Moparts

The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did ....

Posted By: dOoC

The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/13/11 04:02 PM

Just from recent experiences ..... GOOD .... serp belts and those SLICK tensioners ....

The BAD ? ... the way they positioned the water-pump on a 3.3/3.8 motor on a 2003 Caravan. THEN the way they jammed it up next to the frame ....the LEAST they could have done is "punch" the frame for the ease of R&R.

Yurrrr thoughts ?
Posted By: buildanother

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/13/11 04:22 PM

I'm sure it ticked you off some, but just about all mfgs have built stuff that has made me say *@&%$# on occasion.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/13/11 05:22 PM

I'd have to say the redesign of the Dodge Ram from 94 on up,....piss poor suspension design, horrible engine placement/accesss, canal water sucking transmissions, bad brakelines and gas tank straps,....suck ar$e water pump/clutch fan set-up, about the only thing they did get right was building a "good looking" truck......everything else mechanicaly was FUBAR
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/13/11 09:33 PM

Having to pull the ENTIRE dash out to replace the evaporator in a '93 Caravan. The designers probably figured the car would be dead long before the evaporator.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/13/11 09:48 PM

In the last few years some Genius came up with the idea that when the cruise is set and you go DOWN a hill your fresh new Mopar will downshift to slow it down. Revving the pee out of the engine, killing fuel mileage, and surprising the crap out of everyone, this most fun feature is very usefull for when a loaded 18-wheeler is behind you.

The Engineer that thought of this was the Kid you went tobogganing/bicycling with and dragged his feet down the hill while bawling for his Mommy.

Reward offered to the tuning company that can bypass this counter-productive "safety feature".
Posted By: stumpy

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/13/11 10:09 PM

If it's set at 70 it will still be going 70 so what's the big deal?
Posted By: PLUM_72

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/14/11 04:12 AM

Great vehicle design! BUT its poorly executed...

My last recent Mopar was a 2000 Grand Cherokee Ltd. with 4.7 V8. Loved the truck! Great design, good engine, very torquey especially with the 3.73 rear end. The HVAC system just sucked. I think I replaced just about every component in that system. Finally got rid of it in 08.

In general what I've noticed about Chrysler from back in the day to the present; at lot of the trim tabs and features that hold things together, inside and out, never last. Initial quality might be good, but the damn thing falls apart just after the warranty is up.

It is that which holds me back from buying a new Challenger...
Posted By: ahy

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/14/11 04:20 AM

Quote:

In the last few years some Genius came up with the idea that when the cruise is set and you go DOWN a hill your fresh new Mopar will downshift to slow it down. Revving the pee out of the engine, killing fuel mileage, and surprising the crap out of everyone, this most fun feature is very usefull for when a loaded 18-wheeler is behind you.

The Engineer that thought of this was the Kid you went tobogganing/bicycling with and dragged his feet down the hill while bawling for his Mommy.

Reward offered to the tuning company that can bypass this counter-productive "safety feature".

Smokies often set up on downhill slopes - that feature has saved me a ticket or two...
Posted By: superbyrd

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/14/11 04:24 AM

i am not digging the guy that came up with the great idea of "gluing" the windows in the regulator track of the 90's grand cherokees'.
Posted By: ahy

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/14/11 04:29 AM

60's and 70's wiring that "sailed too close to the wind" in loads for individal wires and especially the bulkhead connector. Not too hard to fix now but a bad idea at the time.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/14/11 04:52 AM

Although I understand the advantages of "Rear Steer" steering linkage and the torsion bar suspension, these features DO play hell with header fitment.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/14/11 05:26 AM

Compared to many other car brands, I'd say Mopar stuff was better designed and easier to work on.
I don't know about the 2003 caravan, but the water pump on my 1999 Carvan was very easy to replace. I did install the Gates belt/idler/tensioner kit that replaces the tensioner and idler with groved pulleys, and the belt is groved on both sides so it can't slip off.
Replacing the waterpump on a Pontiac Grand-Am with the quad4 is a real pain. It's chain driven, I think off of the timing chain, mounted next to the firewall, bolts to the block, timing cover and thermostat.
Posted By: 70SWGR

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/14/11 05:31 AM

4" boltpattern on a-bodies
Posted By: 446acuda

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/14/11 04:35 PM

Bad-/6, sb and bb unmachined valve cover rail on head
Stupid-have to remove cam gears to remove rear timing cover to change water pump on 2.0/2.4 dohc and there is very little room between the gears and the inner fender.
good-dry intake, easy oil pump R&R, front distributor and simple water pump replacement on big block.
Posted By: Magnumguy

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/14/11 06:18 PM

6 lug wheels on Dakotas!!!

