Moparts

Steering wheel and Ignition

Posted By: Caparco

Steering wheel and Ignition - 06/18/11 11:49 PM

Bent the inside pins of my 72 Challeger key ignition.. now my key won't work, Im in need of re-placing the ignition lock cylinder

Locksmith seems to think I need a whole new ignition lock cylinder with a different key

Question is are these still available and how much work is taking the steering coloumn apart to re-place this, Does the steering wheel need to be pulled with a special tool?.. has anyone done this job, to help me with info?
Posted By: terzmo

Re: Steering wheel and Ignition - 06/19/11 12:57 AM

You can get them on e-bay

Re: Steering wheel and Ignition - 06/19/11 05:03 AM

I got one.. anyone ever put a Ignition lock cylinder in?
Posted By: bigblock340power

Re: Steering wheel and Ignition - 06/19/11 07:32 AM

Quote:

I got one.. anyone ever put a Ignition lock cylinder in?

Yes I rebuilt my '71 column. You'll have to go in from the front. Wheel off first, and so on. Best thing you can do is take pics (lots of pics) at each segment of the tare down. Is your column a locking one?
Posted By: therocks

Re: Steering wheel and Ignition - 06/19/11 12:54 PM

72s had locking columns.Its not a hard job if you have a FS manual and wheel puller.Probally need a lock plate compressor also.I used to get them off by pushing with my thumbs and having my kid get the ring off with a pick.Best thing to do is get a FSM.It has pics and instructions.Rocky

Re: Steering wheel and Ignition - 06/19/11 01:21 PM

So i do need a wheel puller, and whats a lock compressor?
im really not sure what a FS manual is either, why am i so lost ,I was hoping on getting this info from this site!

I have the 2 repair manuals, Body and Engine if thats what you mean, but its not in there, pretty odd a repair manual would leave out the coloumn.

More info is Greatly needed, thinking of tackling this today
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Steering wheel and Ignition - 06/19/11 02:06 PM

FS,Facyory Service,manual.worth its weight in gold.

Re: Steering wheel and Ignition - 06/19/11 02:42 PM

have that

but it tells me lots of special tools are needed.. these available?

Lock Plate pin tool
Steering wheel puller
Steering shaft removal tool
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Steering wheel and Ignition - 06/19/11 04:30 PM

Some parts stores will rent you the tools needed to remove the steering wheel and lock plate.

Re: Steering wheel and Ignition - 06/26/11 01:36 AM

*********** UPDATE **********

The Lock plate cylinder ended up to be a pretty easy job, For Challenger you need 2 extra! long 3/8 bolts, so you have to modify the wheel pullers they sell in auto shops.

after the snap clip and yanking the blinkers there no need to pull any more to access the lock plate

need any help .. PM me
Posted By: therocks

Re: Steering wheel and Ignition - 06/26/11 02:15 PM

Glad you fixed it.Any good locksmith can key the new ign to the oe key.Last one I had done for my 57 was about 25 bucks and he made me 3 keys.Rocky
© 2024 Moparts Forums