changed since then mobility wise.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/21/11 11:59 PM

It's the accessibility of that dash Stu. You could have fixed it by now just about blindfolded, if the whole dash was out of the car and laying face down on your workbench or countertop in your bar there, so you could even enjoy a cold one or two while repairing.

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/22/11 12:16 AM

Quote:

It's the accessibility of that dash Stu. You could have fixed it by now just about blindfolded, if the whole dash was out of the car and laying face down on your workbench or countertop in your bar there, so you could even enjoy a cold one or two while repairing.

Oh i know as i did all the switches last time on my other 69 and 70 with issues at all. I did have to lay under the dash for an hour or so but the hardest part was finding the switches not taking them out and reinstlaling them. I tried last weekend to lay under there and in 30 seconds i was wrecked.....
Posted By: Y3 70 BEE

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/22/11 05:23 AM

Well with the lights out maybe you and the wife can go park and crank up The Tower of Power on the 8 track.

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/22/11 05:30 PM

Alan lacks some electrical expertise, but this is a simple circuit. Ask him what he thinks.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/22/11 08:13 PM

Quote:

Don't drive at night

Get a flashlight? Coal miners hat?
Posted By: wvmarv

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/22/11 08:14 PM

Since you can't even get down to unplug the dimmer switch I would say you better call up your local auto electric shop and make an appointment. No amount of advice is going to help if you can't get in there and work on it.

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/22/11 08:58 PM

Quote:

Coming home tonight in my 1969 road runner i lost all my dash lights. The headlights and parking lights work fine and the dimmer will turn on the interior light if i click it all the way. Just all my dash light are dead. They just shut off by themselves with no warning. I had all the switches rebuilt a couple of years ago and all has been fine since i got the whole dash back.

So what do you think would be the most logical place to start looking to fix the problem??

Thanks
Stu

Stu..
Here is a contact for an experienced auto-electric shop, near U..

GF Automotive
202 Ryan Way
South San Francisco, CA 94080
(650) 952-8440

Just my $0.02...

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/23/11 01:39 AM

Quote:

[GF Automotive
202 Ryan Way
South San Francisco, CA 94080
(650) 952-8440

Just my $0.02...

Thank you for the referal but I use to go to them for a lot of stuff like that but they ripped me off so badly a few years ago i vowded to never use them again.

From time to time i would stop by and chat with the lady owner and one day I was in there and the she told me they were very slow, so i flet bad for them offered to let them install two under dash guages i bought. She told me at the most two hours labor at $100 an hour as no parts were needed. I agreed and when i came back to pick up the car the bill was over $700!! Just to put in two guages, i supplied even.

The mechenic who did the work appoligezed to me and said he could not control what his boss charges but he felt i was ripped off as well. I complained and she said i was not getting the car back ever untill i paid the $700 and if the car got messed up when i was disputing the bill it was not her fault. So i paid and told her i would do my best to let everyone know what a con job she pulled on me. That was my expernce with GF automotive.

I am hopeing as soon as i can get my back to heal enough to let me get under the dash i will attack the situation. I appericate all the good advice and one great idea was to bypass the dimmer circut and just go for all the time full bightness when the dash lights are on.

For anyone who as never had back issues it's incredible to discribe the excruciating pain that can be caused by lying in contored positions for more than a minute or two.
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/23/11 02:00 AM

Alternative lighting?

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/23/11 02:05 AM

Right now i have those Velcro tap lights above the gauges...

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/23/11 04:15 AM

You are making this waaaaay too hard. I checked my '69 FSM, only two fuses in the circuit, tailight and instrument panel lights. Turn on the park lights, do you have tailights? If you do tailight fuse is good. With the park lights still on, check for voltage on both sided of the instrument panel fuse, do you have it? If you do the problem isn't the switch. I can't believe all this discussion about jumpering this and that without doing a couple simple tests to see if it is the switch.

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/23/11 04:21 AM

Quote:

I can't believe all this discussion about jumpering this and that without doing a couple simple tests to see if it is the switch.

Yep i checked all the fuses and they are good to go for voltage. So it's probably the dimmer switch rheostat itself gone bad.
Posted By: mickm

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/23/11 06:50 AM

stu. two words.

gordon.

anderson.

mickm

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 06/23/11 11:50 AM

Quote:

Yep i checked all the fuses and they are good to go for voltage. So it's probably the dimmer switch rheostat itself gone bad.

Excellent! Now look at these two wiring diagrams.

http://mymopar.com/downloads/1969/69BelvedereGTXSatelliteRoadRunnerA.JPG
http://mymopar.com/downloads/1969/69BelvedereGTXSatelliteRoadRunnerB.JPG

If you start with the headlight switch you notice the black wire that goes to the panel light switch.
From the panel light switch a tan wire goes to the instrument panel fuse in the fuse block,
From the fuse block an orange wire goes (through a splice) to pin 1 of the instrument cluster which is the panel light feed.

Bottom line, if you have voltage at the instrument panel fuse, you have continuity through the panel light switch and it's probably not bad. Want to make sure? Put your voltmeter on the instrument panel fuse and roll the panel light switch. The voltage should vary as you operate the switch.

Good luck.

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 07/13/11 02:23 PM

Hello all who commented on this problem as an update I finally got the dimmer switch issue fixed yesterday. I took the car to a friend's shop and he bypassed the dimmer rheostat completely. So now the dash lights stay on full bright when I am in park or headlight position.

Thank you for the advice that really helped!!

Stu

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 07/13/11 10:51 PM

Quote:

Hello all who commented on this problem as an update I finally got the dimmer switch issue fixed yesterday. I took the car to a friend's shop and he bypassed the dimmer rheostat completely. So now the dash lights stay on full bright when I am in park or headlight position.

Stu

Hmmm...
Stu finally did what we posted about 4 weeks back..

Just my $0.02...

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 07/14/11 01:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Stu

Hmmm...
Stu finally did what we posted about 4 weeks back..

Just my $0.02...

Yep it took that long to find the time to get the car off the road long enough...........Been a busy four weeks.

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 07/14/11 03:32 AM

Quote:

I installed an NOS dimmer switch from a German WW2 era Me109 Messerschmidt into my Duster - works great. I'll look for one for you too.

Attached picture 6728690-me109dimmer.JPG

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 07/14/11 11:07 PM

Quote:

I installed an NOS dimmer switch from a German WW2 era Me109 Messerschmidt into my Duster - works great. I'll look for one for you too.

That's way off the cool factor chart!!

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 07/15/11 05:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That's way off the cool factor chart!!

Thanks

I wasn't sure how to mount it best, so I bought an NOS German WW2 era Me109 Messerschmidt dimmer switch mounting bracket for it.

It has a tritium arrow indicator on the knob so I always know where its pointing even in the dark.

I could probably drive my car off a hundred foot cliff and it would still function perfectly.

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 07/15/11 05:42 AM

Does that have a position for "Hell" on it??

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 07/15/11 05:48 AM

Quote:

Does that have a position for "Hell" on it??

Means "bright", but adds to the cool factor.

Attached picture 6730646-gauge.jpg

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 07/15/11 05:55 AM

Oh man that's too funny!!

Re: Lost all my dash lights tonight where would i start ? - 07/15/11 06:03 AM

Quote:

Oh man that's too funny!!

Set to full Hell!

I did research - often the dimmer was mounted in the front of the cockpit to dull the glare for night fighting, the bracket i found was used in variants to mount it on the left side vertically. Worked for me - can you tell I was bored with my "finished" car and needed something else to do?

Probably the most expensive dimmer setup ever installed in a car.
© 2024 Moparts Forums