Parts interchange: For instance, a master cyl. from a 79 Magnum will fit on a 94 Dakota for instance But parts books say they won't
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/14/11 06:51 PM

good -- stuck with the tried and true 318 and 360 for what...40 years?! sure it got upgrades like EFI, but in whole, it's the same motor.

bad -- amp meters in the dash, taking the full load of the alternator through the wire harness, bulk head connectors, to the gauge, back to the wire harness, bulk head connectors and out to the battery.
Posted By: chargervert

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/14/11 09:04 PM

good: The Mopar big block,with the external mounted oil pump,front mounted distributor,and 4 bolt water pump. A very easy engine to work on and maintain.

bad: The exhaust mainfold bolts going into the water jacket on the cylinder heads. With stock manifolds,the studs almost always come out with the nuts when removing them to change gaskets. With Headders the studs need to be removed to install them. This always causes a big coolant mess every time that the bolts are removed.
Posted By: 383man

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/14/11 10:19 PM

Quote:

good -- stuck with the tried and true 318 and 360 for what...40 years?! sure it got upgrades like EFI, but in whole, it's the same motor.

bad -- amp meters in the dash, taking the full load of the alternator through the wire harness, bulk head connectors, to the gauge, back to the wire harness, bulk head connectors and out to the battery.

They did correct the amp gauge problem around 1971 as they went to a shunt type amp gauge so the amp gauge only carried a small amount of the current. But probably not as accurate. Ron
Posted By: 340duster340

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/14/11 11:05 PM

Quote:

Great vehicle design! BUT its poorly executed...

My last recent Mopar was a 2000 Grand Cherokee Ltd. with 4.7 V8. Loved the truck! Great design, good engine, very torquey especially with the 3.73 rear end. The HVAC system just sucked. I think I replaced just about every component in that system. Finally got rid of it in 08.

In general what I've noticed about Chrysler from back in the day to the present; at lot of the trim tabs and features that hold things together, inside and out, never last. Initial quality might be good, but the damn thing falls apart just after the warranty is up.

It is that which holds me back from buying a new Challenger...

.. also good call on the chally..my dad bought an 09 srt8 new and it looks like it was painted outside. my brothers jeep liberty .. the interior pretty much self destructed, and my moms jeep grand cherokee ac box had and still has all kinds of problems.

MY favorite blunder were the mini vans that had the fan controller on the frame rail...eventually they would go bad from being exposed to the elements and the elec fan would stop, then it was a matter of time before a tank on the radiator blew. when i was working in a shop a changed a bunch all had the same issue.
Posted By: T2R9

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/14/11 11:54 PM

How about having to remove the front bumper cover to replace a headlamp bulb on a Concord.
Posted By: joedust451

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/15/11 01:05 AM

Quote:

bad: The exhaust mainfold bolts going into the water jacket on the cylinder heads. With stock manifolds,the studs almost always come out with the nuts when removing them to change gaskets. With Headders the studs need to be removed to install them. This always causes a big coolant mess every time that the bolts are removed.

There is a fix, at least for me there is, when you have the heads off or in the car (if the studs come out), remove the old studs, replace them with shorter (grade 8) ones to where there is about 2 threads sticking past the nuts, then its easier to install the headers, they slip right on, no more coolant problems, I've done this a few times when installing BBs in my A bodies, Now i used FW headers, BUT, I had no problem getting shuamacker headers.
Posted By: mopar_man

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/15/11 03:14 AM

bad: having to install points and condenser in early A bod slant six without removing the dist.

good : from late 50s on to what ever , all starting motors being interchangeable. take one off a /6 and put it on a 440.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/15/11 03:38 PM

Quote:

How about having to remove the front bumper cover to replace a headlamp bulb on a Concord.

and Calibers I think too
Posted By: john55

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/15/11 04:02 PM

SKIS evaporator cores Service Engine Soon light
Posted By: Annie

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/15/11 04:11 PM

I remember doing a water pump for a friend with a 94 Ram .Worse part was getting the upper factory squueze clamp off the top bypass hose with nothing for access.They left you the choice of working at it through the opening in the alum bracket.Or removing the entire alum bracket assembly

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/15/11 04:16 PM

Quote:

I remember doing a water pump for a friend with a 94 Ram .Worse part was getting the upper factory squueze clamp off the top bypass hose with nothing for access.They left you the choice of working at it through the opening in the alum bracket.Or removing the entire alum bracket assembly

.....but, but, you have to remove the bracket thingy to get intake off to do the plenum cover anyway.

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/15/11 04:18 PM

Here is a good one many may not know. But on the old reduction gear starters when I would rebuild them Ma put a washer on end of the armature where the brushes go with 4 bent legs on it. It worked great when assembling the starter as the washer would hold the 4 brushes in place so you could slip the armature right in and the brushes would fall in place against the armature when it pushed the washer out. It really made it much easier when assembling it. Ron

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/15/11 04:27 PM

That was a genious feature, especially when most people are limited to just two hands. Usually.
Posted By: Magnumguy

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/15/11 04:29 PM

Quote:

What? Really?

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/15/11 05:56 PM

I know the 300 is a little trickier to get lamps out than same year intrepid, but bumper cover can stay on car. May have to loosen upper end a bit.
Posted By: president61

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/16/11 12:36 AM

that stupid screw in upper ball joint

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/16/11 12:41 AM

Wasn't there a model that had the battery hidden behind an inner fender?
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/16/11 12:48 AM

I still hate the ridiculous crimped-on steering shaft coupler cover...

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/16/11 01:10 AM

Quote:

I still hate the ridiculous crimped-on steering shaft coupler cover...

ME TOO.... What a POS. I have pulled numerous steering boxes and/or steering columns and my success rate with these things is dismal.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/16/11 01:20 AM

THE GOOD;made it so we dont have to drive a brand ex. THE BAD;didnt make enough HEMI,S. when i could afford one i didnt want one,now i want one and cant afford it
Posted By: topbrent

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/16/11 03:41 AM

The different bolt pattern on Slant Six, small block and Big block-Hemi bellhousings.
Posted By: AdventurerSport

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/16/11 03:42 AM

Quote:

My 2008 Avenger and her JS-body siblings are that way...

As said...big blocks were awesome! 4 bolt water pump, external oil pump, dry intake, front distributor, all great features!! All water pumps should be this way!! Whomever put the water pump behind a timing cover should be shot...

Engine interchangeability is great amongst Mopars, probably something that we take for granted, but remember when GM built 4 completely different V8 engines of the same size? At one time, Buick, Olds, Chevy and Pontiac all had 350 and 400 cubic inch engines, each of which were completely different from the others. At least a 383 Plymouth engine is the same as a Dodge 383, etc. Ford had at least 3 different 351s, a 352, a couple different 302s, etc. Even made 427, 428 and 429 engines all based off of different blocks!!!

JS
Posted By: sixbbl69

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/16/11 03:48 AM

the good thing was they built a 69 road runner.the bad. where do i start.
Posted By: 68KillerBee

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/16/11 06:41 AM

On cars with popout rear windows, the drainage system SUCKS. Not much of a good seal there so the rain just falls down the inside of the quarterpanel.
Posted By: mcmopars

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/16/11 10:50 AM

bought a 61 that had flat tires because owner couldnt get the lugs off.he said they were on way too tight.but only on one side.
Posted By: bigsbigelow

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/16/11 12:31 PM

Quote:

bought a 61 that had flat tires because owner couldnt get the lugs off.he said they were on way too tight.but only on one side.

Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/16/11 12:36 PM

Quote:

Stratus for sure as I know from personal experience. I think the Intrepids and last FWD NewYorkers were too.

Posted By: gtx6970

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/16/11 01:12 PM

Bad - Neon head gaskets. someday I'd like to kick the genius in the nads,, who thought putting a rubber seal between an alumunum head and a steel block was a good idea. To make it worst offer less than 3 hours warrenty time to replace said screw up

the good - 3.3 water pumps. They are notorius to leak but at least there about as easy to replace as they can be.
Posted By: DennisH

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/16/11 01:51 PM

There's always stuff but I'm happy with the 69, 06 and 09.
Posted By: klunick

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/16/11 03:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Stratus for sure as I know from personal experience. I think the Intrepids and last FWD NewYorkers were too.

Yep, Sebrings too. I was stunned by the stupidity. Others have already mentioned the Small Bolt/big Bolt wheels, crimp on coupler, ampmeter are a few mess ups. How about non-standard gauge sizes, glove box door without a latch on a 67 a-body=step on gas and open glove box, some of the one year only features on my 67's suspension. Complex installation and removal of the rear side windows on my Barracuda mean it is more practical to put them in before the quarters are welded on. The flip side is almost everything is fixable or can be improved upon with a little ingenuity!!

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/16/11 03:51 PM

Amp gauges on 70s trucks, or how about keeping the same truck body style 72-93 but changing the body lines in 81 so that a 81-93 box will fit my 76 Power Wagon and work but not look right.

How bout using Mitsubishi engines well past the point of having our own very reliable line of 4 cylinder and V6 engines?

Diamond Star Motors...'nuff said.

2.2/2.5 timing belt design (non interference) Yay! Mitsu 4s, not so much...:(

3.6 Pentastar engine, yay! 2.7 sludge engine,

Oh, and, anyone else enjoy changing the oil filter on 3.7 Jeep Libertys 08-up? Ugh! Tight and difficult to see!
Which leads me to...who thought making Mopar oil filters BLACK was a good idea??

JS

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/16/11 04:11 PM

Speaking of Mitsu engines, why did they ever switch from the common 3.0L down to a 2.5L version and then back to the 3.0? 3.0 was very common in the early 90s, then mid 90s Avenger, Sebring, Eclipse went to the 2.5, then back to the 3.0 around 2001...?

Anyone ever notice Mitsubishi FWD drivetrains are backwards to ours? Chrysler uses an East-West arrangement, whereas Mitsubishi cars use a West-East style...(our engines sit with the front at the passenger side, their drivetrains face the drivers side)...meaning that, when we choose Mitsubishi as our Japanese partner, we couldn't even easily share powertrains.

Dodge Challenger...Imported from Japan, with the new 2.6L Hemi! Ugh!
I prefer my Mopar 10 imported from Canada with 5.7L Hemi!

JS
Posted By: Twostick

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/16/11 04:35 PM

Quote:

Here is a good one many may not know. But on the old reduction gear starters when I would rebuild them Ma put a washer on end of the armature where the brushes go with 4 bent legs on it. It worked great when assembling the starter as the washer would hold the 4 brushes in place so you could slip the armature right in and the brushes would fall in place against the armature when it pushed the washer out. It really made it much easier when assembling it. Ron

Once you figured out (read somebody told you) why that washer had those goofy legs on it.

Kevin
Posted By: GasHog72

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/16/11 09:31 PM

Bad: 80's 2.2L/2.5L engines were junk. First big thing to go...the main bearings. Caravans, Shadows you could hear the rod banging around in most after 100,000 miles. They also had the stupid idea of putting the ECU wiring harness by the battery which resulted in the wiring getting corroded from the battery acid which caused random shutdowns and bare wires. 2003-2004 stratus has a horrible dash problem with the outer vinyl layer just peeling right off when exposed to defrost heat and sunlight. The rear disc brakes are not so easy to get off. They are held in place by something INSIDE the rotor like a drum. Never did get the back discs off. Never found out why the adjuster didn't let me remove it. Glad I sold it.

Good: Early 60's body styling.

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/17/11 04:36 AM

The 2.2 & 2.5 were know for piston pins getting loose and knocking. Had to replace the pistons to correct. Lost count of how many I did. Ron
Posted By: HYPER8oSoNic

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/17/11 11:23 PM

Bad: After 78', NO MORE big block Mopar Engines being factory built, so they did not catch the "fuel injection" technology directly, as the small block and the HEMI (Gen 3) did.

Good: Big blocks keep growing in displacement, as well as the aftermarket SHOWERING them with so much
parts and equipment, it's mind boggling!! Just wish they would come-up with a Max-Wedge (port sized) intake for the B' engine!

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/18/11 02:51 PM

To the guy that mentioned the rear brake rotor that was held on like a drum...the something inside was the parking brake, which works just like drum brakes on the inside of the rotor "hat". Not really a Mopar thing, at least, not exclusively...they are all pretty much that way now.

JS

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/18/11 02:57 PM

My 2010 Jeep Liberty only has 1 factory power outlet! One!! Making it just as convenient and advanced as my 76 Power Wagon! (albeit at a drastically increased price)...!

That's just stupid. Liberty platform gets NO upgrades as it's due to be replaced soon, but that means no MyGig radios for Libertys! ??

Wife is looking to upgrade her ride, may end up with a new Compass which has MyGig, two power outlets, and better fuel economy. Sheesh, other than the difficult oil change and the above issues, she really like the Liberty. I would've traded up to a newer Liberty with the Pentastar engine, but that's not coming, either, so Liberty buyers are stuck with the 3.7 engine (standard and ONLY engine in the Liberty)

JS
Posted By: dodgefarmer

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/18/11 03:46 PM

Bad- Internal water pump in th 2.7L and special tooling required to bleed air out of the coolant system.

Randy
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/18/11 04:22 PM

Quote:

Which leads me to...who thought making Mopar oil filters BLACK was a good idea??

JS

Adventurer; What is wrong with a black oil filter?
Posted By: HYPER8oSoNic

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/18/11 05:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

JS

Whats wrong with 'em "Good guys (motors) wear black", quote on a Chuck Norris flick with a twist. I like the
black filters because of the greasy prints left on those orange and white filters, removing and installing them! Don't have to keep cleaning them.

Posted By: 2734bbl

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/18/11 09:45 PM

mid 90's to early 2000's 2.5L Stratus,Sebring(coupe and convertable are 2 different cars completely,but both junk)and Cirrus were complete catastrophies.

I'd like to meet the guy who designed the K frame on those cars and the guy who came up with the cooler line check valve on the trucks and Jeeps with about 2 feet of 5/8 heater hose handy.

01-05 minivan rear trans(firewall side) mount and lower ball joint stud with BOTH a lock nut and blue lock tight and you cant screw it all the way off without pushing the CV axle back.As a matter of fact most every bolt below the skin on these has locktight.Blower motor resistor on these...well...um... they blow...

Goofy cooling system on the early Cherokees with the bottle by the firewall.Upper rear shock bolts on these are dreadfull also

Dashes on 94-01 trucks...

I still wish I knew why Chrysler was obsessed with a different bellhousing pattern or trans case for each engine or platform.The same motor and trans in a truck and jeep but the starter is on opposite sides and uses a diffrent starter.
Posted By: 71yelladustr

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/20/11 03:38 AM

The bad: Late 90s and up Grand cherokee cooling fan relay placement.
Power transfer units on AWD Journeys, GETRAG produced, need I say more. The new 62TE FWD auto transmissions. What a POS.
The good: The vehicles they produce are generally easier to work on than the other brands.

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/21/11 12:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

JS

On the Liberty, the oil filter is very hard to see, and in black, it blends right in with the suspension. That's about it...white Napa Gold filters are much easier to see/find when changing the oil...that's all.

JS
Posted By: Prince_Valiant

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/21/11 04:52 AM

Bad: so many different K frames, bellhousing patterns, engine mounts...the only time I envy a GM guy is when they take a 250 inline 6 and bolt a 454 to it. Too easy.

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/21/11 04:56 AM

It seems that it would've been a LOT easier to make a single k frame for each body type. They often used totally different engine brackets anyway.
Posted By: joedust451

Re: The good and BAD things the Ma MoPar engineers did .... - 06/21/11 01:11 PM

The good. The styling/Perf. of the older mopars & the way they stood out from the rest.

The Bad. The look on my dads face when i brought one home, He'd say, Geeezzzz, another junky chrysler product. .

Ya know, its funny, there is some truth to what my old man was telling me .
© 2024 Moparts Forums